Is a .2 voltage drop overnight normal for 2018 civic?

sdegg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 18
I have a 2018 Civic. Just had the battery replaced at the dealer 3 months ago. I measured my battery voltage yesterday around noon, and it was 11.77 volts. This afternoon, it measured 11.55 volts, and I had to jump-start my car. Is a 0.2 voltage drop overnight normal?
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not trying to give you crap but why ask here? You shouldn't be seeing voltage in the 11's with a new battery.

I mean, you just bought a battery from a dealer 3 months ago and it already conked out. You should be at the dealership right now having them take care of it. Honda batteries purchased from a dealer have a long warranty.

100 month Honda battery warrany
  • For the first 36 months of your warranty, our Honda service center will replace your Honda battery, covering the battery, labor, and installation at no cost to you.
  • For the remaining 64 months, you’ll receive a credit to cover part of the cost of replacement.

Last edited:

longthaitran91

Suiton20
First Name
Long
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 honda civic si
Country flag
Why was the voltage below 12v to begin with? Do you have any high powered amp installed to your car?

OP
OP

sdegg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 18
I'm not trying to give you crap but why ask here? You shouldn't be seeing voltage in the 11's with a new battery.

I mean, you just bought a battery from a dealer 3 months ago and it already conked out. You should be at the dealership right now having them take care of it. Honda batteries purchased from a dealer have a long warranty.
Went to two different dealers, they say my battery is totally fine and I just need to drive more. Also went to O'Reilly and they didn't find any problems with the battery. My last long-distance drive, about 4 hours, was 2 weeks ago. Since then, I have been taking 1~2 mile short trips here or there. Could that be the problem?

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
.2v is not a lot overnight, but a normal battery would sit at around 12.4v (75%) and a full battery would be 12.7v (100%)

Zelk77

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
I had a similar issue with my Accord. With a new battery it would not start after 3-4 days sitting. The voltage would be at 11 volts. I took it into the shop and they said that it wasn't being driven enough. I've had cars that sat for a few weeks start with no problem. Finally the starter died and wouldn't turn over. It was replaced and I haven't had it happen again.
Sponsored