Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well well well, look what I got in the mail today 😂

rec.jpg
Got the same letter the day before I installed your AEM fuel pump kit. 😂

Since it was going to be a while before they would have parts available I just decided to go ahead and take care of it myself. Only took about 4 hours, including taking out the seats and reinstalling them.

Getting the locking ring off and then on was the biggest pain, even with the right tool and breaker bar… that thing is on tight.

It is also surprising how much dirt and road debris gets up on the fuel tank. Spent a decent amount of time vacuuming and wiping it up.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuel pump recall IMG_0225

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuel pump recall IMG_0226

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuel pump recall IMG_0227

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuel pump recall IMG_0228

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuel pump recall IMG_0231

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuel pump recall IMG_0234

dellyjoughnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner, '19 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
I took the initiative to personally email Honda of America for clarification regarding the CA DMV requirements about using an aftermarket fuel pump for this recall. I live in California so it applies to me.

They said “Honda Dealer won’t sign off” on the use of the aftermarket part for the fix for this recall. Have to use OEM part when available.

To me, that says no reimbursement and no CA DMV certificate if using an aftermarket part for repair. Anyone who lives in California will need to put back the faulty OEM pump prior to going to the dealer for replacement.

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R (Rallye Red), 2002 RSX-S (shell)
Country flag
I got the letter last Wednesday. On Thursday I drove from Orlando to Miami to get on a cruise. Dropped off the luggage and went to drive to the parking garage. Car started and died a few seconds later. Fuel pump failed. When I returned to port after the cruise on Monday, AAA towed my car back to my Honda dealer here in Orlando. First 100 miles were covered, but the remaining 130 were $7 per mile. Repair will be covered under the recall, but they don't know when they will get the replacement part. The dealer just called and said if they can't fix it by tomorrow, they will provide me a car to drive. Not sure if it will be a loaner or a rental.

It might be a good idea to refrain from taking the car on any long trips until the fuel pump is replaced under the recall.

UPDATE: It is now one month since posting this, and my CTR is still at the dealer waiting on the recall fuel pump repair kit! I have been driving a 2023 Passport for the past three weeks. Latest status is they hope to receive the repair kit today (Friday) or Monday. I suspect mistakes were made getting the kit properly ordered because Honda of America customer service said a limited supply of the repair kits are readily available but require manufacturer authorization to order.

Last edited:

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Maybe I was lucky. I just went to my AAA to get my registration for my R. Was kinda anxious because of the recall and the clause saying that "DMV will not renew your registration until the recall is done." Well guess what, i got my new registration with sticker.:headbang: All that was said on my registration notice renewal was that there was a recall and to go to a website to find out what it is.

Averia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Supply must be total broken. Looks like fuel pumps will not be available in my area until Sept-Oct 2024. Should my pump fail the instruction is to call Honda Roadside Assistance and they will replace it with a non-recall pump and still have to return when the pumps are available to have it replaced again.

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Supply must be total broken. Looks like fuel pumps will not be available in my area until Sept-Oct 2024. Should my pump fail the instruction is to call Honda Roadside Assistance and they will replace it with a non-recall pump and still have to return when the pumps are available to have it replaced again.
Ya. I went to my dealership for the recall and said that the part "might" be available in the summer time. So I put my name on a list and so far I'm the third one on the list. Also he said it would take @ 2 hrs.

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R (Rallye Red), 2002 RSX-S (shell)
Country flag
The problem is not a lack of available fuel pump assemblies. If out of warranty, FREE repair under the recall requires using the recall repair kit which repairs the existing fuel pump assembly. This was told to me by both the dealer service advisor and Honda recall customer support. The repair kits are limited availability until Fall 2024.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
Surprise, I got a letter from Honda today telling me that my 2018 CTR in fact does NOT have the recalled fuel pump module, so, never mind.
Sponsored