Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Greetings all
Honda has finally updated the most recent fuel pump bullitens to include procedure, parts, and customer notifications.

18-20 Civic Type R: Safety Recall 24-029
18-20 Civic Si: Safety Recall 24-027
18-20 Civic: Safety Recall 24-008

BACKGROUND
On December 18, 2023, American Honda notified NHTSA of its intention to initiate a STOP SALE and safety recall for a certain number of 2018–20 Civic units in order to replace the fuel pump motor manufactured with defective impellers. Due to swelling of the fuel pump motor impeller, the fuel pump may seize and stop working. A defective impeller may cause the fuel pump to become inoperative, which could prevent an engine from functioning as intended. This limitation may cause a loss of motive power or a stall while being driven, increasing the risk of a crash or injury, creating a safety hazard. If this bulletin appears during an iN VIN status inquiry, the vehicle is subject to a safety recall. Any affected vehicles in your dealer inventory are on STOP SALE until further notice. Refrain from calling Tech Line for updates.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of the affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign. They will be informed that due to a limited supply of parts (at this time) Honda is prioritizing the repair of customer vehicles experiencing symptoms related to this recall. When adequate replacement parts become available, Honda will send a follow-up letter to customers instructing them to schedule an appointment for all vehicles affected by this recall. If a customer experiences the known symptoms associated with this safety recall (see CORRECTIVE ACTION), they are instructed to contact their local Honda dealer for the repair. For any questions or concerns customers may have, you may have them contact American Honda Customer Support & Campaign Center at 1-888-234-2138. The following suggested text should be included on any repair order for an already sold affected vehicle that comes in for service. This information should be printed out completely any time service is conducted on an affected vehicle, and the recall repair has not yet been completed. Depending on parts availability, the normal procedures under SOM 7.2.1 will apply for this recall.

Suggested Verbiage to be Included on the Repair Order Customer was advised that: The vehicle is subject to a recall affecting the fuel pump motor. The parts necessary to complete the recall repair are currently limited. Vehicles with eligible VINs and the following symptoms: difficulty starting, engine hesitation while driving, and/or an illuminated check engine light displayed with DTC P0087, are eligible for immediate repair. Once parts repair kits are available, if the vehicle has not been repaired, the registered owner of the vehicle will receive a notice to bring the vehicle in for a replacement of the components, regardless of symptom.

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Vehicles that are both shown as an eligible VIN and experiencing the following symptoms will be prioritized for repair: difficulty starting, engine hesitation while driving, and/or an illuminated check engine light displayed with DTC P0087 (Fuel Rail Pressure Too Low) stored.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Replace the fuel pump motor. NOTE: If the vehicle has any of the symptoms listed in BACKGROUND, you must apply this bulletin before attempting any other repairs. If the symptoms remain after the recall repair is complete, only attempt further repairs (such as replacing the high-pressure fuel pump) after authorized troubleshooting.

You can call or visit your local Honda dealer to check to see if your vehicle is affected if you have not yet received the notification.

Anyone can message me for any questions, I will be glad to help.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Romeoridgee

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was one of the lucky ones who didnt need it a few years ago, but now my vin is on the list.

Fountainhead

First Name
ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Mine was changed a while back during the first recall, I hesitated because up to that point I'd had no issues. I took my car in with maybe 1/8 of a tank and took the seats out myself. Took less than an hour since they didn't have to screw with seats or a tankful of gas. Car didn't smell like gas afterward either.
Right after that I filled the car up about 1/2 in case it was going to leak and drove spiritedly to slosh things around. Haven't had a problem since.

Averia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I just called Smith Honda in Idaho Falls and they are waiting on parts and to call back in March. I have my rear seat bottom out because I can fit my road bikes in in the back without taking off the wheels and it gives me easy access if I don't drive the car often to drain the tank. Good to hear that it will take just an 1 hour that way because the dealership is 70 miles away.

OP
OP
Romeoridgee

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just called Smith Honda in Idaho Falls and they are waiting on parts and to call back in March. I have my rear seat bottom out because I can fit my road bikes in in the back without taking off the wheels and it gives me easy access if I don't drive the car often to drain the tank. Good to hear that it will take just an 1 hour that way because the dealership is 70 miles away.
That will make it easier for them to service.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I was one of the lucky ones who didnt need it a few years ago, but now my vin is on the list.
My 2018 Type R was the same case, now my VIN shows it under the updated fuel pump recall.

I am most likely not going to bring my car in, because I am at 95K miles/6 years old, and my fuel pump has been fine. If it was bad, it would have failed already.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Is there a website we can check our VIN against?

OP
OP
Romeoridgee

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My 2018 Type R was the same case, now my VIN shows it under the updated fuel pump recall.

I am most likely not going to bring my car in, because I am at 95K miles/6 years old, and my fuel pump has been fine. If it was bad, it would have failed already.
You should get it done anyway so it doesnt leave you stranded one day.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag

I'm at just over 100k miles and about to hit 6 years. But I did notice that my gas mileage has turned to shit in the past 6 or so months. I originally assumed the new plugs, valve lash adjustment, clutch, and new transmission would fix the issue, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I think the fuel pump might actually be leaking a little fuel. The car drives fine otherwise. Failed, failing, and going to fail are 3 different things. I think Honda is basically saying if it hasn't failed it's either in the process of failing or going to fail in the near future. I actually can't wait to get my fuel pump replaced. Partly because I'm planning on tuning the car after.

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag

I know I posted it in the other thread but figured it'd be worth sharing here too for guys like you who don't want to take their car to the dealer. Our plug n play in tank fuel pump upgrade is dropping by the end of the month, we're almost done building inventory for it and the install guide is already on our site!

https://www.wunderladenracing.com/b...0th-gen-civic-in-tank-fuel-pump-install-guide

Honda Civic 10th gen Fuel Pump Recall Now Available civic-fuel-pump-upgrade

Averia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Checked- my Si VIN is on the recall. Since my dealership is 70 miles away I think getting the Wunderladen drop in will be my preferred option. I wonder if Honda will reimburse the cost of the pump? They would be getting labor for free... Still trying to figure out the install process for the 16790-6B2-A01 Accord 2.0T HPFP I have in a box somewhere too.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
You should get it done anyway so it doesnt leave you stranded one day.
I know that recalls are no charge, but I would honestly purchase the revised fuel pump and replace it myself for a piece of mind. The main reason is my car has a bunch of engine mods, as well as being custom tuned. I do not want a dealer technician messing with my car.

I'm at just over 100k miles and about to hit 6 years. But I did notice that my gas mileage has turned to shit in the past 6 or so months. I originally assumed the new plugs, valve lash adjustment, clutch, and new transmission would fix the issue, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I think the fuel pump might actually be leaking a little fuel. The car drives fine otherwise. Failed, failing, and going to fail are 3 different things. I think Honda is basically saying if it hasn't failed it's either in the process of failing or going to fail in the near future. I actually can't wait to get my fuel pump replaced. Partly because I'm planning on tuning the car after.
Along with regular maintenance, my car has been full bolt on aside from a stock downpipe, and custom tuned for over 60K miles. I drive pretty aggressive as well, and have not noticed any deviation in MPG or engine performance. It has always been consistent. If my fuel pump ends up going bad, I will replace it on my own.

OP
OP
Romeoridgee

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I know that recalls are no charge, but I would honestly purchase the revised fuel pump and replace it myself for a piece of mind. The main reason is my car has a bunch of engine mods, as well as being custom tuned. I do not want a dealer technician messing with my car.
If that is your prerogative, then can’t argue with it. I wish you were closer so I could take care of it myself for ya for your peace of mind.

OP
OP
Romeoridgee

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Checked- my Si VIN is on the recall. Since my dealership is 70 miles away I think getting the Wunderladen drop in will be my preferred option. I wonder if Honda will reimburse the cost of the pump? They would be getting labor for free... Still trying to figure out the install process for the 16790-6B2-A01 Accord 2.0T HPFP I have in a box somewhere too.
Honda would most likely reimburse you if you paid to replace the tank pump at a Honda dealer due to pump motor failure before the recall came out.
Sponsored