MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
What setups are you all using for mounting your cameras, tablets, and phones when tracking? How stable have you found the video to be? Has anyone (i.e. tech inspection) every had any concerns with safety? How well does it show the cockpit? Any good setups that show the foot pedals too?

Though I have a specific interest, I'm sure this is something many of use can benefit from. I'm currently just mounting my phone on the glass with a suction mount, but I really want a cockpit view (as I can always use my dashcam for front video), but I often run with a passenger so can mount it to the passenger seat.
Sponsored

BLUUUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
I developed my own camera mounting solution that leverages the dome light.

First added spacers to the two screws on the dome light( sourced longer screws as well), then attached a motorbike mount to angle the arm away from the dome light, then extension down to an acceptable height. I then have a GoPro Session 5 attached. Not sure how well heavier cameras would fair with this setup. I've since added some foam material to take up the space between the dome light and the headliner. I've had to retighten this design a few times but overall its been stable. If I was a 3D printing wizard, I would print out the spacer to take up the space and add more rigidity to the mounting solution.

I have a proclip mount on the dash where I mount an android tablet with SoloStorm to record runs with GPS/OBD/CAN Data from a RaceCapture Mk3

Honda Civic 10th gen Camera Mount Setups Screen Shot 2022-09-20 at 2.43.02 PM

I'm looking to get a Go Pro 11 Mini when they come out.

Here's an example video, overall the video is good, but the sound quality kind of sucks with the Session 5.

Happy to share the specific bits I purchased, I may do a write up of the install if there is interest.

OP
OP
MadMage

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Very nice, thanks. I'm interested. Looks nice and stable. How long are the spacers? And by chance do you have a link to the mount or other parts you use?

bicbaws

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 FK8, 97 E36 M3, 02 E46 M3, 02 E46 330Ci
Country flag
I'm too lazy to export my video with a passenger in it, but I ran the same setup as the one in this video - Gorilla Pod. Currently $50 at BestBuy.

With passenger

No passenger

BLUUUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Here's the bracket, added some washers and spacers to get the spacing right between the dome light and the headliner. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZGLNW56/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01

Extended Arm:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0988YBPVF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

Fairly simple install.
Remove Dome Light cover with tiny flathead screwdriver or interior tool
Remove two philips screws attaching the domelight to headliner/body
Install longer screws with spacers and washers to accomodate the new bracket
(Will edit later with sizing)
Reinstall everything back and add extended arm and go pro.

OP
OP
MadMage

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
I've been using a suction cup mount on my rear passenger window that positions my gopro right above where a passenger's right shoulder would be. Hasn't given me any issues and has a fair amount of adjustability. My only complaint is how much wind noise there is in this location, I need to figure out a solution for an external mic.

OP
OP
MadMage

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I've been using a suction cup mount on my rear passenger window that positions my gopro right above where a passenger's right shoulder would be. Hasn't given me any issues and has a fair amount of adjustability. My only complaint is how much wind noise there is in this location, I need to figure out a solution for an external mic.
Well damn, that's a simple solution! I normally run with all 4 windows down to limit wind noise, but this is a good view.

1sloazfk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
This was my set up I had for SLB which is pretty standard for my in car minus a few cables (this was for livestreaming.) Beyond that I have GoPro mounts on both front and rear tow hooks.
Honda Civic 10th gen Camera Mount Setups PXL_20230310_170032736

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
I use a GoPro wrist strap in the passenger seat opening. It works good enough.

Baldilocks

First Name
Jacen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Funny as I've just today started a thread on a very similar topic: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/in-car-dials-pedal-camera-setup.82095/#post-1233080

I'm trying to figure out a setup that would capture pedals/dials. Currently thinking a gorillapod clinging to passenger seat with a cheap older model go pro might work.

For the main cam, I use a 360 cam with the mount clamped to the rear view mirror arm using these two:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01A6KJDFG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
and
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225147377766?var=524055010501

ETA: i might consider relocating the 360 cam to the dome light, based on the above response from BLUUUR. Which would save me needing to purchase another cam. Might not be so great for capturing passenger reactions tho

Baldilocks

First Name
Jacen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Here's the bracket, added some washers and spacers to get the spacing right between the dome light and the headliner. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZGLNW56/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01

Extended Arm:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0988YBPVF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

Fairly simple install.
Remove Dome Light cover with tiny flathead screwdriver or interior tool
Remove two philips screws attaching the domelight to headliner/body
Install longer screws with spacers and washers to accomodate the new bracket
(Will edit later with sizing)
Reinstall everything back and add extended arm and go pro.
Hey dude, any chance you can update us with the sizings of the longer screws and washers? I know this was some time ago now, but I'm looking to order up the bits for mine. Thanks!

BLUUUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R
Country flag
Hey dude, any chance you can update us with the sizings of the longer screws and washers? I know this was some time ago now, but I'm looking to order up the bits for mine. Thanks!
Sorry for the delay!

I took everything apart last night and made some measurements.

This is all based on the GoPro mount that I linked above.

You'll want to use some washers or slightly larger bushings to space things out appropriately.

Two screws about two inches in length to make up the added distance for the go pro mount
Honda Civic 10th gen Camera Mount Setups Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 1.42.29 PM

I purchased some black plastic spacers and some washers to ensure the dome light still is grounded.

You'll want about .4 inches for the side with the mount since the mount itself with make up the difference on the other screw
Honda Civic 10th gen Camera Mount Setups Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 1.42.12 PM

Other side is about .6 inches of height..

Honda Civic 10th gen Camera Mount Setups Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 1.42.04 PM

Once you have the spacers and the longer screws, the tricky part is getting it all in there. I used some tape to hold the screws against the dome light to make things a little easier.

Once you have things together, it should look like this when you are about to put it in. Keep in mind the spacers and I used the washers since my spacers weren't quite wide enough.

Honda Civic 10th gen Camera Mount Setups Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 1.56.29 PM

Installing into the car...
Depending on your spacers, you may need to have one above the go pro mount here.

Goal is to make the dome light level again since your spacers and the go pro mount will add flex.
Honda Civic 10th gen Camera Mount Setups Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 1.57.35 PM

Hope this helps! and let me know if you have any questions!

Baldilocks

First Name
Jacen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Sorry for the delay!

I took everything apart last night and made some measurements.

This is all based on the GoPro mount that I linked above.

You'll want to use some washers or slightly larger bushings to space things out appropriately.

Two screws about two inches in length to make up the added distance for the go pro mount
Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 1.42.29 PM.png

I purchased some black plastic spacers and some washers to ensure the dome light still is grounded.

You'll want about .4 inches for the side with the mount since the mount itself with make up the difference on the other screw
Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 1.42.12 PM.png

Other side is about .6 inches of height..

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 1.42.04 PM.png

Once you have the spacers and the longer screws, the tricky part is getting it all in there. I used some tape to hold the screws against the dome light to make things a little easier.

Once you have things together, it should look like this when you are about to put it in. Keep in mind the spacers and I used the washers since my spacers weren't quite wide enough.

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 1.56.29 PM.png

Installing into the car...
Depending on your spacers, you may need to have one above the go pro mount here.

Goal is to make the dome light level again since your spacers and the go pro mount will add flex.
Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 1.57.35 PM.png

Hope this helps! and let me know if you have any questions!
LEGEND!

Thank you so much for this pal!

fk8jon

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
BUMP, would love to see how people are mounting their cameras to capture the driver and road course. I just started tracking my FK8 and I want to record myself so I can hopefully learn from it.
Sponsored