Bumper attached front splitter on track?

zombiephysio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (Boost Blue)
Country flag
Good morning fellow Type R owners!

I've registered fory first track day, and all the guides, builds, and general threads have been super helpful, so thank you all in advance :)

Onto my current question. I've got Battle Aero carbon fiber front and side splitters installed on the car. They are securely attached to the front bumper with bolts and 3M automotive tape, and the side splitters are held by some quick screws as well as 3M tape.

Incidentally I saw a couple of videos, and a couple of posts online where other Type R owners have had their front bumper clips snap, or the connection between the front lip and bumper full on crack due to the downforce caused by the front splitter being installed onto the OEM bumper, instead of something mounted to the chassis.

I did ask Battle Aero if their chassis Mount hardware can be ordered and have my front splitter installed on it, but unfortunately the front bumper splitter and chassis mounted splitter are not the same, so mine is not compatible.

What is everyone's experience? Should I remove the front splitter? Is it a rare occurrence, or quite high risk?

Would love to get some feedback and suggestions :)

Thanks in advance from Canada!
Sponsored

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
So the front splitter of our cars are held on by nothing but push clips, and a couple of like 10mm screws iirc. If youre on the track with a splitter thats attached to just that, I would bet the downforce would pull your splitter off the bumper.

I feel like the battle aero is supposed to be chassis mounted, and if so, I would strongly suggest buying the chassis mounting kit so you can do that, OR just take it off for the weekend and reinstall it.

REDRAGN

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Country flag
Good morning fellow Type R owners!

I've registered fory first track day, and all the guides, builds, and general threads have been super helpful, so thank you all in advance :)

Onto my current question. I've got Battle Aero carbon fiber front and side splitters installed on the car. They are securely attached to the front bumper with bolts and 3M automotive tape, and the side splitters are held by some quick screws as well as 3M tape.

Incidentally I saw a couple of videos, and a couple of posts online where other Type R owners have had their front bumper clips snap, or the connection between the front lip and bumper full on crack due to the downforce caused by the front splitter being installed onto the OEM bumper, instead of something mounted to the chassis.

I did ask Battle Aero if their chassis Mount hardware can be ordered and have my front splitter installed on it, but unfortunately the front bumper splitter and chassis mounted splitter are not the same, so mine is not compatible.

What is everyone's experience? Should I remove the front splitter? Is it a rare occurrence, or quite high risk?

Would love to get some feedback and suggestions :)

Thanks in advance from Canada!
Easy decision, its your first track day and you'll have lots to learn and do!

Take them off and don't risk it! Once you have a few track days under your belt, you might actually benefit from some proper aero...but at first it wont help as you are learning the car and your limits.

1sloazfk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
So the front splitter of our cars are held on by nothing but push clips, and a couple of like 10mm screws iirc. If youre on the track with a splitter thats attached to just that, I would bet the downforce would pull your splitter off the bumper.

I feel like the battle aero is supposed to be chassis mounted, and if so, I would strongly suggest buying the chassis mounting kit so you can do that, OR just take it off for the weekend and reinstall it.
I got curious and checked because Battle Aero was a setup I looked at for a splitter, looks like they have both the bumper and chassis mount options, unless its the same splitter for both, in which case buy the brackets later.

I also concur that you just take it off for the first few track days you have, once you get comfortable throw it back on. This also gives you time to look into finding a stronger mounting option.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zombiephysio

zombiephysio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (Boost Blue)
Country flag
Thanks guys, it sounds like I should definitey take off the splitter for now. I'm just curious even if I had a lot of experience and could push the car, would the bumper mounted splitter survive, or would it basically rip off lol if that's the case, it would mean that I'm better off selling this one and eventually decide to get a chassis mounted one if I need the aero.

Yes the Battle Aero has 2 different front splitters, one designed to be attached to the bumper only (which I have), and another which is designed to be attached to a chassis mount bracket. I asked them if I could buy the brackets separately and attach my current splitter, but they said it is not compatible and would have to get the chassis mounted splitter specifically.

1sloazfk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I've seen bumper mounted splitters fall off on the highway (i bought mine from someone who had that happen) so on track its possible. You could replace the push clips with nuts and bolts with washers for more holding power but that may have its own caveats.

It would most likely survive right up until it doesn't though. Just have to check it occasionally and tighten anything that is loose.
Sponsored