What things should I buy for better audio?

DOZOIR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe (lunar silver)
Country flag
Did the tweeters fit into the sails without issue?

Would Infinity Reference be a good choice for door speakers and tweeters (https://a.co/d/av2AzoO) and center speaker (https://a.co/d/2q1rTmi)?
The Infinity Reference component speakers are excellent! The tweeters fit in the sail panels with some modification. I have them in my SI coupe and also had them in my RSX Type S.

As far as the center speaker, I left it powered by the OEM amp and have the component door speakers powered by an auxiliary amp. I like sound separation, so the center speaker is not important to me.
Sponsored

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The Infinity Reference component speakers are excellent! The tweeters fit in the sail panels with some modification. I have them in my SI coupe and also had them in my RSX Type S.

As far as the center speaker, I left it powered by the OEM amp and have the component door speakers powered by an auxiliary amp. I like sound separation, so the center speaker is not important to me.
Could I plug and play install on my Type R the door speakers and tweeters without using the crossovers? I know the tweeters need an additional harness like the center speaker, but I believe the door speakers shouldn't. I just don't want the added complexity of mounting/wiring the Infinity crossovers.

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, FC1, Accord CU1
Country flag
Try to get an 3 ohm woofer, so you can get a little more power ;-)

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
This is what I had done. Note that the Infinity speakers would need an auxiliary amp to power them as the OEM amp is not sufficient.
https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/adding-component-door-speakers-to-premium-audio.64137/
I didn't realize the Infinity speakers required an amp. Is there a different set of door speakers and tweeters that I could just plug and play on my Type R with stock amp that would be an upgrade? Just trying to keep it simple. Gonna go with the powered spare tire subwoofer wired into the stock sub wiring and replace the center speaker.

OP
OP

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
Is it worth trying to replace the mic?
I feel like Siri’s comprehension is terrible in the car and in part it’s the mic.

DOZOIR

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe (lunar silver)
Country flag
I didn't realize the Infinity speakers required an amp. Is there a different set of door speakers and tweeters that I could just plug and play on my Type R with stock amp that would be an upgrade? Just trying to keep it simple. Gonna go with the powered spare tire subwoofer wired into the stock sub wiring and replace the center speaker.
One could use the Infinity speakers on the stock amp, but they may not sound as good given that they would be underpowered.

Believe me, what I had done is a significant improvement over the stock speaker setup. Other forum members who have done something similar would agree.

By the way, I also have a replacement sub wired to the stock sub wiring.

In my opinion, to see overall improvement in sound besides the addition of new sub, one needs to "correct" the front soundstage as I and many have done (better front speakers and more amp power).

Last edited:

Swmmo

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic hatchback sonic pearl gray
Country flag
Following…just for clarity, it seems like those who had the spare tire sub (CW or JBL), would say it made a worth-while difference… yes?

I’ve been debating one for sometime, but worried it would just be muffled and a waste of money.

I’m not looking for crazy bass to shatter windows or anything, but just add some depth to my stock fk7 system.

TIA!

TOYFAN2

First Name
ANDREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 LX, 2019 SPORT SEDAN 2.0, 2021 SPORT 2.0
Country flag
$1000 is plenty of budget! I spent half that and I'm happy with my setup. It consists of:
  • Alpine S-S65C component speakers
    • comes with 6.5" speakers and 1" silk dome tweeters for front door/pillar
  • JL C2-350x center speaker
    • Best bang for your buck! Buy as a pair and sell one off. Combine this with a foam baffle
  • Cerwin Vega VPAS10 powered sub
    • Not ground-shaking, but provides modest bass and have it located under my driver seat
Do you enjoy the sub under your seat? I've seen these but was unsure if it would actually work or even fit. I'm not looking to break windows but just fill in the void left by the stock system. Do you have your seat adjusted all the way down? I'm 6' so I have mine dropped

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Do you enjoy the sub under your seat? I've seen these but was unsure if it would actually work or even fit. I'm not looking to break windows but just fill in the void left by the stock system. Do you have your seat adjusted all the way down? I'm 6' so I have mine dropped
Gone are the days where I had MTX sledgehammer subs flexing glass and setting off car alarms 😂

I'm very happy with this little underseat sub. One of my first mods 5 years ago. There is space under the seat rails, so even if you dropped the seat all the way, you should still be fine.

Honda Civic 10th gen What things should I buy for better audio? 20190725_183314

TOYFAN2

First Name
ANDREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 LX, 2019 SPORT SEDAN 2.0, 2021 SPORT 2.0
Country flag
Gone are the days where I had MTX sledgehammer subs flexing glass and setting off car alarms 😂

I'm very happy with this little underseat sub. One of my first mods 5 years ago. There is space under the seat rails, so even if you dropped the seat all the way, you should still be fine.

20190725_183314.jpg
what did you tap into for the speaker signal and the remote on?

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

lightthief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Civic Touring
Country flag
When I had my 2016 EX-L I had the JBL BassPro Hub, it goes right in with the spare tire so its out of the way and you can still easily access the spare tire. Worked really well with the OEM head unit with no issues. A local shop had it in stock and installed for me.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-bbO4hEAtHPd/p_109BASPROB/JBL-BassPro-Hub.html

1712609999240-e3.jpg
How much did you pay for the install?
Shop here quoted me $1400 total. So almost$1000 just for labor. Noppity nope nope. I could get a new iPhone, laptop, and TV for that quoted me for an app and DSP on top of that.

Is that normal?

Zavage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic EJ6, FC1, Accord CU1
Country flag
1000$ is way too much. My local shop charged me about 350€ ( 350$) for labor

Chilly613

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Sport Touring 6MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
How much did you pay for the install?
Shop here quoted me $1400 total. So almost$1000 just for labor. Noppity nope nope. I could get a new iPhone, laptop, and TV for that quoted me for an app and DSP on top of that.

Is that normal?
That’s way too much. Find a different shop. I got a deal on mine and paid around $550-$600 for it all together, normally it would’ve been around like $700-$800 for the sub and installation.
Sponsored