The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport Hatch 1.5t 6MT
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT

Total tuned time: <24 hours

Tuned miles driven: ~35

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 for non-SI. Also messed with the KTuner Base "Stage 1" to test throttle responsiveness while I waited for the TSP file to be sent.

Fuel used: Shell 91 only so far. Wish we had 93 more commonly in California

Additional related mods: None.

Problems/issues: None.

Driving style: I live in a car-heavy suburb with some random back roads nearby. If I'm going from stop-to-stop, I'm easing into acceleration, trying to maximize mpgs (within reason) and give people room. If that doesn't apply, I am much more throttle happy and love rowing through the gears, but don't really do WOT unless there's no stops around. Situational, but I like to have fun and go fast.

Tune experience notes: Yeah... I'm impressed. I've had this car for a little over a month (untuned) and I feel like this device + an awesome OTS tune has really unlocked it, and solved the minor "issues" I had with it. Throttle response and lack of rev hang alone makes the car noticeably peppier. Throw in that extra power and it really does feel like a complete upgrade.

Took a 10-mile drive in the afternoon when my unit arrived and just ran the KTuner base "Stage 1" on the default map, immediately was pleased with the lack of rev hang and throttle response, but didn't feel too far off at all. Couple of hours later, got my TSP tune file sent over and uploaded on to the unit, then went and flashed her again. Threw on map 2 and took an immediate pleasure drive, with the goal of putting down around 20 miles through the backroads, and through some of the spots in my bordering towns where I know I could get a decent pull off.

Holy crap folks. I've never really been tempted to race anyone before... I definitely egged some people on with a couple of takers, including a guy on a motorbike, and was beyond pleased with the results. Those 2-3 and 3-4 pulls are SERIOUS. Very, very excited to have this little device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side note:
This thing's gonna be my daily for as long as it lives, and since I've had an "old-school web forum"-shaped hole in my heart for a while, it's the perfect storm for me to be a regular contributor. You will be hearing more from me, good, bad or ugly. Glad to be in the fold.
🤝

Oh yeah, shout out to Montana Miner for egging me on a few pages back. ;)
And thanks to Wes at TSP for getting my tune file out so quick after emailing. I thought there was a chance I'd be sitting on my hands till Monday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Enjoy your new, improved car!

Yogurtbear71

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
Enjoy your new, improved car!
Sad people can't add their cars because they're lazy, but I think the work you have done so far has been incredibly important for the 10th gen community. I know my civic would still be stock and slow if it weren't for finding this thread. I'm a statistics guy and this was exactly what I needed to give me the go ahead to start working on my car and learning more about them. I salute you Mr. Gtman.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just passionate about this because I really think it's important. I was pretty nervous about tuning way back when. I started the thread to help people decide if tuning is right for them. With data to help make their decision easier.

As far as people being lazy, unfortunately it probably boils down to that as far as the low activity here

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm just passionate about this because I really think it's important. I was pretty nervous about tuning way back when. I started the thread to help people decide if tuning is right for them. With data to help make their decision easier.

As far as people being lazy, unfortunately it probably boils down to that as far as the low activity here
It is much slower here than it was a couple years back. Lots of the old members who contributed a great deal have since moved on

I imagine it might also have to do with there being a lot of info being readily available now as opposed to when this platform was new and very different from its predecessors.

Oddly enough, these forums are supposedly more active than the XI and Intergra pages

It would be nice for people to continue updating though

sbace_hamb

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7
Country flag
It is much slower here than it was a couple years back. Lots of the old members who contributed a great deal have since moved on
This spreads further out into the internet, too. Gone are the days of niche, publicly hosted forums with incredibly dedicated members in the dozens to hundreds to thousands, depending. Everyone now expects to be able to get their answer from a quick search for a Reddit post (don't even get me started on Reddit). But it is nice to know that there are still places for people who give enough of a damn, and that there's a good core community who attracts new members despite everything else.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking to that, I created my elantraclub site on dial up back in 2002. Niche communities were amazing back then. Hyundai even promoted my site on their fledgling Hyundai USA tuner site. I became friends with the head national tech trainer there. It was good times.

Then along came Facebook and Twitter and social media in general which destroyed the true community feel of those niche groups.

I still try to maintain that old school niche community spirit of helping and sharing. Unfortunately, I get frustrated because people definitely aren't the same. Oh well.

All I can do is keep trying.

Last edited:

TheDeliSauce

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Everyone now expects to be able to get their answer from a quick search for a Reddit post (don't even get me started on Reddit).
I like to think r/CivicX (No relation) is sophisticated enough to answer quick questions. Work is put in to ensure it doesn't devolve into anything resembling the Facebook groups. There is the occasional "heckler" but those are swiftly dealt with.

sbace_hamb

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7
Country flag
I like to think r/CivicX (No relation) is sophisticated enough to answer quick questions. Work is put in to ensure it doesn't devolve into anything resembling the Facebook groups. There is the occasional "heckler" but those are swiftly dealt with.
I will say that the stuff I've seen on that sub when researching has generally been informative and respectful. My issues lie more with Reddit both as a company and an idea than any individuals, although "Reddit brain" certainly makes its rounds.

RootskiSI

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Vehicle: 2019 Civic SI Coupe

Total tuned time: 2 years, 7 months

Tuned miles driven: 48k miles

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1 and 1+, Drob “E-Calibration (stock turbo), TSP R365 OTS Tune, Drob “E-Calibration”

Fuel used: Mobil 93 (exclusively)

Additional related mods: FBO RV6 Turbo (27Won Race MAF) ARP Head Studs done around 50k miles.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Some aggressive/“mexico” runs. Tend to take it easy day to day. Only launched it once since owning and don’t bounce it off rev limiter.

Tune experience notes: Overall things have been great. Never run into any issues along the way. The RV6 turbo pulls hard all the way to redline and is just straight up fun.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@RootskiSI Thanks for being part of this thread. Smart move on the head studs. Are you still on the stock clutch?

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I get a lot of "why should I bother adding my car to your tuning experience & reliability thread?", or "what's in it for me" reactions when I mention this thread.

I think (beyond the laziness factor) people don't understand what this thread is even about. They see people adding their cars and filling out the survey format. And that's all they see. But if they were to thoroughly read this thread's first post and stats maybe it would make more sense to them.

I was one of those people worried about f-ing up my car if I tuned. But I researched and researched. Read every thread here on tuning and decided to take a leap to tuning way back in 2018.

And then I thought there had to be hundreds of people like me. People who loved the idea of tuning but were afraid it would mess up their car or their warranty. Tuning topics were all over the place at the forum. In general discussions, the tuning area, the Hondata forum, the KTuner forum, the FK8 forums, on and on ...

The idea of having a single resource in one place to talk about tuning experiences, ask tuning questions and of course chart long term tuning reliability seemed like a great idea. And so I started this thread.

Look at the first post here and all the general stats, tuning information, installed mods info and failure information. None of this would be possible without people adding their tuned cars to this thread. Sure I'm the guy that started the thread and the captain of the ship so to speak.

You guys are the real stars of the show. And sure, your individual post from a year ago may get lost in the shuffle at a point, but, the info I tally from your posts is permanently part of the first post stats. It's those stats and info that help the community.

So if you're thinking "why bother adding my car, there are 1300 tuned cars there already". Or " there's no need to add an update post, I already added my car"... think again.

Every car added and every new update post helps us learn more about tuning and makes a difference.
Sponsored