MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
This talk of never using a space-saver on the front is nonsense. It's not in the user manual and I don't recall ever seeing anything about it in internal technical docs either.

It's intended for use on any corner and it's perfectly safe so long as it's used within the constraints listed on the tire itself. It's meant to get you to a tire shop/garage etc, not to be a replacement for your factory wheel.

In the FK7 and FK8 they spec'd a wheel that will fit over the front brakes. If it were only for the rear then they could have just used the same space-saver from older Civics/Accords. Also, a car with a space-saver on the rear of a FWD is actually more unpredictable to drive than on the front.
I do have the spare tire that I would like to sell along with the rear cover. I no longer need it since it's no longer my daily driver.
Sponsored

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
I do have the spare tire that I would like to sell along with the rear cover. I no longer need it since it's no longer my daily driver.
I'm also considering removing my spare tire kit. It raises the trunk floor and I can't fit my track tires in the trunk. People who doesn't have the spare tire kit can easily fit 3 tires back there.

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
I'm also considering removing my spare tire kit. It raises the trunk floor and I can't fit my track tires in the trunk. People who doesn't have the spare tire kit can easily fit 3 tires back there.
Just got through doing all that and you are right now a little more room. I think it amounts to about 2-3 inches gained in height. I always carry a second set of wheel/tire. I use 9.5/265/18 to track and carry the 8.5/19/255 combo in case of a flat or damage. That way I can swap out the fronts or rears and get back home.

I only use the car for tracking and the occasion drive through the backroads.

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
I was curious if someone needs to use the spare tire kit, where would the wheel/tire that has gone bad be stored in the car? Does it fit where the compact spare tire kit would?
I ask because I don't believe the new floor board that comes with the spare tire kit is structurally strong enough to hold the weight of the wheel/tire on top of it.

atikovi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Insight
Country flag
I was curious if someone needs to use the spare tire kit, where would the wheel/tire that has gone bad be stored in the car? Does it fit where the compact spare tire kit would?
No, of course it won't fit there, but you're not going to store it in the car long term. Just put it on the cargo floor and take it to a tire store for repair or replacement.

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
I ask because I don't believe the new floor board that comes with the spare tire kit is structurally strong enough to hold the weight of the wheel/tire on top of it.
Yeah, it's not convenient.
The full-size tire/wheel won't fit where the spare was.
The good thing is that the replacement floor piece in the spare kit will support the full wheel with no trouble. Ask me how I know.

Maximum6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000 2005, Type R 2019
Country flag
Yeah, it's not convenient.
The full-size tire/wheel won't fit where the spare was.
The good thing is that the replacement floor piece in the spare kit will support the full wheel with no trouble. Ask me how I know.
so you can put the OEM 20inch wheel on top of the new spare tire floor piece?
Does it collapse and ruin the shape of it?

MoodySara

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type R - Boost Blue; 2024 Civic Touring - SGP
Country flag
No, it won't hurt it. At least, it hasn't for me (twice).
Sponsored