R00080

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I definitely should have researched more before starting. I was swapping out my rear brake pads and rotors and everything was going good. I used an Autel to get into maintenance mode and had the new rotors on but when I was trying to compress the pison on the caliper it would not budge. I started second guessing myself and knowing better decided to try putting the car back in normal mode and then back to maintenance mode. When I did that the piston drove to infinity and the car will not go back into maintenance mode. My question now is if anyone has run into this isssue. For me to swap the caliper how can I get the car back into maintenance mode? Or is that step necessary if swapping the caliper out? I did some searching but couldn't find a solid answer on that. If anyone knows I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks!
Sponsored

GeauxCC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R
Country flag
I just changed my rear pads last week, although I didn't have an Autel. I just removed the actuator housing and turned the shaft back with an E11 socket, then pushed the piston in with a cheap piston compression kit. After replacing pads, pumping the brakes and toggling the parking brake on and off recalibrated the parking brake and everything is working fine. As far as I can tell, even if you use maintenance mode to retract the electronic actuator, you still need to compress the piston manually. Turning the actuator back with the shaft does not retract the piston, it just moves the actuator out of the way.

OP
OP
R00080

R00080

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Thats how I wish I wouldve done it. I didnt have the E11 socket and nowhere locally sold one. I'm just worried that the computer thinks there is an issue since it went back to normal mode and should not have. I'm just not sure what will happen if I replace the caliper without being in maintenance mode.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I did this. i.e. exit maintenance mode with nothing to prevent "infinity. I had to buy a new caliper assembly.

I still have the old one in a box, someday I plan to take it apart and see if I can put it back together.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
As far as I can tell, even if you use maintenance mode to retract the electronic actuator, you still need to compress the piston manually.
This is generally my experience as well. First time I changed pads maintenance mode was enough to get the new pads in, but since then I do both M mode and remove compress the cylinder.

OP
OP
R00080

R00080

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I did this. i.e. exit maintenance mode with nothing to prevent "infinity. I had to buy a new caliper assembly.

I still have the old one in a box, someday I plan to take it apart and see if I can put it back together.
When you swapped it did you have any issues or anything you had to clear in the computer?

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
How I did it

With e-Brake off
Raise the rear
remove the wheel
unbolt the caliper
put the rear caliper in maintenance mode using Autel
C clamp pressure to push the piston back in
Put brake pads on
Caliper back on and bolted down
Exit maintenance mode
Wheels back on
Car on the ground
Engage/Disengage the ebrake a few times

Done.

OP
OP
R00080

R00080

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
How I did it

With e-Brake off
Raise the rear
remove the wheel
unbolt the caliper
put the rear caliper in maintenance mode using Autel
C clamp pressure to push the piston back in
Put brake pads on
Caliper back on and bolted down
Exit maintenance mode
Wheels back on
Car on the ground
Engage/Disengage the ebrake a few times

Done.
That was my plan. For some reason the piston would not compress so I second guessed my self and tried returning to normal mode. Then it was done.

keller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si coupe, 2021 SGP Type R
I definitely should have researched more before starting. I was swapping out my rear brake pads and rotors and everything was going good. I used an Autel to get into maintenance mode and had the new rotors on but when I was trying to compress the pison on the caliper it would not budge. I started second guessing myself and knowing better decided to try putting the car back in normal mode and then back to maintenance mode. When I did that the piston drove to infinity and the car will not go back into maintenance mode. My question now is if anyone has run into this isssue. For me to swap the caliper how can I get the car back into maintenance mode? Or is that step necessary if swapping the caliper out? I did some searching but couldn't find a solid answer on that. If anyone knows I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks!
Damn, I'm sorry it happened to you too. See https://www.civicx.com/forum/thread...-retract-the-caliper-piston.39003/post-822302

OP
OP
R00080

R00080

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
OP
OP
R00080

R00080

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
R00080, Search under Fatherpain. He had exactly the same thing happen to him..
fatherpain’s-2018-type-r.42379
Thanks. I did find his thread it's super helpful. He was able to get access to a honda computer to get it good to go though. I'll find out in a few days when the parts get in what will happen without a computer.

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The rear caliper pistons do not compress, you have to wind them clockwise until they bottom out.

I do not use a tool to put the car in maintenance mode when I change the rear pads, I only leave the e-brake disengaged before I do any work. Once I have the new pads installed and rear caliper re-assembled, I pump the brakes several times and drive around for a mile or two before I engage the e-brake.

OP
OP
R00080

R00080

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
The rear caliper pistons do not compress, you have to wind them clockwise until they bottom out.

I do not use a tool to put the car in maintenance mode when I change the rear pads, I only leave the e-brake disengaged before I do any work. Once I have the new pads installed and rear caliper re-assembled, I pump the brakes several times and drive around for a mile or two before I engage the e-brake.
I worded that incorrectly. My issue was it would not turn when using the K2 tool to turn it. Thats when I second guessed my self and went back to normal mode and immediately knew I screwed up. Lesson learned for sure. I won't do that again.
Sponsored