My System Upgrade

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Hi All

Thought I'd share this in case anyone has any questions. I've ripped out just about every interior panel at this point. :)

I'll start by saying I was HUGE into car audio in the mid-90's, but since then the most I had done is add a 12" sub, box and amp to a 2015 Fit. When I got the Civic ('17 Sport Hatch 6-speed) I decided it was time to have a little fun.

I am so out of audio that I bought MB Quart speaker before I realized they had been sold to Maxxsonics. That said, a friend of mine has the same ones and they sound every bit as good as the mid-line Polks and Infinity's I have heard.

I am installing the following:

MB Quart ZC1-216 components in all 4 doors. Had to drill my factory sail panels in the front because Honda is backordered on the EX ones.

Rockford Fosgate Punch 12" P2D2-12 Sub in a sealed box (for now, may swap to ported)

Audio Control LCQ-1 sound processor/EQ.

Skar Audio RP-75.4AB 4x75w Amp
Skar Audion RP-800.1D 370wx1 @ 4 ohm (DVC sub)

I chose Skar mainly due to value and size. They say they are 3" tall but they are actually 2.25" or so so I am able to keep everything under the rear floor. Hoping ventilation isn't an issue...I asked around and people say the Skar amps don't run very hot.

I ran 9wire and all 4 Gauge power and ground. Also, some carpentry and black speaker box carpeting with spray glue. That part was much easier than I thought it would be.

Pic attached is the work in progress of the hatch. Unfortunately install day, yesterday, turned out to be hell. Mostly the job of getting 2 sets of speaker wire pulled into each door through the factory grommet. I would have taken more pics if it wouldn't have slowed me down more.

Honda Civic 10th gen My System Upgrade Car
Sponsored

Philly_cuz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport
Hi All

Thought I'd share this in case anyone has any questions. I've ripped out just about every interior panel at this point. :)

I'll start by saying I was HUGE into car audio in the mid-90's, but since then the most I had done is add a 12" sub, box and amp to a 2015 Fit. When I got the Civic ('17 Sport Hatch 6-speed) I decided it was time to have a little fun.

I am so out of audio that I bought MB Quart speaker before I realized they had been sold to Maxxsonics. That said, a friend of mine has the same ones and they sound every bit as good as the mid-line Polks and Infinity's I have heard.

I am installing the following:

MB Quart ZC1-216 components in all 4 doors. Had to drill my factory sail panels in the front because Honda is backordered on the EX ones.

Rockford Fosgate Punch 12" P2D2-12 Sub in a sealed box (for now, may swap to ported)

Audio Control LCQ-1 sound processor/EQ.

Skar Audio RP-75.4AB 4x75w Amp
Skar Audion RP-800.1D 370wx1 @ 4 ohm (DVC sub)

I chose Skar mainly due to value and size. They say they are 3" tall but they are actually 2.25" or so so I am able to keep everything under the rear floor. Hoping ventilation isn't an issue...I asked around and people say the Skar amps don't run very hot.

I ran 9wire and all 4 Gauge power and ground. Also, some carpentry and black speaker box carpeting with spray glue. That part was much easier than I thought it would be.

Pic attached is the work in progress of the hatch. Unfortunately install day, yesterday, turned out to be hell. Mostly the job of getting 2 sets of speaker wire pulled into each door through the factory grommet. I would have taken more pics if it wouldn't have slowed me down more.

Car.jpg
I also plan on installing a new audio system but my main concern is taking the car apart. Any more photos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I also plan on installing a new audio system but my main concern is taking the car apart. Any more photos would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for sharing!
I don't really have any others. I'll see if I can take some before I put it back together.

There's really not too much concern. Everything sort of just pops off.

I did, for the first time, buy some tools to do the job right. A soldering kit, heat gun and heatshrink tubing.

And the best thing was this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QLBDSW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was perfect for popping the control panels off the doors and getting the console sides off to get the radio out.

Everything else is just the green trim clips and you can buy some spares before you start. I had done that, but it was on the same order as my backorder sail panels, so I didn't get them. I haven't broken or lost any, which might be a first.

Philly_cuz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't really have any others. I'll see if I can take some before I put it back together.

There's really not too much concern. Everything sort of just pops off.

I did, for the first time, buy some tools to do the job right. A soldering kit, heat gun and heatshrink tubing.

And the best thing was this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009QLBDSW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It was perfect for popping the control panels off the doors and getting the console sides off to get the radio out.

Everything else is just the green trim clips and you can buy some spares before you start. I had done that, but it was on the same order as my backorder sail panels, so I didn't get them. I haven't broken or lost any, which might be a first.
Thanks for the info and i am definitely buying that tool set. Much appreciated!

Philly_cuz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the info and i am definitely buying that tool set. Much appreciated!
Hey rjm161, one more question. Ive read on here people having trouble getting the steering wheel controls to work. They mentioned flashing the controls?? I have no idea what that is. You have any trouble? Im guessing you used the Crutchfield adaptor harness?

OP
OP

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hey rjm161, one more question. Ive read on here people having trouble getting the steering wheel controls to work. They mentioned flashing the controls?? I have no idea what that is. You have any trouble? Im guessing you used the Crutchfield adaptor harness?
I didn't change out the head unit. I may someday, but I don't really mind it. Someone had a thread about getting the backup camera to use with another head unit. Not sure if Crutchfield has the car in their database, but if they do, you may be able to get an adapter to keep the steering wheel controls.

OP
OP

rjm161

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I didn't change out the head unit. I may someday, but I don't really mind it. Someone had a thread about getting the backup camera to use with another head unit. Not sure if Crutchfield has the car in their database, but if they do, you may be able to get an adapter to keep the steering wheel controls.
Sorry, I didn't read your whole post. :) I see you know about the harness.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
OH MY GOD, a good use for all that space under the rear panel in the Sport hatchbacks!

And MB Quart got sold? Damn. Yeah, I've been way out of the audio game for too long, too. I used to aspire to own some MB Quart gear someday.

vonlaser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport 6MT
Country flag
Thanks for the inspiration!

I have my amp wired up but still need to get it properly mounted. Right now it's just kinda floating to the left of the spare and I want to cut a board to fit like yours there.
Did you do anything to secure the boards you have your equipment mounted on? Or is it just a tight fit?
How did you cut the foam blocks that support the trunk floor so that it sits flush again?
Any heat issues?
Sponsored