Lighter battery options - any new choices?

texas347

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, 2021 Civic Type R. 2016 GT350
Country flag
I’ve searched other older threads on here and cannot seem to find an option that saves weight but doesn’t have potential issues.

Putting the FK8 on a diet and the battery weight savings would really help. Its not a daily driver, but it still gets driven often, and sporadically. Sometimes for a few days in a row and then it may sit for 2 weeks. I’m also in the Houston, TX heat - so thats a challenge.

Would love to hear from those of you successfully using lighter batteries in hotter climates, etc.

Thanks!
Sponsored

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX sedan 6MT (Canadian)
Country flag
I've got the 40A Anti-Gravity Lithium battery and it gets pretty hot here in the summer, maybe not Texas hot but... toasty. Not had (or heard) any issues about heat...

In terms of letting the car sit for weeks at a time, I think it does slowly lose power but unless you are leaving it in an unpowered barn, you can just attach a battery tender while it sits?

NOCO Genius 10 for me, I leave the NOCO pigtail on the battery at all times, so literally it's just a 3 step process if I think that I want to charge it... 1. pop hood, 2. clip charger cable to pigtail, 3. plug in charger, done. I may have bought that as an accessory I forget.

I would recommend buying the Anti-Gravity Lithium bluetooth battery monitor just to give you better visibility. (or if you go Lead-Acid, they also sell a separate lead-acid version) Obviously they work on any brand batteries.

OP
OP
texas347

texas347

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Great info dt10g - looking into it now. Much appreciate the response.

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - New to me on 3/13/2023
Country flag
I've got the 40A Anti-Gravity Lithium battery and it gets pretty hot here in the summer, maybe not Texas hot but... toasty. Not had (or heard) any issues about heat...

In terms of letting the car sit for weeks at a time, I think it does slowly lose power but unless you are leaving it in an unpowered barn, you can just attach a battery tender while it sits?

NOCO Genius 10 for me, I leave the NOCO pigtail on the battery at all times, so literally it's just a 3 step process if I think that I want to charge it... 1. pop hood, 2. clip charger cable to pigtail, 3. plug in charger, done. I may have bought that as an accessory I forget.

I would recommend buying the Anti-Gravity Lithium bluetooth battery monitor just to give you better visibility. (or if you go Lead-Acid, they also sell a separate lead-acid version) Obviously they work on any brand batteries.
How much weight does it save vs. the OEM battery, if you know?

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How much weight does it save vs. the OEM battery, if you know?
i don’t know offhand the weight of a stock CTR US market battery sorry but I bet if you search that someone has mentioned this before

but I’ll tell you that the stock battery in my Canadian FC2 was f*cking heavy… like you need to heave to lift it off the garage floor let alone manhandle it out the car engine bay… hello chiropractor

the antigravity lithium 40A battery is like 14-15 lb … the race one even lighter!!

Honda Civic 10th gen Lighter battery options - any new choices? IMG_5960

OP
OP
texas347

texas347

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Found this one - price is not bad and its only 13lbs. Wondering about the operating temperature. Also its lithium iron phosphate so there is not a fire risk like lithium ion has. Has me considering it for sure - $400 and 13 pounds…

OP
OP
texas347

texas347

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
One more item - temperature range. The Ballade is rated to 167 degrees F. The Antigravity battery says up to 140 degrees F.

dt10g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds attractive

Not sure how to compare the AntiGravity’s 1500 CA and 40Ah vs Ballades

• CCA: 1100A
  • Capacity: 60Ah

Here in Canada I was more worried about the capacity to start my car in cold-weather reliably, but maybe that is less of a factor in hot climates?.

(it’s possible that both specs are not “CCA” because AG only talks about Cranking Amps… unclear)

I would note that the AntiGravity has the jumpstart feature built-in which could be handy in a daily. Whether you see that as any value up to you or course

Curious, also if you could link me to their temperature rating specs you found for AG… because I had trouble finding it

Thanks!

Last edited:

lrk322

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R in Red
Country flag
I read a million user reviews of batteries, from porsches to corvettes. My general conclusion was that there is a greater chance of being standed with one of these batteries, and ended up not buying one. If I was going to do it, I would only do it if the battery was relocated to the trunk, which was a whole other process. For every person that had a good experience, I seemed to find someone who got stranded. There is a lengthy thread on the porsche forums where some of,I believe, the antigravity guys, get into it with the porsche owners for essentially saying the risk is not worth it.

casper

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback (6MT)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
i don’t know offhand the weight of a stock CTR US market battery sorry but I bet if you search that someone has mentioned this before

but I’ll tell you that the stock battery in my Canadian FC2 was f*cking heavy… like you need to heave to lift it off the garage floor let alone manhandle it out the car engine bay… hello chiropractor
For some reason my OEM battery is missing its handle too :what:

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I read a million user reviews of batteries, from porsches to corvettes. My general conclusion was that there is a greater chance of being standed with one of these batteries, and ended up not buying one. If I was going to do it, I would only do it if the battery was relocated to the trunk, which was a whole other process. For every person that had a good experience, I seemed to find someone who got stranded. There is a lengthy thread on the porsche forums where some of,I believe, the antigravity guys, get into it with the porsche owners for essentially saying the risk is not worth it.
I agree with those who say for a daily the weight savings is not worth it. The downsides (jumping, CCAs, storage, etc) are just not worth it. I'm sorry all, but I don't believe anyone's butt dyno is going to tell the difference in a 20 pound weight difference. Your mind might say so because of placebo effect, but yeah.

plresultsman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R - New to me on 3/13/2023
Country flag
I agree with those who say for a daily the weight savings is not worth it. The downsides (jumping, CCAs, storage, etc) are just not worth it. I'm sorry all, but I don't believe anyone's butt dyno is going to tell the difference in a 20 pound weight difference. Your mind might say so because of placebo effect, but yeah.
Ha! I lost 20 pounds by going to the gym for 6 months! But yeah unless you are into serious time attack (or racing) AND are doing lots of mods to lose weight I'm with you. But of course everyone has an itchy wallet when it comes to cheep, cheerful and EASY mods, too.
Sponsored