First Name
Sherry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW Civic Type R (FK8)
Country flag
Hey All!

I just installed the Joying 9" headunit into my 2020 Civic Type R. There were almost no instructions that came with it, so I thought it would be helpful to do an installation guide! I searched up Youtube videos, but none of the videos showed the connections to the back of the headunit.

Here is a link to the specific headunit I purchased. Since I have a Type R, I had to purchase it with Option C (with factory amplifier). I also added the AHD Reverse Camera option: https://www.joyingauto.com/newest-9...ivic-2016-2017-with-carplay-android-auto.html

It took about a week for it to come in. Here's what comes inside the box (pulled images from the site since it was accurate):
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R Newest 9 inch Car Auto Radio For Honda Civic 2016-2021 with Carplay & Android Auto (13) (1)
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R Newest 9 inch Car Auto Radio For Honda Civic 2016-2021 with Carplay & Android Auto (14)

And the AHD Reverse Camera:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R Joying new 1080P reverse camera (5)

Installation Guide:

Step 1: Remove OEM headunit and unplug climate control.

You just have to carefully pull out the two plastic pieces on the side to pull out the climate control and oem headunit. I believe there is one or two screws that are also holding the OEM headunit in place that should be revealed after you pull out the climate control.

Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_0652.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_0653.JPG
Before and after OEM headunit/climate control removal.

Step 2: Plug in the harness from Joying to factory cables.
The harness is pretty much plug and play. I find it easier to plug in the harness to the factory cables before plugging it into the headunit.
The side with grey fittings on the harness (circled in red) is what would be plugging into the factory cables. They're all different sizes, so it should be fairly simple matching which one goes to what. One of them slid in kind of loosely, but it still worked.
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R s-l1600 editrd

Harness that comes with Joying 9" Headunit.

Step 3: Attach the CAN BUS DECODER and HD Amplifier to the Joying Harness.
The CAN BUS Decoder and HD Amplifier should have came detached from the Joying harness. Make sure both are plugged in to the WHITE fittings of the harness. The HD Amplifier only has one plug and the CAN BUS Decoder has two plugs. It should look like this after plugged in:

Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_1349
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_1352
Left is HD Amplifier, one plug. Right is CAN BUS DECORDER, two plugs.

Once they are plugged into the harness, you can just let them hang around.

Step 4: Reroute radio cables to headunit.
You can skip this step if you don't want to have radio, but just in case you still want to keep it like I do!
The radio box is actually located by the rear passenger door, right behind this panel:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_0708.JPG

Just remove the panel and then you'll see the radio box mounted with a 1 cable at the top, two at the bottom. It should look like this:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_1363

OEM radio "box" unmounted.

Now unplug all cables and take the radio harness that came with the Joying headunit. It should look similar to this. Just look for the two grey and one green fitting:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R s-l1600

Radio harness from Joying.

After being plugged in, it should look like this:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_1361
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_1362
and can now unmount the radio box and remove it from the civic.

Back to your dash/headunit area, the Radio wiring needs to be plugged in. It should look like this cable:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R s-l1600 radio

Antenna wiring from Joying.

Just find the OEM female side that fits this (there's only one):
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_1353

Connected Joying radio wiring to factory wiring.

The other side will plug straight into the headunit where it says "Radio ANT".

Step 5: AHD Rearview Camera. You can skip this step if you did not purchase one.
Just a heads up, this was probably the most tedious part of the install! It requires a lot of panel removal and some mickey mousing with the wiring.

If you purchased the AHD rearview camera, it should have came in a plastic baggie with these contents:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R Joying new 1080P reverse camera (5)

AHD Reverse Camera and wiring from Joying.

The mount I found was useless, so I just removed my OEM rearview camera and heavily double sided tape the Joying camera to the mount.

Now, this really long cable is what will connect the camera to your headunit. The Yellow male and Red female will be going to your camera side, with the Yellow male going into your headunit. There is a green ground wire that also is connected to the Yellow male side to the headunit. I found it unnecessary to connect to anything since camera worked without that wire being grounded.

There is a red and black wire coming from the camera side of the wiring. These are the power cables that the reverse camera needs to turn on. It needs a 12V source, so routing it into the reverse light wiring was the best choice. This required finding the positive wiring of the reverse light (the TEAL wiring circled in blue). Stole this image off a fellow CivicX poster since I was too dumb to take a picture of it:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R FB_IMG_1525136333824

Reverse light positive teal wiring, circled in blue.

Now, the tedious part. I chose to tuck the wiring through the driver's side of my civic. This meant that I had to route the long cable through the trunk, through the rubber boot, and into the rear driver's side paneling.
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R img-374766326-1533227305504

We extended the red and black wiring so it could reach the teal cable behind the rear driver's side paneling for power.

Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_0710.JPG

The cleanest way to hide the wiring was to have it connected to the teal cable behind this panel on the rear driver's side:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_0709.JPG

Here is the where I connected the positive wiring to the TEAL wire (reverse light wire):
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_0717.JPG

Here is a picture of the wiring route in red:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R 68947503560__491D9FAC-1B00-480A-A077-E8C62D478483.JPG

After doing all that, we routed the cable to go to the headunit by tucking it along the floor all the way on the driver's side > behind the steering > up into the headunit area.

Now you're ready to plug everything into the headunit!

Step 6: Plugging everything into the headunit/climate control.
If you want your OEM USB ports to work, you should use the two cables provided from Joying:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R s-l1600 USB

USB adapter cables from Joying.

and connect them to these two factory fittings:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_1347

Now, we can begin to plug everything into the headunit. The back should end up looking something like this:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_1348

It looks like a mess, because it is. You can try to clean it up a bit, but at this point, everything should be working! Make sure to turn it on and test everything out before mounting the headunit back in. To connect the climate control, one of the cables will NOT be connected:

Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_1360

Back of climate control panel.

Here's how it looks when completed:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_0688.JPG
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_0685.JPG

It doesn't block out the AC really:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R IMG_0689.JPG

There's a thread where other users spoke about firmware issues/volume issues, etc that you can find here - https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/infotainment-failure.59729/page-35#post-1156711

I just installed it so I have no issues experienced... yet. Hope this install guide helped! Just DM or leave comments if you have any questions.

Before anyone asks, yes, my dual climate works. As far as TPMS calibration, oil reset, I do see the settings on the headunit. Manufacturer claims that it works. However, I don't have a stock ECU so none of that applies to me and I'm unable to test it.

Last edited:

ssunnypd

First Name
Sunil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 civic si - sold, 2021 SGP Type R #44-500
Country flag
Thank you for the write up. I was looking at this headunit but the lack of instruction’s dissuaded me. But now I have this thanks a lot !!

98-0425

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Type-R #12307, 98 Integra Type-R #0425, 07 Pilot EX-L, 17 Pilot Elite
Country flag
Sherry, you selling your old headunit?

NHCivicGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 R
Country flag
Wanted to chime in and say you can get the reverse signal right at the dash, no need to go all the way to rear of vehicle.

I have a 2021 R and didn’t even have to do this, after I made an adjustment on the joying wiring harness. It looks like my factory Civic harness did have the reverse wire, so all I had to do is take that pin and connect it to the reverse on the joying. Didn’t even have to splice into pic below.

Another member on here found and posted this:
Honda Civic 10th gen Joying 9" Install Guide on 2020 Civic Type R 1668169688236

OP
OP
sherryjenix

sherryjenix

First Name
Sherry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I saw someone do that! After I went my method already… haha. Glad you were able to find a more convenient way.

TJ Rsr

First Name
“TJ” Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8, 2008 FA5, 1999 EM1
Country flag
Great write up and thank you for this! Does this allow you to control the factory settings like rev match? Also, did you choose the dvr or tpms options? Any photos of the rear view camera in action? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
sherryjenix

sherryjenix

First Name
Sherry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Great write up and thank you for this! Does this allow you to control the factory settings like rev match? Also, did you choose the dvr or tpms options? Any photos of the rear view camera in action? Thanks in advance.
Sorry I haven’t responded to you. I do see the options of TPMS, maintenance light reset, etc. I was told by the factory it would work. However, I have motec so I’m unable to confirm that information.

HD backup camera is really nice. I can upload a pic once I get back to my car later tonight!

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
Any updates? How's it going?
What does it look like when you depress the climate button?

OP
OP
sherryjenix

sherryjenix

First Name
Sherry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any updates? How's it going?
What does it look like when you depress the climate button?
There was a moment where my sound went out when I would hit bumps... but once I pulled out the headunit to see what was going on, everything worked smoothly again.

One thing, it seems that I lost my bass. It might be because I didn't connect the OEM sub in, someone I spoke to had the same issue. They're currently contacting the manufacturer to see if there was a wire I forgot to connect!

WILLXALISA

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
Hey I did my install yesterday, I am not too worry about the tpms and maintenance reset, however the brake pressure and acceleration %, media, shift light, g force icon was gone on my dash, but once I go into the headunit and reset it to factory settings it will pop up again on my dash and gone in a few second, also the back up line doesn’t turn when I turn the steering wheel….

dmalikbrown

First Name
Darius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T
Country flag
Thanks for the post I had a few problems and worked with Joying to resolve some. I made a post on reddit, since I didn't have my account authenticated here yet and gave you some credit. The only problem I have now is the same as @WILLXALISA reverse lines do not move when turning the steering wheel also, did you ever resolve this?
Post on reddit:

Also includes documentation Joying sent for 2016-2021 Honda. my main problem was canin+canout was not plugged in.

FK8Twigs

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic
Country flag
Type R owner here. Can confirm that the oil life and tpms DO NOT work, buttons are there but they do not do anything when pressed. You can't toggle the Rev Match on/off either. Parking lines only move if you have the old black CAN BUS decoder, which they will send you upon request. The new one is a red color.
And as @WILLXALISA mentioned the head unit doesn't support some of the in dash Type R menus.

Another quirk I noticed is that the low fuel warning comes on at 19 miles of range left instead of the usual 25. I thought it would have stopped working with the new unit, but no, which is fine because the warning resets automatically upon fueling. I just hope that doesn't mean that when it comes time to do maintenance, I don't have to swap out the radios just to reset the warnings since the reset buttons don't work on the Joying units.

Now all of the above aren't exactly deal breakers to me. Rev match is a nice feature to have on the street, but I can toggle it off from the stock head unit then switch units and live without it.

My personal nails in the coffin for this unit were three things:

1. An annoying white noise that persists regardless of volume level. (I have the newer style red amp decoder, if people with the old style black one don't have this issue please lmk)

2. Quality of the harness is just garbage. Ultra thin gauge wiring and poorly crimped leads caused some wires to just slip out. Now I don't have sound :'(

3. And the fact that you CANNOT get call audio (BT or Android Auto) if you have an Android phone. I tested it with three different Androids (albeit all Samsungs) and got no call audio although the other person could hear me just fine. It worked fine with iPhones, which is shocking considering these radios are basically just retro-fitted Android tablets.

Currently communicating with Joying via email and troubleshooting, but at this rate I'm leaning towards returning it as I'm running out of time on the return window. Their support is very good tbh, but the product just doesn't live up to the same level.
Sponsored