Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Would you be able to just cut slightly deeper reliefs in the Wisecos if that's your only gripe?
Any decent machine shop should be able to do this fairly easily, if piston to valve clearance is actually an issue with cams. If it is and machining them works, maybe wiseco would be interested in the findings and update their offerings.
Yes fly cutting larger valve reliefs into the pistons is something plenty of machine shops can do, but I'm trying to avoid adding in customized variables like that when the main reason for doing this is to make an easily replicable example for others to follow and show that these engines can make really solid power numbers without any crazy work. I think the JEs fit the bill and get the job done at a lower price point, I would be more inclined to go with the Wisecos if I was shooting for some seriously stupid power like 600+hp. As it stands there may not be clearance issues with the Wisecos but with the season fast approaching in April I need to pick and choose what all I'm going to check over on the engine prior to assembly and just sticking in the pistons with larger reliefs means one less thing I'd have to spend a lot of time to check otherwise.

Rods, pistons, cams, springs, oil pump and a bit of head work should be a recipe easily capable of 400whp with the right stock frame turbo upgrade. This isn't meant to be the ultimate build to set power records, the head gasket sealing system and cylinder would require more attention for sure if that was the goal. It might be something I consider pursuing in the future but at the moment I care more about help others achieve higher power goals and proving that the L15B has a place in the aftermarket especially as the performance variant K series become harder and more expensive to source over the coming years.
Sponsored

st4xor

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Happy Friday, long time no update, we're gearing up to make some waves with the FK7, namely with an engine and trans build on top of new turbos.

The goal here is to build an easily replicable path to making a reliable 400whp and seeing how the L15 handles being revved high when it has the right components for it. Speaking of the components here's what we've got for the engine:
  • BC H beam rods
  • JE pistons
  • Wiseco pistons (I couldn't make up my mind, I still haven't)
  • Boundary oil pump gears
  • Kelford cams (stage 1)
  • Kelford springs and retainers
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

The cylinder head is still off getting ported but I'm hoping to get it back in the next 2-3 weeks. I'll have plenty to share on that once it's back. With the head and cam setup I'm confident we'll be able to wind things out to 8500RPM without power tanking up top (once we have the right turbo on the car to support that much RPM)

As for the trans, it's getting a few treats that I'm waiting on coming in. We'll have a bunch of blog posts and some video content going over all the engine and trans stuff over the next couple of months.

Lastly is the turbo. This is a custom unit put together by my friend over at Art Gennari Turbo, the sizing isn't far off from a lot of other stock frame upgrades on the market and I'm thinking it should be able to get us to the 350whp range and once we know how this does we'll get a larger one put together to shoot for the 400whp mark. To start the car is going back together with the stock turbo so we can quantify gains with the cams and head work as something of an A-B comparison.

5.jpg

More to come!
*phew* this thread just got spicy 🥵🔥🌶

This is going to be quite the return after the lows of last year, looking forward to it!

OP
OP
Austin@Wunderladen Racing
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Got the block notched for the rods, getting it decked real quick sometime this week and then I'll get the ring end gaps set and begin cleaning before I start assembling.

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products notch

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Transmission parts are starting to roll in! We should be releasing our first trans build video somewhat soonish? Not entirely sure when, I'm really bad about the content stuff haha 😅

Anyway I wasn't over the moon about the detail work on the RV6 gears; by no means do I think they're bad gears (they're a great value) and I don't think we would have had any issues with them as they came but I wanted to make sure I give this trans every fighting chance I can especially if we start chasing power numbers. So I got them thoroughly detailed and shot peened. EXTREMELY pleased with how they're looking now 😁

Here's how they came back as well as a few before and after:

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products gear1
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products gear2
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products gear3

JonStewK20C2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX K20C2 6MT
Country flag
Transmission parts are starting to roll in! We should be releasing our first trans build video somewhat soonish? Not entirely sure when, I'm really bad about the content stuff haha 😅

Anyway I wasn't over the moon about the detail work on the RV6 gears; by no means do I think they're bad gears (they're a great value) and I don't think we would have had any issues with them as they came but I wanted to make sure I give this trans every fighting chance I can especially if we start chasing power numbers. So I got them thoroughly detailed and shot peened. EXTREMELY pleased with how they're looking now 😁

Here's how they came back as well as a few before and after:

gear1.jpg
gear2.jpg
gear3.jpg
Can't wait! Is it a full top to bottom trans build?

To expand on that thought, will you be touching on anything regarding differentials? You know that's where my attention would be held since I'll need all the help I can get for when I put the diff in.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Can't wait! Is it a full top to bottom trans build?

To expand on that thought, will you be touching on anything regarding differentials? You know that's where my attention would be held since I'll need all the help I can get for when I put the diff in.
I'm not throwing the whole kitchen sink at it but it's getting everything I would consider a need for keeping it together. The rest of the gears are being reused along with the synchros. I was on the fence about buying new synchros until I saw how good the ones in this trans looked so they're getting reused. I am also reusing the bearings, which I wouldn't do in the case of a transmission that suffered damage, but again, they look perfect.

I'm putting a Wavetrac in this trans as well :)

ManitobaSI

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Another idea?
Can you make a holder kit for checking the mainshaft thrust?
Could have your logo on it.
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products IMG_9898

JonStewK20C2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX K20C2 6MT
Country flag
I'm putting a Wavetrac in this trans as well :)
Unreal, that video is going to be put on repeat for a while that's for sure. Thanks again for immense amount of great info you put together for us!

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Another idea?
Can you make a holder kit for checking the mainshaft thrust?
Could have your logo on it.
I've already designed one haha. I use a printed one when I set up transmissions. I'll probably get one made from metal at some point but the amount of people that need this tool is so low it's hard for us to justify making them to sell right now.

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products trans

JonStewK20C2

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic LX K20C2 6MT
Country flag
I've already designed one haha. I use a printed one when I set up transmissions. I'll probably get one made from metal at some point but the amount of people that need this tool is so low it's hard for us to justify making them to sell right now.

trans.jpg
Would you consider uploading that stl for others that want to print it? That is if you have no current plans to add it to your product line.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Would you consider uploading that stl for others that want to print it? That is if you have no current plans to add it to your product line.
Yea at the moment there are no plans for offering it. From what I've seen its the same tool for a K trans and there are a few options on the market for it.

I did change the file a bit from what's in my photo. The smaller piece is now threaded instead of through holes so you don't need nuts. All 3 holes are M8x1.25, the threads are in the model but you'll want to run a tap or chaser through them in order for a bolt to go through cleanly.

Attachments

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
The Wavetrac diff arrived today so I'll be inspecting and checking everything this weekend! If anyone would like to order one for themselves feel free to reach out and we can get you taken care of :)

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products Wavetrac

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just noticed Mfactory coming out with a VTB LSD for the L15B engines as well.
The Wavetrac is a helical lsd right?

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
I just noticed Mfactory coming out with a VTB LSD for the L15B engines as well.
The Wavetrac is a helical lsd right?
I heard they've released them for other cars, haven't checked to see if that includes the Civic. The VTB design is their version of what Wavetrac has offered for years.

I'll probably dig my Mfactory diff out of storage to get some comparison photos. For the small difference in price I'd go with the Wavetrac every time, their quality is a good amount higher than the Mfactory, not to mention they use metal that's strong enough to handle the factory ring gear bolts being torqued to the factory spec...

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I heard they've released them for other cars, haven't checked to see if that includes the Civic. The VTB design is their version of what Wavetrac has offered for years.

I'll probably dig my Mfactory diff out of storage to get some comparison photos. For the small difference in price I'd go with the Wavetrac every time, their quality is a good amount higher than the Mfactory, not to mention they use metal that's strong enough to handle the factory ring gear bolts being torqued to the factory spec...
Their email had a list of make/models
Which had b16 b18 k20c and L15B in them.
Years ago mfactory was great quality,I had their lsd in my 98 civic for years.
I can't say what they are today but i've heard those stories about the lack of quality.(The same stories where told of wavetrac 10 -15years ago).
Anyway times change 😃
Sponsored