Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Well, damn. Really sorry to hear that the luck at gingerman continues to be poor for you guys. You're going to have to find somewhere else to run the next couple of times to regain some positive momentum 😬

I know 4th gear seems to be more common, but 3rd has also not been unheard of. There were some reported instances of transmission fluid gutters for 3rd and 4th gear being malformed (link). Not sure the affected years or what year the trans in your car came out of, but that might be something to inspect when the broken trans comes out that may have been a contributing factor. I would hope that if the original owner had been in there for the LSD that the gutters would be good since this seems to have been "known" for a while, but who knows.

I think this is the latest I've heard on the supposed 3rd&4th from rv6 that may or may not have ever been in development. Seems to have stalled out Definitely a lot of threads littered around with hopes that an
3rd/4th offering might appear at some point but still limited options that are not yet widely adopted.

Certainly a factor that has contributed to me hanging out at stock power while I have known track day tendencies and my civic is my daily. And something I've hoped I would be able to address preemptively when it's time for a clutch and before I have a mess that needs to be cleaned up.

I for one hope the business case closes and this turns in to yet another silver lining 🍻
Sponsored

OP
OP
Austin@Wunderladen Racing
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Well, damn. Really sorry to hear that the luck at gingerman continues to be poor for you guys. You're going to have to find somewhere else to run the next couple of times to regain some positive momentum 😬

I know 4th gear seems to be more common, but 3rd has also not been unheard of. There were some reported instances of transmission fluid gutters for 3rd and 4th gear being malformed (link). Not sure the affected years or what year the trans in your car came out of, but that might be something to inspect when the broken trans comes out that may have been a contributing factor. I would hope that if the original owner had been in there for the LSD that the gutters would be good since this seems to have been "known" for a while, but who knows.

I think this is the latest I've heard on the supposed 3rd&4th from rv6 that may or may not have ever been in development. Seems to have stalled out Definitely a lot of threads littered around with hopes that an
3rd/4th offering might appear at some point but still limited options that are not yet widely adopted.

Certainly a factor that has contributed to me hanging out at stock power while I have known track day tendencies and my civic is my daily. And something I've hoped I would be able to address preemptively when it's time for a clutch and before I have a mess that needs to be cleaned up.

I for one hope the business case closes and this turns in to yet another silver lining 🍻
Oddly enough I generally don't have problems at Gingerman. The last excursion was a me problem, needless to say it was the car this time, but I suppose it was only a matter of time for this issue to rear its head.

I was able to find a low mileage trans fairly local for $300 so going to pick that up today. Should have the trans out and torn apart tomorrow or Friday and will definitely give the oil gutters a look when I have them both apart. I don't recall any noticeable issues with it when I had the trans apart but I wasn't looking for casting flash in the holes.

Either way I would be very surprised if some restricted oiling holes are the cause for gear failures. These gears are tiny and K series also shred 3rd and 4th stock gears fairly commonly as well, it's just not as common as on the L15B because they don't make nearly as much torque at lower engine speeds.

I'm for sure going to talk about this with the rest of the team and see what pricing looks like from our local gear hobber. If we can't get things to a reasonable price then I may get ahold of GearX to see if they have any plans for some upgraded gears like they offer for the K trans.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Yanked the trans and pulled it apart yesterday. Safe to say there isn't much left of 3rd gear. We're going to send the trans to our local gear hobber soon and get a stronger 3rd and 4th gear quoted. More to come!

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products broke1
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products broke 2
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products broke3
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products broke4

Jjakef96

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Sport Hatchback
Country flag
Yanked the trans and pulled it apart yesterday. Safe to say there isn't much left of 3rd gear. We're going to send the trans to our local gear hobber soon and get a stronger 3rd and 4th gear quoted. More to come!

broke1.jpg
broke 2.jpg
broke3.jpg
broke4.jpg
I would consider reaching out to Chris. I have chatted with him at autocross a couple of times and he seems he has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to 10th gen transmissions. Looks like he is also putting together a how to build series on YouTube. Hope this helps.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/quest-for-transmission-upgrades.77760/post-1239907

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
I would consider reaching out to Chris. I have chatted with him at autocross a couple of times and he seems he has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to 10th gen transmissions. Looks like he is also putting together a how to build series on YouTube. Hope this helps.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/quest-for-transmission-upgrades.77760/post-1239907
I've been reading some of the transmission threads for a while. We've had numerous people ask us to do stronger gears for the past year so this is sort of a final straw to push us to look into it more.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
A bit gutted right now. I had torn the MFactory diff down to clean it out and make sure no foreign objects had made their way into the diff. Everything checked out fine save the damaged clutch pack I found when I had the trans apart last year. Need to get the car back together and off the lift so decided to wait to fix the clutch pack issue another time since it still locked up fine. Went to reassemble the ring gear onto the diff and ended up stripping the last 2 of the threaded holes out of the diff.

It uses the factory bolts but unbeknownst to me MFactory calls for a much lower torque than the factory service manual (60-65 vs 88 ft/lbs). Fairly annoyed as I guess the only way to find this information is if you buy a new diff from them as it comes with torque specs on a piece of paper but none of this is published anywhere on their site from what I can find.

Anywho, gonna have to ride it out with the stock open diff that came in the replacement trans. Won't be doing any track days until I can get an LSD back in the car, fun stuff.

Edit: Looks like it is on their site, I just glazed over it. Can't blame anyone other than myself. Still amazed that their spec is almost 30 ft/lbs less than factory. Definitely some soft steel they're using.

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products diff threads

Last edited:

Tk303

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic hatchback sport 6spd
Country flag
A bit gutted right now. I had torn the MFactory diff down to clean it out and make sure no foreign objects had made their way into the diff. Everything checked out fine save the damaged clutch pack I found when I had the trans apart last year. Need to get the car back together and off the lift so decided to wait to fix the clutch pack issue another time since it still locked up fine. Went to reassemble the ring gear onto the diff and ended up stripping the last 2 of the threaded holes out of the diff.

It uses the factory bolts but unbeknownst to me MFactory calls for a much lower torque than the factory service manual (60-65 vs 88 ft/lbs). Fairly annoyed as I guess the only way to find this information is if you buy a new diff from them as it comes with torque specs on a piece of paper but none of this is published anywhere on their site from what I can find.

Anywho, gonna have to ride it out with the stock open diff that came in the replacement trans. Won't be doing any track days until I can get an LSD back in the car, fun stuff.

Edit: Looks like it is on their site, I just glazed over it. Can't blame anyone other than myself. Still amazed that their spec is almost 30 ft/lbs less than factory. Definitely some soft steel they're using.

diff threads.jpg
Austin, just wanted to say thank you for all
The amazing content you have provided to this community. I'm excited to see you guys continue to release new products like the baffled oil pan, stronger gears etc. I will be picking up your BBK soon. Also, closely following your experience with the LSD. This has me leaning towards the Wavetrav but perhaps more options will becalmed available. Staying away from the. Clutch style lsd's as my 10th gen is still my daily until my Integra arrives. Keep up the amazing work sir!!

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't know if this is common but Eric the carguy on YT had an mfactory lsd for his integra which had no threads in them.I had a mfactory lsd a long time ago back then I used factory torque specs without issues.
Maybe the mfactory quality now isn't what it used to be ?🤷‍♂️

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Austin, just wanted to say thank you for all
The amazing content you have provided to this community. I'm excited to see you guys continue to release new products like the baffled oil pan, stronger gears etc. I will be picking up your BBK soon. Also, closely following your experience with the LSD. This has me leaning towards the Wavetrav but perhaps more options will becalmed available. Staying away from the. Clutch style lsd's as my 10th gen is still my daily until my Integra arrives. Keep up the amazing work sir!!
Thanks Todd! I'm very excited for what the future holds, not just for our development car but the platform as a whole. Plenty of of more parts to be released, things are in a bit of a lull at the moment while we focus on marketing as the biggest uphill battle we have is building the company name and raising awareness that our stuff exists for the major of owners (who unfortunately don't post here).

I am not sure which direction I want to go. Wavetrac diffs are very nice, I have one in the front of my Evo but clutch diffs tend to be the preferred route for most track use, but I may go with a Wavetrac for sake of comparison. I will say there is nothing about the MFactory that has really left a good impression on me other than the fact it was better than the factory open diff.

I don't know if this is common but Eric the carguy on YT had an mfactory lsd for his integra which had no threads in them.I had a mfactory lsd a long time ago back then I used factory torque specs without issues.
Maybe the mfactory quality now isn't what it used to be ?🤷‍♂️
I have seen a fair bit of hit and miss quality from them the past few years. From what I know all of their products are made in Taiwan which, while not necessarily a bad thing, can make quality control hard to keep in check. I would love to see more clutch diff options on the market but I think it may be a while before another company steps up to the plate.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Straying from the topic at hand, any thoughts on removable splitter mounts? Racebred is currently the only option (super awesome universal kit looks to be a pain to work around)

I've had recent issues with my Epsilon (BMSPEC) splitter (lip). Although it's taken a fair amount of abuse, a bumper mounted solution is souring on me. I'm thinking a removable option for daily driving might be in my interests

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Straying from the topic at hand, any thoughts on removable splitter mounts? Racebred is currently the only option (super awesome universal kit looks to be a pain to work around)

I've had recent issues with my Epsilon (BMSPEC) splitter (lip). Although it's taken a fair amount of abuse, a bumper mounted solution is souring on me. I'm thinking a removable option for daily driving might be in my interests
A while ago I designed some universal brackets that work on the 10th Gen and utilize the Professional Awesome quick release system. I had planned on finalizing it earlier this year but the subsequent list of things I've broken this year has taken precedence unfortunately. The plan for my own car is to have a mounting system that mounts to the underside of the factory crashbar and can easily be removed with little or no tools.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Happy Friday, long time no update, we're gearing up to make some waves with the FK7, namely with an engine and trans build on top of new turbos.

The goal here is to build an easily replicable path to making a reliable 400whp and seeing how the L15 handles being revved high when it has the right components for it. Speaking of the components here's what we've got for the engine:
  • BC H beam rods
  • JE pistons
  • Wiseco pistons (I couldn't make up my mind, I still haven't)
  • Boundary oil pump gears
  • Kelford cams (stage 1)
  • Kelford springs and retainers
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products 1
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products 2
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products 3
Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products 4

The cylinder head is still off getting ported but I'm hoping to get it back in the next 2-3 weeks. I'll have plenty to share on that once it's back. With the head and cam setup I'm confident we'll be able to wind things out to 8500RPM without power tanking up top (once we have the right turbo on the car to support that much RPM)

As for the trans, it's getting a few treats that I'm waiting on coming in. We'll have a bunch of blog posts and some video content going over all the engine and trans stuff over the next couple of months.

Lastly is the turbo. This is a custom unit put together by my friend over at Art Gennari Turbo, the sizing isn't far off from a lot of other stock frame upgrades on the market and I'm thinking it should be able to get us to the 350whp range and once we know how this does we'll get a larger one put together to shoot for the 400whp mark. To start the car is going back together with the stock turbo so we can quantify gains with the cams and head work as something of an A-B comparison.

Honda Civic 10th gen FK7 Time Attack/Daily Driver and NEW Civic X Products 5

More to come!

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Great parts ,should be a solid build.
With the anti detonations grooves and a larger squish area I would get the Wiseco's ,specially for a turbo car.
JE always has a more generic design imo.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Great parts ,should be a solid build.
With the anti detonations grooves and a larger squish area I would get the Wiseco's ,specially for a turbo car.
JE always has a more generic design imo.
The Wiseco does have some upsides over the JEs, another being pin oiling holes which you can't see in the photo. It also has a bit more machine work to reduce weight but the biggest downside is it has smaller valve reliefs and being that the cams have both more lift and duration I feel more comfortable with a piston that has larger reliefs. I may still talk myself into using them though, I haven't filed the rings for either set yet.

I do plan to do a blog post covering all the differences as well as both stock piston options and how they all compare, which was my main reasoning for buying both sets. I just haven't had time to sit down and write it all out yet.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Would you be able to just cut slightly deeper reliefs in the Wisecos if that's your only gripe?
Any decent machine shop should be able to do this fairly easily, if piston to valve clearance is actually an issue with cams. If it is and machining them works, maybe wiseco would be interested in the findings and update their offerings.
Sponsored