First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R, 2012 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
😭😭SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! 😭😭

Does anyone know a good lawyer in Maryland or Pennsylvania?! I know I am going to need one! 😩
I bought used 2021 Honda Civic Type R last February with 22,000 miles on it. It was still under manufacturer’s warranty, had an additional 2-year dealer warranty through Hyundai (where I purchased the car), and also purchased an additional 5 year warranty through Assurant for $4,500! I purchased a carfax and reviewed all the services on the carfax before purchasing the car(not that it made a difference at all). I overpaid for this car at $49,000 because it is my dream car and all the warranties that came with it! 🤦🏽‍♀️
I started having issues in September. My clutch pedal kept going soft. I had it diagnosed and Honda told me it needed a new clutch, so I paid $3,000 for them to replace the clutch, as it was not covered under warranty because it is a “wearable part”.
I pick up my car from having the clutch replaced, and that very same day, the clutch pedal went soft again, as well as a brand new issue I have never had before. Now, when driving-my car would just randomly pop out of gears and my shifter would go back into neutral and I couldn’t get into the gear it popped out of. I took it back in to Honda, I was then told that it needed a new master/slave cylinder and hose of some sort, so I paid $750 for them to replace that because once again, it was not covered by warranty because that too, was a “wearable” part.
I drove my car from Honda to work and from work and back home and then put it in my storage unit because the weather was getting bad where I live at.
A month later, I got my car from the storage unit, it was making a very weird noise when I doling, but soon after-the noise went away, so I figured it may of been making the noise because it was so cold outside and in the storage unit. I got on the highway, ran into some traffic, and I lost EVERY GEAR in stop and go traffic on the highway! The noise started back up again at this time. I noticed that the noise went away when I pressed the clutch pedal in. I called Honda at that point and the mechanic I spoke to said that it sounded like a throwout bearing, which should have been replaced with that $3,000 clutch, right?! I had to have my car towed back to Honda because it was not safe to drive at all! After the tow truck got my Type R, I got a ride back to my storage unit to pick up my Civic Si and noticed a puddle of transmission fluid on the floor where the Type R was parked after being serviced by Honda for the clutch & master.
NOW, Honda is saying I need a new transmission because there is a crack in the transmission case and it is $10,000! At first, they told me that the transmission was covered under warranty, then they said that it was not covered because they seen “Honda bond” on the casing, which means someone was inside the transmission.
I can assure you that I was NEVER inside my transmission, as I am woman, who is not a master mechanic. I don’t have $10,000, so I was researching what “Honda bond” is. I stopped by another Honda and asked them for a copy of all the services ever done on my car. On the list is: a synchronized and another service date of a gear box or something like that, which was done before I got the car. It also had a transmission fluid leak that the previous owner refused the service repair on 1 month before I purchased the car. NONE of these things were listed on the original carfax service history report I received when I purchased this car!
Anyways, under those services, it had “Honda bond” as a part that was used! So HONDA is the one that put the Honda Bond on my car that they are stating as their reason for not covering my transmission?! That makes no sense at all, so I call to have a chit chat with Honda!
After I proved that point to them, their newest excuse for no covering the transmission was: “the crack looks like it came from an outside source”. What outside source? I have barely driven the car since Honda “fixed” the clutch, and then the master/slave cylinders and charged me $3,750 to mess my car up worse than it was originally!
I put in a complaint through Honda and NOW they are saying they will not cover it because I have a Hondata Flash Pro on it, which I can not seem to understand exactly how a flashpro would cause a clutch, master cylinder/slave cylinder, and a hose to suddenly go to shit, but whatever, they are just making excuses at this point. I should, at minimum be refunded the $3,750 for a clutch, master/slave cylinder, since my car was not properly diagnosed and there is STILL not anything related to my transmission showing on any of the diagnostics I am paying $150 each for! 😡
Do these issues sound similar to what anyone else has experienced? What was actually wrong with your transmission? Do you know anyone else that had similar experiences? I know my flashpro did not cause because I had ZERO transmission issues with my car until Honda “fixed” my clutch & master/slave cylinders! Could they have done something to my transmission while “fixing” my clutch or master/slave cylinder and hose replacement ?
And before I hear a blast about “maybe you don’t know how to drive a clutch”…please just don’t. I feel judged enough already for being a woman throughout this entire ordeal, so I don’t need any more of judgements. I know how to drive a clutch, as it is all I have ever owned. I have a 2012 civic si with 100,000 miles on it and still on the original clutch, which is working just fine. There is no way it was my driving that destroyed a car when I have put less than 7,000 miles on the car.
Silly me, I didn’t realize I was supposed to visually inspect the clutch, master/slave cylinder, and the inside of a transmission before purchasing a vehicle that has 3 separate warranties on it!

Someone PLEASE help! 😭
Sponsored

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
have you tried insurance?

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Not that I agree with any of this as far as Honda is concerned as a company but you do omit that you do have a Hondata tuner on the car yes?
I feel for ya but it is widely accepted and known that tuners immediately violate the terms of any warranty that may possibly exist and that Honda would likely be a little bit more helpful if that were not on the car.
Anyone, man or woman, who do any sort of research on car tuning, know within a few moments of researching the matter, always lead to some discussion on warranty violations and that you as the owner are now responsible for any and all damage you inflict on said vehicle.
Again, not trying to be a dick but the Hondata unit was a dead giveaway and they saw an easy way to tell you to go screw.
I hope you find redemption but not likely on this forum.

OP
OP

Cinderpop

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
have you tried insurance?
What do you mean “insurance”? Like, my car insurance? I don’t think car insurance covers mechanical issues. :-/
I have the manufacturer’s warranty, another warranty through the dealer, and then a warranty “Assurant” that I paid for when I purchased the vehicle.

OP
OP

Cinderpop

First Name
Cindy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not that I agree with any of this as far as Honda is concerned as a company but you do omit that you do have a Hondata tuner on the car yes?
I feel for ya but it is widely accepted and known that tuners immediately violate the terms of any warranty that may possibly exist and that Honda would likely be a little bit more helpful if that were not on the car.
Anyone, man or woman, who do any sort of research on car tuning, know within a few moments of researching the matter, always lead to some discussion on warranty violations and that you as the owner are now responsible for any and all damage you inflict on said vehicle.
Again, not trying to be a dick but the Hondata unit was a dead giveaway and they saw an easy way to tell you to go screw.
I hope you find redemption but not likely on this forum.
I completely understand what you are saying regarding the Hondata and voiding the warranty, but the part that is not ok (in my opinion) is that this car had A lot of issues related to the transmission long before I purchased it. Honda did all the previous repairs to the syncro, gear set, shift fork, and main shaft seal-yet none of those things were on the service reports I received at purchase. These issues were repairs at 3 separate times. Then, there was a leak reported to Honda 10 days before I purchased the car that the previous owner refused the work to be done for. This car had plenty of documented transmission issues well before I purchased it, so it is not related to the tune. It also took a complete shit within 100 miles of Honda replacing the clutch, master cylinder, slave cylinder, and doing a complete diagnostic test that denied any issues with the transmission. The mechanic who works on my civic si was with me when I picked up my Type R and took it to the storage unit and he was also with me when I took it out of the storage unit, as I can’t drive two vehicles at the same time. I did nothing to this car to possibly ruin or damage the transmission.
If I would not have bought a car with previous transmission issues and the transmission was take a shit, I would understand if they didn’t cover the transmission if I had a Hondata on it, but these issues started before I purchased the car and I was lied to on multiple occasions by Honda in emails and texts stating that Honda has never touched this transmission when they know damn well that they are the only ones that have been in that transmission. 😑

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
What do you mean “insurance”? Like, my car insurance? I don’t think car insurance covers mechanical issues. :-/
I have the manufacturer’s warranty, another warranty through the dealer, and then a warranty “Assurant” that I paid for when I purchased the vehicle.
If there is physical damage at the bottom of the trans you may be able to claim it as road hazard.
Sponsored