The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models)

Gandalf

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
So, here's why it's important to fill in the thread format fully when people add their car here. Those "driving style" and "tune experience notes" areas are invaluable when studying failures.

Here's a synopsis of the Si failures that hopefully will put some people's minds at rest. Basically, your non-flex fuel, OTS tuned daily driver that's not FBO and not driven super aggressively should be fine ...

Flex fuel, custom, FBO, big turbo, super aggressive.

Hondata base map, FBO, 93, aggressive.

TSP Stage 1, BOV, speed racer.

FBO, stock turbo, flex fuel.

Custom tune, FBO, flex fuel, canyon carver.

Phearable 1.5, 93, CAI, aggressive (killed clutch at 15K).

Custom, FBO, big turbo, flex fuel, autocross and track use.

Custom, 91, FBO, track use.

KTuner base, 93, CAI, "normal driving".

Custom, FBO, flex fuel, aggressive.

Hondata base map, FBO, 93, touge racer.

Flex fuel, Phearable 2.5, FBO, extremely aggressive.

Custom, flex fuel, big turbo, aggressive.

Hondata, Powermetric flex fuel tune, FBO, bat out of hell.

Custom, flex fuel, FBO, big turbo, aggressive.

TSP 1+, 93, CAI, aggressive.

Custom, flex fuel, FBO, banging gears all the time.

Phearable 2.5, flex fuel, FBO, pushes the limits.

Phearable 1.5, FBO, 91 +E85 top off, canyons.

Phearable GC+ tune, big turbo, FBO, flex fuel, spirited

TSP 1+, 93, CAI, TIP, "normal driving".

Custom, 93, FBO, "normal driving".

Phearable 2.5, flex fuel, CAI, aggressive.

Custom, 93, CAI, DP, spirited.

Custom, 93, FBO, big turbo, very spirited.

Phearable 1.5, CAI, IC, 91, Tail of the dragon.

Feel better @NixChixFix??

Last edited:

Gandalf

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
So, here's why it's important to fill in the thread format fully when people add their car here. Those "driving style" and "tune experience notes" areas are invaluable when studying failures.

Here's a synopsis of the Si failures that hopefully will put some people's minds at rest. Basically, your tuned daily driver that's not FBO and not driven aggressively should be fine ...
Also the kind of stats I was looking for! 💪

Honda Civic 10th gen The Tuned CivicX Experience & Reliability Thread (for all models) 1719862476113-a3

DadBodMod17

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic 4dr Si.
Country flag

Here's a synopsis of the Si failures that hopefully will put some people's minds at rest. Basically, your tuned daily driver that's not FBO and not driven aggressively should be fine ...

I love this. Gives the sense that some people were driving the thing almost to try to break it... which I get. I'm kind of of the mindset of "dive it, break it, and upgrade it....". While I don't beat the bajesus out of my car YET... there will be a time that I do and when it breaks, I will understand why..
But this data is so good to see that just having a bit of fun on a twisty backroad from time to time is likely not going to cause any open heart surgery for our lil'1.5's.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I feel pretty confident most people just having their fun here and there running 93 with a couple of bolt ons will be just fine long term.

Some of it is knowing when to say "when". Like today. I was on an empty highway at 5:00 AM this morning. 59 degrees outside. The car was so jumpy. I love boost weather.

So yeah, I did a very, very high speed pull. But there was that moment in my brain when I thought "for reliability sake" the pedal's been to the metal long enough and I backed off. But man, was that fun.

After a while a Maxima decided he wanted to play with the Civic. He left unhappy and unsatisfied. :cool:

Last edited:

DadBodMod17

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic 4dr Si.
Country flag
Update to post 4384, 4499, 4804, 5075, 5346, 5691, 5832, 6390, 6673, 7490

Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 26 Months

Tuned miles driven: , ~14,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: K-Tuner 2.0

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5R, MAPerformance Stage 1+

Fuel used: 93 Only. Shell VPower when possible.

Additional related mods: StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors (all 4), Hawk 5.0 Pads, PRL Cobra CAI. PRL HVDP, PRL Front Pipe, MAP Street Exhaust, PRL FMIC, VTT Charge Pipes, added: RV6 flywheel and stage 0 clutch, PRL RMM, Whiteline Front Sway bar, TSP ARP Head Studs, MAP Cam Cover, Acuity Pedal spacer (setting A currently).

Problems/issues: still none. Other than I don’t get to drive it as often as I would like.

Driving style: found a nice little twisty back road near me that is usually pretty desolate. Love taking quick sprints there.

Tune experience notes: Going to be as gentle as possible for the next thousand or so miles until I can change the oil again, and confirm that my ARP Head Stud swap didn't disrupt the Head Gasket at all. Will also use the time to practice a bit of heel-toe action with the new pedal spacer. Position "A" seems to be the most natural feeling. "B" was way above the brake pedal when applying brakes so that wasn't comfortable at all... I feel like my brake pads are getting a bit low so will need to check those out in the near-ish future.

NixChixFix

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag

Here's a synopsis of the Si failures that hopefully will put some people's minds at rest. Basically, your non-flex fuel, OTS tuned daily driver that's not FBO and not driven super aggressively should be fine ...

Beautiful (as beautiful it can be about a painful thing anyway. 😂) That's why you're an invaluable member of the community!

That last one though, is right where I'm at minus the IC, but a percentage of a percentage shouldn't scare me too much. 😂

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
One more thing to add about the Si failures. Half of them were running a flex fuel kit. Now, I'm not saying ethanol is somehow the problem. It's a lot less complex than that.

Flex fuel tunes are higher output. Combine that with super aggressive driving and the risk of failure obviously goes way up.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually one more thing to add I just thought of. Those two items on the thread entry format ... "Driving style" and Tune experience notes". It's so important that people fill those out in detail. We get so many people who either skip them altogether or maybe write two words.

When cars fail, context is important. So if a car fails and all we know is they blew the engine without knowing much else, it doesn't help the community.

I want to give props to one guy in particular who was blatantly honest in letting people know why his Si failed. Here's the way he filled out those two items:

Driving style: No chill, drop the clutch everywhere and top speed run any chance I get. Commute to college and work. Once done I would hit up the local meet and race anyone there, be it cruise or otherwise.

Tuning experience notes: This is the first car I bought and I had no previous tuning experience or manual experience otherwise. I learned from my friends GTI and bought this. I abused the car through and through day in and day out. But I loved the thrill and wanted more power.

I tuned the car with a KTuner v1.2, my laptop and ordered a tune from TSP. Unfortunately doing one of my pulls the motor blew. I'm lucky to be alive and I don't own the vehicle anymore since I would be too irresponsible with it.

Last edited:

FaceNachos

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI sedan
Country flag
Vehicle: 2020 Civic SI (FC1)

Total tuned time: 28 months

Tuned miles driven: ~48,000 tuned (~60,000 total)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: Shell 93 only

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI w/ street maf, type R shifter with acuity bits.

Problems/issues: Clutch is just staring to show signs of slip. When rolling on the throttle around 3.5rpm in 4th I get a little slip. Wearable part though, and I will be upgrading to rv6 retrofit.

Driving style: Fairly tame when commuting with spirited spurts. (Daily pulls, nothing crazy)

Tuning experience notes: So far so good. The 2020 k-tuner issue is still a thorn so I have just left rev hang enabled and all is well. I have more bolt-on upgrades on the way, maybe even a turbo 😏 and will update accordingly. If I do GC turbo I would upgrade to custom tune from Drob. "No ragerts"
Vehicle: 2020 Civic SI (FC1)

Total tuned time: 3.5 years, Since Jan 2021

Tuned miles driven: ~64,000 tuned (~76,000 total)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5

Fuel used: Shell 93 only

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI w/ street maf, 27won TIP, PRL intercooler and charge pipes, RV6 catted DP and FP, RV6 retrofit flywheel excedy stage 0 clutch, type R shifter with acuity parts, rear sway bar

Problems/issues: She's a regular commuter car, no issues at all.

Driving style: Fairly tame when commuting with spirited spurts. (Daily pulls, nothing crazy) I've been very easy on her lately, my commute changed and I have less back roads and opportunities to get on it.

Tuning experience notes: So far so good. No issues with tune. FBO now and have a Vargas GC turbo that has been sitting in the box for almost a year. 😵 Hopefully getting the turbo in soon and going to PA for a custom DRob tune.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update. Some nice changes since your last post. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

TheDeliSauce

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

blacklion703

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback EX, 2017 CR-V EX
Country flag
Sooooo..
I blew my motor 4 years ago by not following the tuner's instructions. Too much ethanol and too thin oil is not a good match. I got a new motor put in (.06 miles on the clock) and this is my update:

Vehicle: 2017 Hatchback EX

Total tuned time: 4years 5 months(New Motor)

Tuned miles driven: 85k.

Tuning device(s) used:
ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: Custom Tune by IMW

Fuel used: 93 and E30 blend avery now and then

Additional related mods:27 WON W1 Turbo, 27WON Turbo Inlet Pipe, Injen Intercooler and intercooler Pipes, Skunk2 Intake Manifold, PRL Cobra SRI (Race MAF), PRL CVT Cooler, PRL FLex Fuel Kit, Ignition Projects Coil Pack, Koyo Radiator, AFE Catted down pipe, AFE Frontpipe

Problems/issues: None (except spark plugs and clogged injectors)

Driving style: Most of the time reserved. I do like "spirited" driving. Never floor it. Always gentle with the throttle. It's my daily race car.

Tune experience notes: Once you follow directions, the custom tune is amazing. Car runs great. It has enough power and torque that make is fun to drive. I don't drive 120 miles a day anymore so my engine's longevity is better. I am happy that i tried it agaion.

So my turbo blew. It had about 82k miles on it but it was 82k hard miles added. It was a 27Won W1 which I installed in September 2021. I am getting a new one. Staying with the W1 so i don't have to recalibrate my tune.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the update on the blown W1. The newer one's are supposed to be better, reliability-wise.
Sponsored