Shaking after Garageline 20mm Spacer install.

Phillyp17

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
As the title says, I just installed 20mm Front/Rear spacers on my Si. Driving at low speed in fine until I hit about 40-50, that’s when I start to feel the steering wheel shake. I triple checked the torque specs and the spacer and the lug nuts are set to 80lb ft. Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Stock wheels or what?

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yes stock wheels
Not the answer I was suspecting. Maybe try to isolate the issue. Take the front spacers off and see if you get a smooth ride. If you identified a set of good spacers then move them to the front. Troubleshoot in that way to isolate the issue. Maybe it's just one spacer. Hard to say at this point.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Very likely the wheels is not centered. Any hub ring installed?
He mentioned he's on stock wheels which obviously are already hubcentric. :cool:

OP, just throwing this odd possibility out there. Maybe a wheel weight come off during the install?

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
He mentioned he's on stock wheels which obviously are already hubcentric. :cool:

OP, just throwing this odd possibility out there. Maybe a wheel weight come off during the install?
My first thought. Seems unbalanced now.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just throwing stuff out there to check. Since it only happens at higher speed, it does seem like a balance issue. If a wheel or wheels were slightly out of balance to begin with, spacers might magnify the issue. Food for thought.

OP
OP
Phillyp17

Phillyp17

First Name
Phill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag

OP, just throwing this odd possibility out there. Maybe a wheel weight come off during the install? But it's probably more likely that one of the spacers is defective.
The wheel weights are still on there. Just checked everything this morning and made sure nothing was looses and retorqued all the bolts to 80lbft just to make sure. Still starts shaking at around 50 and heavy vibrations at around 75-85. I’m pretty sure that I need to rebalance the wheels but since I haven’t been driving much, I’m going to let it sit in the garage until I install my Skunk2 springs on the way and get an alignment and balance all together.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like a smart plan.

Just curious why your torqued to 85 versus the standard 80?

GoldClass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
The wheel weights are still on there. Just checked everything this morning and made sure nothing was looses and retorqued all the bolts to 80lbft just to make sure. Still starts shaking at around 50 and heavy vibrations at around 75-85. I’m pretty sure that I need to rebalance the wheels but since I haven’t been driving much, I’m going to let it sit in the garage until I install my Skunk2 springs on the way and get an alignment and balance all together.
I know the vibration occurs after the spacer installed. Test run without the spacer. If does not vibrate, confirm is something going on with the spacer. Suggest to address the vibration first before lowered as it might get thing too complicated later.

Edit: Is the Garageline spacer is for Si specified and not for other make/model?

Last edited:
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Touring coupe
Country flag
Did this get fixed OP? I have 20mm front/rear getting installed this week on 20 coupe touring factory wheels. Do these bolt right up no modifications needed? Garageline is brand will be using. Thanks

brownman

Driving a car in the land of the truck
First Name
eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic lx sedan
Country flag
lifted truck and jeep answers here I come! that is usually from the retainer clips for the rotor being left on the than applying the spacer on top. remove retainers and that should solve your shake. if not try to center the ring on the studs before setting the tire on.
Sponsored