Rims for you guys with too much money..

SaiHayashi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FN2R NHB 2008; NA8 MX-5 turbo 2013; LandRover Discovery 2016; FK8R CW 2017
Country flag
Comparing the R888 to any of these is ridiculous. Its an R compound tire . It cant be driven in rain AT ALL Not to mention the horrendous road noise and has no business on a civic unless youre at a track day. A 19 inch tire isnt priced that much different to a 20
"The problem is choice." - Neo

Neither Bridgestone nor Advan offer that tyre size. Bridgestone comes close with 245/35/20, but then given how the Aussie market work its probably gonna be same price as PSS...
Sponsored

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Lotus Exige; 2018 & 2021 Honda Type R
Country flag
I seriously don't understand your comment on R888 in down pours... driven with them in the rain often and never once experienced a single issue in the rain. Heck the R888 is my rain track tire on another car also when not running Hoosiers. They grip well in rain the only time the R888 is garbage is sub 40-50 degrees and the street temps are colder than the air.

I'm also not the only one to express this... pages and pages of car forums of people who daily R888. If you aren't a smooth driver then yes I'd say worry about the R888 in deep standing water but if you just drive casually and don't purposely jerk your wheel around you truly do not have any issues with the R888 in the rain. Most extreme summer tires handle this way in the rain. Those Contis I mentioned were just as wishy washy in standing water even with AWD...

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Bouncing off of the AutoCon thread:

It's 99% 5x120.. right? @JYR
For those interested in buying wheels before you know the vehicle specifics, I have seen many times where bolt pattern, offset, diameter, and width were all identical but the wheel didn't fit because of the brake caliper to wheel spoke design clearances. If the front suspension and knuckle system is as high-tech as Honda is making it out to be, I can without a doubt say that I am not anticipating wheel fitments to be as simple as picking an offset and and claiming it to just magically 'work'. On top of that, knowing the offset is only a small piece of the puzzle. Anyone want to take a stab at what the hub bore will be? The R will likely use different axles as well.

I am not even considering wheels at this point, until someone reputable like Tire Rack or one of the other major wheel players actually measures or test fit wheel on the vehicle. I do not have any clue as to what the wheel bolt pattern of the R will be.

Last edited:

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am not even considering wheels at this point, until someone reputable like Tire Rack or one of the other major wheel players actually measures or test fit wheel on the vehicle. I do not have any clue as to what the wheel bolt pattern of the R will be.
Maybe I'm wrong to assume but Honda has always been built around the tuner community... Even the Type R in Japan and Europe has always had large aftermarket following. Limited wheel size to strictly 20" at least to me is a decision that will piss off a lot of HDPE, AutoX, and racing potential buyers.

Personally if I'm unable to downsize from that rim I will not be purchasing that car because it makes winter driving impossible.

JYR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
8th gen Si
Country flag
Yes, I think that you will be able to downsize, without a doubt. But it seems as though some are almost ready to pull the trigger on buying wheels, before the R becomes a product they are touching in the dealership lots.

My point is, hold your damn horses before buying wheels for this thing.

Slow down people, slow down.

ayau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Country flag
There will be at least a few months of owning the CTR before the northern areas will get snow. Should be plenty of time to pick up some winter wheels for those that will daily it all year. It's not like one is going to spend $3k for some Volks with a 3 month wait to daily them in the winter.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Aiming for 400whp out of the TypeR.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Black CTR #4071, 16 MDX Tech
Country flag
Anyone else feel these 20" rims with barely any tire looks absolutely hideous? Maybe I'm just not into thin tires but that just looks so bad to me... from almost all angles of this car out in the wild the rims just to me look odd without tire around it.

IMG_4705.PNG
Think of all the $$$ you can finally save on tire shine products?! Man, gotta be an easy $5 to $10 a year right there!

Bouncing off of the AutoCon thread:

For those interested in buying wheels before you know the vehicle specifics, I have seen many times where bolt pattern, offset, diameter, and width were all identical but the wheel didn't fit because of the brake caliper to wheel spoke design clearances. If the front suspension and knuckle system is as high-tech as Honda is making it out to be, I can without a doubt say that I am not anticipating wheel fitments to be as simple as picking an offset and and claiming it to just magically 'work'. On top of that, knowing the offset is only a small piece of the puzzle. Anyone want to take a stab at what the hub bore will be? The R will likely use different axles as well.

Someone with access to the parts catalog...keep an eye out for the Type R option to go live in the system.

I know they used to put some dimensions stamped into the back of the spokes. Not sure if they still do and I also don't know if they give enough information... If I had to guess, I would guess that these OEM wheels are Enkei and if you reach out to Enkei and get ahold of somebody there, they could tell what other wheels fit. Maybe. Not sure if they'd give up the 3d models or CAD drawings...

NorthernEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Think of all the $$$ you can finally save on tire shine products?! Man, gotta be an easy $5 to $10 a year right there!

Someone with access to the parts catalog...keep an eye out for the Type R option to go live in the system.

I know they used to put some dimensions stamped into the back of the spokes. Not sure if they still do and I also don't know if they give enough information... If I had to guess, I would guess that these OEM wheels are Enkei and if you reach out to Enkei and get ahold of somebody there, they could tell what other wheels fit. Maybe. Not sure if they'd give up the 3d models or CAD drawings...
Does your 16mdx have them stamped inside? My 16 ext has everything stamped in there still. Frig, I wonder if someone can bend down and shine a light in there and see?!

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Does your 16mdx have them stamped inside? My 16 ext has everything stamped in there still. Frig, I wonder if someone can bend down and shine a light in there and see?!
Hmm.. good question! I'll try to take a look!

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
Nothing yet Brian, just checked. Hopefully the parts are not controlled! If they are we will need a specific Type R vin to see whats available for it. The Mugen si parts are all controlled. No vin, no parts show up.

17CivicTypeR_Brian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Nothing yet Brian, just checked. Hopefully the parts are not controlled! If they are we will need a specific Type R vin to see whats available for it. The Mugen si parts are all controlled. No vin, no parts show up.
Dang yeah I remember that issue with the Mugen Si's. BTW I wonder how hard it was to get Mugen RR parts? haha

bobafettm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
All the new personal photos of this car are making those rims look funnier every time. They seem to skinny and are set way to far into the wheel well... most of the time I don't notice that but with tires that thin around the rim I'm seeing it more and more.