It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit!

OP
OP
Austin@Wunderladen Racing
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.wunderladenracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
Could it just depend on which rotor you buy that might necessitate the rings? Like one companies rotor may be truer than the next? I don’t have any engineering knowledge so maybe this makes no sense. And I should have clarified in my original post that it’s possible I’m experiencing a placebo effect because any vibration I may have felt was very slight. I’m not tracking my vehicle or getting it anywhere close to 100+ mph.
Lower quality rotors will definitely be more likely to have worse runout and thus increased vibrations so different brands can give different results.
Sponsored

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
For those who are running the EBC redstuff pads I would suggest to ditch the 3M rubberized shims as they detract a little bit from pedal feel. Plus they don’t seem to be necessary for noise prevention as long as you use some grease on the stainless tabs on the caliper where the pads sit on. I removed the shims recently and noticed increased pedal feel with no new noises. Loving this bbk even more now. 😎
I’m going to have to retract my earlier statement about not using the self adhesive rubber shims that come with the redstuff pads. Without it I was getting a bit of squeal consistently when reversing down my driveway from a cold start. Also, after extended distances on the highway without any brake usage, I would get really bad squeal the first few applications of the brakes. My kids would be alarmed and asked what the noise was… lol. So I bought another set of the adhesive shims which resolved the noise issue but at the price of slight loss of pedal feel. I may just ditch the redstuff pads and try something else. To me the redstuff pads aren’t as low dust as advertised either. Not impressed at all in that department but the stopping performance is great. Anyone else with the redstuff pads have the same experience? I had Porterfield R4-S all 4 corners with the stock brakes and they are truly low dusting. I may just swap out the redstuff for the Porterfields. The R4-S also comes with a traditional metal shim with a rubberized coating that clamps onto the back of the pad instead of the adhesive strips that EBC provides.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
I’m going to have to retract my earlier statement about not using the self adhesive rubber shims that come with the redstuff pads. Without it I was getting a bit of squeal consistently when reversing down my driveway from a cold start. Also, after extended distances on the highway without any brake usage, I would get really bad squeal the first few applications of the brakes. My kids would be alarmed and asked what the noise was… lol. So I bought another set of the adhesive shims which resolved the noise issue but at the price of slight loss of pedal feel. I may just ditch the redstuff pads and try something else. To me the redstuff pads aren’t as low dust as advertised either. Not impressed at all in that department but the stopping performance is great. Anyone else with the redstuff pads have the same experience? I had Porterfield R4-S all 4 corners with the stock brakes and they are truly low dusting. I may just swap out the redstuff for the Porterfields. The R4-S also comes with a traditional metal shim with a rubberized coating that clamps onto the back of the pad instead of the adhesive strips that EBC provides.
I have the redstuff on my car as well and have noticed similar noises lately (have about 10k on the kit now). It certainly wasn't doing it last year but it's enough that I've contacted some of the folks over at EBC to see what their thoughts are and if there is an easy resolution for it.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
I think I may try the SR-11 compound after I use up my RP-1. Interested in hearing how you like them!
I made a little data grid to compare ebc pads with the EBC chart. In my opinion on paper SR-11 are the best for my use.

10 = better

PadsCold BiteLow DustWear LifeBed speedLow noiseFade Res.Av. mu
Yellow7865106.56
Blue876977.56.5
RP-1677777.57
RP-X868867.57
SR-11981097109
SR-21106101051010

Last edited:

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
I got my kit yesturday !!!

They are huge loll

Verry nice quality caliper thx to Austin and ebc to make it happen.

Package is nice each caliper are signed by hands with the guys who did it.

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! 20240425_193311

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! 20240425_192922

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! 20240425_193328

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! 20240425_193306

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! 20240425_193024

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! 20240426_100955

Last edited:

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I have the redstuff on my car as well and have noticed similar noises lately (have about 10k on the kit now). It certainly wasn't doing it last year but it's enough that I've contacted some of the folks over at EBC to see what their thoughts are and if there is an easy resolution for it.
I ended up replacing the redstuff pads with Porterfield R4-S and I'm very satisfied. The R4-S are a bit more expensive at $160 and in the same price range as Carbotech 1521/G-Loc GS-1, which I was also thinking about, but since I already had R4-S in the rear I figured it would be best to match. I liked the performance of the redstuff pads but lacking a traditional metal shim and instead using that soft adhesive strip did cause a little bit of sponginess in the pedal feel which bothered me. But I'm OCD like that and I'm sure most people wouldn't bother. The R4-S does come with a coated metal shim and the pedal feel was improved to my liking. Haven't had any noise issues either so far.

If anyone is looking for a set of very lightly used redstuff pads DM me. From my measurements only 1 mm of pad material was used over 4k miles. I'll take any reasonable offer.

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! IMG_0605

Honda Civic 10th gen It's Finally Here! The Wunderladen Racing Big Brake Kit! IMG_0606

creaturemachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Integra
For anyone running this kit daily, how did it hold up over winter? It can get pretty salty and messy here so I'm just curious how things look after a year. I'd be interested in the street kit since I don't track, and it seems like calipers with boots would handle these conditions better.

Thanks.

OP
OP
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
I ended up replacing the redstuff pads with Porterfield R4-S and I'm very satisfied. The R4-S are a bit more expensive at $160 and in the same price range as Carbotech 1521/G-Loc GS-1, which I was also thinking about, but since I already had R4-S in the rear I figured it would be best to match. I liked the performance of the redstuff pads but lacking a traditional metal shim and instead using that soft adhesive strip did cause a little bit of sponginess in the pedal feel which bothered me. But I'm OCD like that and I'm sure most people wouldn't bother. The R4-S does come with a coated metal shim and the pedal feel was improved to my liking. Haven't had any noise issues either so far.

If anyone is looking for a set of very lightly used redstuff pads DM me. From my measurements only 1 mm of pad material was used over 4k miles. I'll take any reasonable offer.
Do you have a part number from Porterfield that we can add to our list of compatible pads?

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

IMG_0605.jpeg

IMG_0606.jpeg

How is dust compared to the Red stuff?

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Last edited:

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How is dust compared to the Red stuff?
I only have about 400 miles on the R4-S pads but so far the dusting is noticeably less. Either that or the dust color is lighter so it's harder to see. The break in period on the redstuff was extremely dusty and even EBC states that would happen. But after the break in it's supposed to be a low dust pad and I just didn't find that to be true. Mind you it's not terrible but it got the wheels dirty a lot faster then it should have.

Another difference is the R4-S comes with a small chamfer on the edges as well to aid in noise reduction which is a nice touch.

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I only have about 400 miles on the R4-S pads but so far the dusting is noticeably less. Either that or the dust color is lighter so it's harder to see. The break in period on the redstuff was extremely dusty and even EBC states that would happen. But after the break in it's supposed to be a low dust pad and I just didn't find that to be true. Mind you it's not terrible but it got the wheels dirty a lot faster then it should have.

Another difference is the R4-S comes with a small chamfer on the edges as well to aid in noise reduction which is a nice touch.
I've found red stuff to be very dusty as well. I can't really tell a difference between it and yellow stuff

I'll look into Porterfield since they make pads in 4 compounds for RL calipers
Sponsored