VividDreams17

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
New Britain Connecticut United States Of America
Vehicle(s)
2016 honda civic coupe EX-T
So someone brought it up to me that instead of making the type r wagon I should instead think of doing a 10th gen civic coupe type r but the only issue I’m looking at is the unreal prices for civic si in my area atleast

I have a 2016 Honda civic ext coupe in Aegean blue I really like the color and it only has 77k miles

I'm seeing some civic si 2018-2020 80k+ miles all for 20k plus I got my ext with about 45-50k miles I can’t exactly remember. I got it 2 years ago wen the car market was extremely expensive for 20-21k I put 3k down for 4 years with I believe a 3.5 apr rate

I’m saying all that to say if after the 2 years of me paying the car off or if I pay it off 1 more year should I get an si to do the type r treatment on it or do it on the ext I know for a fact my car isn’t gonna be worth much and I’m done with it I can probably get at best 10k on the street/Facebook but that’s if I’m lucky

so would it be worth it to spend the 5k to manual swap my car instead of having to put up another 10k for an si to start the type r conversion I’m not sure if the si is still gonna hold its value as good but for it be 4+ years old with that high of miles it ain’t depreciate much.
Sponsored

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
In the history of cars swapping a base model into a higher level, like a base EVO to a EVOX and such, never works out for a lot of the little bits that go into that car. The shell is the same but so much is different I think you would be better served spending the cash to get a Type R at some point, as you would invariably spend more than a Type R I would speculate making a Frankenstein Type R.

OP
OP

VividDreams17

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the history of cars swapping a base model into a higher level, like a base EVO to a EVOX and such, never works out for a lot of the little bits that go into that car. The shell is the same but so much is different I think you would be better served spending the cash to get a Type R at some point, as you would invariably spend more than a Type R I would speculate making a Frankenstein Type R.
It wouldn’t be full Frankenstein bcuz I would directly use the parts I’ll use a k20 swap but most likely the one from the accord bcuz that one is cheaper it I’m pretty sure and they have about the same internals major difference is the turbo but I’ll probably run a bigger turbo and other mods then suspension I’ll probably be using aftermarket for all the suspension parts so the most ctr parts that r gonna be on the car is the styling such as aero and badges

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
If you want to do engine swap madness I'd go back 2 generations. Buy a 2006-2011 Civic Si, build a N/A k24/k20 hybrid that can rev to 9000 rpm. It's not worth the hassle on the 10th gen platform.

OP
OP

VividDreams17

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want to do engine swap madness I'd go back 2 generations. Buy a 2006-2011 Civic Si, build a N/A k24/k20 hybrid that can rev to 9000 rpm. It's not worth the hassle on the 10th gen platform.
is the 10th gen just one of those cars that are difficult to do stuff to because the tech and expenses

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wait a minute you’re supposed to say “part it out” 😩😩😩
Nah Part it out is overplayed. It’s 2024. I’m a new man!
I got a lot of hate mail for the “part it out” scene. Now I’m more supportive and positive. 😁

OP
OP

VividDreams17

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nah Part it out is overplayed. It’s 2024. I’m a new man!
I got a lot of hate mail for the “part it out” scene. Now I’m more supportive and positive. 😁
whats that scene haven't heard of it or is just people all over facebook parting out there cars

Builtfc1

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
is the 10th gen just one of those cars that are difficult to do stuff to because the tech and expenses
It’s difficult ie takes money to make a lot of power. For instance you can throw an eBay turbo with a cheap turbo kit on a k20a2 and make 450-600 hp easily. Or throw some rods and pistons and turbo spec head and make 900-1000 for the same price it took me to make 430 on my L15b7.

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
If you think the price of the Si is hard for you right now, this conversion is never going to get off the ground.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Call me stupid but instead of these daily fantasy ideas you're coming up with, why not consider this idea ...

An EX-T coupe is a decent base to create a really fun car.

Get yourself some nice lightweight 18" wheels. For example the Enkei tuning series. Add a quality tire like a Conti DWS06+. Purchase a bigger aftermarket rear sway bar.

Get a KTuner. I prefer the V2 touchscreen model. The Phearable 1.5R will give you a huge bump in power and fun. Upgrade the intercooler and add a 27Won or PRL intake.

Optionally, throw on some cosmetic mods you like. A front lip and rear spoiler would be a good place to start.

At that point, with about $3-4K spent you'd have a helluva nice car that would be a cut above.

Or go your fantasy route. Drain you bank account. Potentially get in over your head and create headache and heartache.

Look, there's nothing wrong with being a dreamer. But you need to decide if all the potential nightmare scenarios are worth it versus the sure thing.

For the average Civic owner, I think these grand conversion ideas are silly. On the other hand if someone has an abundance of money and can afford to throw away a lot of it without blinking, sure go for it.

The other option is to save up your money for a few years and enjoy your Civic for the reliable econobox it is. When your car is paid off and you've save some money, trade it in for a Type R or some other fun car you like

Hey if you got deep pockets….. skies the limit bro!
I say, go for it!
Yep. My sentiment exactly. But for anyone tight on money --- it's reality check time.

sbace_hamb

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7
Country flag
If you think the price of the Si is hard for you right now, this conversion is never going to get off the ground.
This is probably the point most of us are hung up on. It's totally fine to theorize and discuss potential for a swap like you have, fun even, but to turn around and talk about trying to save money and make smart economical choices in other threads is going to paint a very confusing image. Do you have so much money to where you don't have to think about that concern when planning for your car, or do you need to be smart with it? They're not necessarily mutually exclusive, but they do seem a bit like contradictory stances.

All that to say, it's your money and your car. If you want to do brain surgery on your EX-T? Go for it. Want to buy an SI to do it on that instead? Nobody will stop you. And if you do it, a lot of us here will enjoy watching the journey. But I would expect the same kind of general response if you went to a Ford Focus forum asking about swapping your base model to an RS. There's a lot that goes into it, it'll be more economical to just buy the car you're trying to make it into, but if you've got money to piss away, go crazy. It'll be like that for any kind of project this large.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
It's not just that. Check his post history. Beyond his vivid dream conversion topics, he wrote these topics:

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/what-tires-are-the-best-for-the-price.88014/

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/budget-mods-for-my-ex-t.88005/

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/best-coilovers-for-the-performance-and-money.87904/

Dreams are cool but sometimes you need to look at the reality of the situation. Clearly he's on a budget and I totally get that. So am I.

The problem is, converting a car into something else isn't very budget friendly to say the least.

Personally I converted my blah performing stock EX-L into a fun machine and it turned out pretty well and on a budget. I even have money left over to buy gas. :cool:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
My buddy, with means, wanted to convert his Mustang GT into a GT350 - Did it ever happen? No. Does he have a GT 350 rear end sitting in his yard? Yes. Is it funny? Also, yes.
Sponsored