CVT filters with pan removal, pics

BrandonSmith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX 2.0L
Country flag
I have gather all the items needed to perform a cvt fluid and filters change i have planned but I have seen conflicting information when people are doing fluid and filter changes and its pretty different from person to person in how much fluid they are putting in. It ranges between 4-6 quarts of fresh fluid from multiple videos and read user posted experience of how much they use when they perform the job.

I currently only have 5 quarts of cvt fluid is it ok to be under or over a quart at most?

I suppose I can just see from the check fill bolt to see if its full but everyone who I seen do that lets the fluid pour out in the waste and replace it uptop with more fresh fluid poured in. And theres the possibility it doesn’t drip at all.

does nobody catch that fresh fluid and pour it back in?
Don't think I'm insulting you when I say you do not understand the process for refilling the CVT fluid. You need to read the service manual, not anyone else's "what I do...". Anything I have posted has been specifically from the Service Manual, with no changes. I may add clarity, but there have been no deviations from the Service Manual. I have attached step-by-step instructions from the Service Manual. These do not include anything for replacing the filters, but I posted those earlier in this thread.

1. There is no specific quantity of fluid that you pour in during a routine change, nor when you change the filters.
    • There is a two step process for filling. An initial fill and then a hot fill.
      • This is all explained in the service manual, and I suggest you study it BEFORE doing the work.
        1. Set the car LEVEL, not on a hill, incline, etc. LEVEL
        2. Remove the CHECK BOLT
        3. Pour fluid into the FILL HOLE until fluid comes out of the CHECK BOLT HOLE
        4. Reinstall CHECK BOLT
        5. Warm vehicle at IDLE until the coolant fan turns on twice
        6. With the brake pedal pushed and held all the way down, run the gear selector through every gear selection for a minimum of 3 seconds each: from P to L and then again in reverse order from L to P.
        7. Shut off the vehicle.
        8. Remove the CHECK BOLT
        9. Pour fluid into the FILL HOLE until fluid comes out of the CHECK BOLT HOLE
        10. Reinstall CHECK BOLT
        11. DO NOT ADD ANY MORE FLUID!!!!!
    • I have never used a full 4 quarts when doing a standard drain and fill
      • Typically 3.25 quarts go in initially and it starts to come out the check hole
      • Then the second, hot fill gets about 0.5 quarts more before coming out of the check hole
      • DO NOT GO BY HOW MUCH YOU PUT IN! USE THE CHECK HOLE TO TELL YOU! THE CORRECT LEVEL IS GIVEN BY THE CHECK HOLE!
    • I used 4.75 quarts when I removed the pan and replaced the filters.
  2. You do not LOOK in the check hole, you let the fluid seep out of it. This is how you set the proper level.
    • Why tf would you want to collect oil that has been dirtied and dump it back into the CVT to then overfill the CVT? The check hole prevents you from overfilling, then you want to add more fluid?
  3. "I currently only have 5 quarts of cvt fluid is it ok to be under or over a quart at most?"
    • NEVER ALLOW THE CVT TO RUN MORE OR LESS THAN WHAT THE CHECK HOLE TELLS YOU. SEE ABOVE. YOU WILL KILL YOUR CVT! THESE THINGS ARE TOUCHY.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

Bigboss

First Name
King
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic sport hatchback cvt
Country flag
Don't think I'm insulting you when I say you do not understand the process for refilling the CVT fluid. You need to read the service manual, not anyone else's "what I do...". Anything I have posted has been specifically from the Service Manual, with no changes. I may add clarity, but there have been no deviations from the Service Manual. I have attached step-by-step instructions from the Service Manual. These do not include anything for replacing the filters, but I posted those earlier in this thread.

1. There is no specific quantity of fluid that you pour in during a routine change, nor when you change the filters.
    • There is a two step process for filling. An initial fill and then a hot fill.
      • This is all explained in the service manual, and I suggest you study it BEFORE doing the work.
        1. Set the car LEVEL, not on a hill, incline, etc. LEVEL
        2. Remove the CHECK BOLT
        3. Pour fluid into the FILL HOLE until fluid comes out of the CHECK BOLT HOLE
        4. Reinstall CHECK BOLT
        5. Warm vehicle at IDLE until the coolant fan turns on twice
        6. With the brake pedal pushed and held all the way down, run the gear selector through every gear selection for a minimum of 3 seconds each: from P to L and then again in reverse order from L to P.
        7. Shut off the vehicle.
        8. Remove the CHECK BOLT
        9. Pour fluid into the FILL HOLE until fluid comes out of the CHECK BOLT HOLE
        10. Reinstall CHECK BOLT
        11. DO NOT ADD ANY MORE FLUID!!!!!
    • I have never used a full 4 quarts when doing a standard drain and fill
      • Typically 3.25 quarts go in initially and it starts to come out the check hole
      • Then the second, hot fill gets about 0.5 quarts more before coming out of the check hole
      • DO NOT GO BY HOW MUCH YOU PUT IN! USE THE CHECK HOLE TO TELL YOU! THE CORRECT LEVEL IS GIVEN BY THE CHECK HOLE!
    • I used 4.75 quarts when I removed the pan and replaced the filters.
  2. You do not LOOK in the check hole, you let the fluid seep out of it. This is how you set the proper level.
    • Why tf would you want to collect oil that has been dirtied and dump it back into the CVT to then overfill the CVT? The check hole prevents you from overfilling, then you want to add more fluid?
  3. "I currently only have 5 quarts of cvt fluid is it ok to be under or over a quart at most?"
    • NEVER ALLOW THE CVT TO RUN MORE OR LESS THAN WHAT THE CHECK HOLE TELLS YOU. SEE ABOVE. YOU WILL KILL YOUR CVT! THESE THINGS ARE TOUCHY.
Thanks lloyd definitely some useful info I was looking for by your “by the book style“ experience I will be following as well