Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So my turbo has started making a higher pitched noise upon spooling than it normally does. A quick search tells me it might sound like a dentist drill, which it kinda does and kinda doesn't. (Video attached).

I just had it in for service and they didn't say anything but i guess they weren't looking for turbo failure.

Will i need a full turbo replacement or could it just be a part of the turbo?

I really need the car but i also don't want to blow it up. Should i stop driving it?

Any help is appreciated, though i know trying to diagnose this through a screen is virtually impossible.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dktyson

dktyson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Okay well i have made an appointment at the dealership where i purchased the car. Hoping this has to do with the fuel/oil dilution recall (but assuming it's not).

My question is: if i need to replace the turbo, can i drop in an SI turbo and not need a tune??

Is anyone selling a turbo before I gouge myself of $1700?

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
You can go with vargas gc or gc+ they are 1250$ ... they are good option

For sure you need a tune and those turbo need to be on 0w-40 and this oil is much better in my experience!

The biger turbo make it more easy on rod at low rpm and I didn't see any difference vs the stock turbo si spool. The ots tune in 6 month only saw like 3 times 0.51 knock and other time always on 0.49 on 94 oct. Also I did some lapping with it and the knock was not moving and the spool at 4k rpm is crazy.

maybe ur missing some pin like me.. started to have some wine noise last summer and changed for a gc+
This is a 180k km turbo tuned for like 4-5 years

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Failure? High-Pitched Noise 20231006_180209

Honda Civic 10th gen Turbo Failure? High-Pitched Noise 20231006_180028

Last edited:
OP
OP
dktyson

dktyson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You can go with vargas gc or gc+ they are 1250$ ... they are good option

For sure you need a tune and those turbo need to be on 0w-40 and this oil is much better in my experience!

The biger turbo make it more easy on rod at low rpm and I didn't see any difference vs the stock turbo si spool. The ots tune in 6 month only saw like 3 times 0.51 knock and other time always on 0.49 on 94 oct. Also I did some lapping with it and the knock was not moving and the spool at 4k rpm is crazy.

maybe ur missing some pin like me.. started to have some wine noise last summer and changed for a gc+
This is a 180k km turbo tuned for like 4-5 years

20231006_180209.jpg

20231006_180028.jpg
Oof yeah that turbo looks like it's seen some things lol.

I checked out the VTT website - looks like they only are for SI? I have a Hatch Sport.

I'll try emailing them to see if i can still use it in my car because i'd rather upgrade than get oem since it's virtually the same price.

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Oof yeah that turbo looks like it's seen some things lol.

I checked out the VTT website - looks like they only are for SI? I have a Hatch Sport.

I'll try emailing them to see if i can still use it in my car because i'd rather upgrade than get oem since it's virtually the same price.
Phearable have a ots tune for the si only with the GC+ , I know some here got the gc on their hatch and they have custom tune. I think you can get the gc with a custum tune it's almost the same price vs gc+ and the ots tune 250$ from the Si. I think you can pm John at phearablehe might already tune some hatch with the gc or gc+.

OP
OP
dktyson

dktyson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
After having my car for 2 days, my local dealership has diagnosed the issue as the "intake having a hole and sucking in too much air. Also the radiator has a hole." So about $1500 anyway.

No new turbo needed - they said it's still healthy.

I'll be tuning it as soon as I get it back!

Thanks everyone for your support. Guess I could've just looked myself but was worried about the turbo.

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
I imagine you beat her often? Lots of track or normal use with a few pulls from time to time?
That was most of daily in 5 years..on tsp 1 and 1+ map 3 always like 4 years... babying it most of time except when stupid people in my ass lol. Last year did like 5 times night lapping. For sure I do WOT when I take it but never under 176f on cooling temperature.

180k kilo to

I know when I installed my downpipe at like 80-90k kilo the turbo already got a small crack but, at 180k it's was bigger.

Last edited:

cryptolime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Si
Country flag
what would cause that damage? it's like debris went through the turbo and chewed up the fins. also, the crack....overheating?

OP
OP
dktyson

dktyson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Okay final update here: they replaced the Intercooler and after about 2 weeks, the car is still running well. Maybe I'll throw a tune on it finally idk.

Zedaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like you already found the issue. However, just wanted to post my experience when I had a failing w1 turbo. It sounded more like R2-D2 from Star Wars screaming when it gets shot. Your video sounded more like a vacuum or boost leak which seems like that is what it turned out to be. I'll see if I can find an old video I recorded when my turbo was failing.

Zedaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Found it. Had to go back in my album a few years. It’s not quite as loud as it was in person but it’s a pretty unique sound.

OP
OP
dktyson

dktyson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Found it. Had to go back in my album a few years. It’s not quite as loud as it was in person but it’s a pretty unique sound.
That is certainly a unique sound! I was led to immediately believe failure because of what i found online.

I'm thankful that it was just a boost leak.

Though it would have been cool to upgrade toa w1 or w2.