First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
94 integra GSR, 93 Civic Hatch,
Country flag
  • Banned
So what's everyone doing this weekend? Getting quotes for the new subframes for your cars today. Should be relatively good and decently priced. If I am able to get a decent turn around time

OP
OP
Awdfk8machinist

Awdfk8machinist

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Banned
I'm gonna watch this. I could only imagine how awesome the car would launch but I can imagine the handling might suffer due to the car being designed as FWD.
Proper suspension configuration should be help maintain performance. Will need to increase boost and tune the engine properly to create better performance but the suspension geometry doesnt change so The performance will not be effected too much. Track width and wheel base are not affected.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
So are you doing electric motors for the rear or what is the approach?

OP
OP
Awdfk8machinist

Awdfk8machinist

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Banned

Redwing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si coupe
Country flag
"Been working on a few modeling tasks for the 10th Gen Civic. One of which was a rear knuckle for the AWD revision of the rear knuckles. After carefully scanning all of these parts turns out there is no need to make a new rear knuckle. Just open the diameter slightly to allow the use of a new Honda bearing to take the place of the old one. So with that figured out it allows me to cost effectively place a new bearing into the OEM Knuckle for the conversion with the same height, and spacing to use the OEM Rotor, Caliper, and hardware for installation of the AWD System we have developed. An easy task to take on for any of you who want to undertake the magnitude of this build."
I am very interested in how all this is going to unfold. Something I am curious about though, is where the springs and shocks are going to be placed for the rear. Do the OEM locations have clearance for the axles/rods? Will we need custom suspension (I.E. sizes of springs and shocks) and balancing?

...how much would you estimate this will add in weight?... <-- optional question

Redwing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic si coupe
Country flag
OP
OP
Awdfk8machinist

Awdfk8machinist

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am very interested in how all this is going to unfold. Something I am curious about though, is where the springs and shocks are going to be placed for the rear. Do the OEM locations have clearance for the axles/rods? Will we need custom suspension (I.E. sizes of springs and shocks) and balancing?

...how much would you estimate this will add in weight?... <-- optional question
Yes OEM has plenty if clearance and the axles we are using to set this all up are 23" seal to seal. No real changes are required other than switching subframes and changing the wheel hub/bearing to the new one. Hub and bearing combo allow the use of oem rotor and caliper with 0 changes to geometry. Just adding parts. Gas tank will need to be removed also. But I am working on a replacement for it. Vacuumed formed sealed tank that will fit tailor made to your car to keep the tank where it should be. Under the car.

OP
OP
Awdfk8machinist

Awdfk8machinist

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes OEM has plenty if clearance and the axles we are using to set this all up are 23" seal to seal. No real changes are required other than switching subframes and changing the wheel hub/bearing to the new one. Hub and bearing combo allow the use of oem rotor and caliper with 0 changes to geometry. Just adding parts. Gas tank will need to be removed also. But I am working on a replacement for it. Vacuumed formed sealed tank that will fit tailor made to your car to keep the tank where it should be. Under the car.
Factory subfrsme is 46lbs new one is 4340 tubular chromoly steel and is 22lbs. New hub/bearing combo weighs as much as the original equipment so no change there but the differential depending on what you use, "crv-38lbs," "wagon-47lbs" really depends on the level of performance required. 4WD vs AWD. You can lock a crv diff to 4wd with a custom driveshaft but pinion shafts are much weaker. However wagon parts are extremely expensive and hard to find. So there are tradeoffs on either side. I recommend CRV/Element differentials for reduced weight and I recommend it to use with an AWD Configuration because it limits the driveshaft cost and the need for a viscous coupler inline.

OP
OP
Awdfk8machinist

Awdfk8machinist

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I expect the fuel cell to weight in the 30lb range in its new design config

OP
OP
Awdfk8machinist

Awdfk8machinist

Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So the extent of modeling allows us to use an OEM hub with small modifications to the OEM knuckle. All OEM Honda Parts I will not speak of just yet but this allows your rear to receive power and lots of it.
Honda Civic 10th gen Traditional Suspension Modeling for AWD for the FK7 and FK8 337344384_1001052151052919_4970607821653817239_n
Honda Civic 10th gen Traditional Suspension Modeling for AWD for the FK7 and FK8 337435571_663660972231985_6593204472069216066_n