Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last year SynthCarbon released real carbon fiber shark fin antenna overlays. I bought one from the very first batch and was very happy with how they turned out.

Today I was detailing my car and had a WTF moment. What I thought was dirt or something on the antenna cover turned out to be nothing of the sort. The clearcoat was literally peeling off. I touched it and more flaked off.

Honda Civic 10th gen SynthCarbon shark fin antenna peeling after only 11 months im

Look, I know this stuff weathers over time but after only 11 months? I've had some carbon fiber on the exterior of my car for much longer and it never got to the point the clearcoat just peeled off. And I wax it regularly.

I contacted SynthCarbon on Instagram and they never responded.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
11 months.

Last edited:

Steaulo

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7
Country flag
I agree. Hit it with some 320 grit and finish with 400. 2k clearcoat should be better than whatever they used. I've seen some worse-for-wear. You should see the apr wing I'm working on :rofl:

PK1

NEVER SETTLE FOR LESS
First Name
Francisco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 Type R, 2003 DC5 RSX, 1999 Civic
Country flag
I agree. Hit it with some 320 grit and finish with 400. 2k clearcoat should be better than whatever they used. I've seen some worse-for-wear. You should see the apr wing I'm working on :rofl:

I have seen them give you a new one no questions asked if its been less than a year.

Steaulo

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7
Country flag
I have seen them give you a new one no questions asked if its been less than a year.
Picked it up used from a member.
Not sure how old it was but for sure it was used for more than a year unfortunately

Hotwater84

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 1.5L civic sport hatchback
Damn.. I just ordered one of these from them last night, thinking about canceling.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok guys, I was just in contact with @SYNTHcarbon regarding this. The guy couldn't have been nicer and he apologized for not getting back to me earlier. Everything's been resolved. :thumbsup:

SYNTHcarbon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EG Hatch, E92 M3, RSX Type S
Country flag
Damn.. I just ordered one of these from them last night, thinking about canceling.
2/300~ have had clear issues. Honda themselves has clear issues within a year on their OEM mirror caps, you can find plenty of that on here. You’ll be fine brotha 👍

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Again, to be fair to Synth here, my car is parked outside 24/7 and because of facing south the UV rays are horrible.
Sponsored