Squeaking Noise When AC on

agent_Napalm701

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Accord LX 2.4L
Country flag
Hi all,

I'm shopping around for a used 10th gen Civic. I found '17 EX-T Manual Coupe that looks like its in good condition for a good price, although the one issue I can find is that there appears to be an odd noise in the cabin whenever the AC compressor is turned on. The noise happens regardless of whether I was idling or moving, whether the engine was cold or warmed up, and it was about 45°F outside when I was looking over the car. The AC does function and blows cold air. (Noise starts around 0:06)

• It almost sounds like the serpentine belt squeaking when the compressor is on, however when I open the hood and stick my ear down to the front of the car on the passenger side where the compressor is, I hear nothing. So as far as I can tell the noise isn't the belt or the compressor bearing or whatever.
  • I'm pretty sure it is coming from somewhere down inside the dash, maybe on the passenger side?
  • The noise is fairly intermittent and cuts in and out whilst the AC is switched on.

AC is the most crucial "feature" in a car to me and if this car's is about to stop working then I want no part of paying to have it fixed. I'm aware that the 10th gen Civic has AC condenser issues and that the warranty was extended to cover condenser replacement, but if this isn't an issue with the condenser at all then of course it is not covered.

Has anyone else encountered this noise, and if so, what does it mean? Is it a normal noise that does not indicate anything bad, or is the AC system about to have a problem working in the near future?
Sponsored

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
I can't hear it well enough to judge. However... if the noise qualifies as a 'whistling' noise; then that is one of the oft-described symptoms of a system that is low on refrigerant. I believe the whistling comes first; then comes a difference in temp between the driver's and passenger sides. Ultimately... it just stops blowing cool air.

Maybe the seller had it 'topped off' before placing it for sale.

It makes me wonder if the (presumably) leaking condenser was damaged by road debris; then denied by Honda. Otherwise... why not have it repaired for free?

Anyhoo... I'm not an expert on any of this. But I hope that I have provided some keywords to search for and maybe help you decide.

Good luck.

claysprayberry

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T Coupe
Country flag
Hi! Jumping in late here- did you ever figure out the problem? My 16’ civic I’ve had for years is making this exact noise under the same circumstances.

Xernive

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Hatchback EX-L
Country flag
Hi! Jumping in late here- did you ever figure out the problem? My 16’ civic I’ve had for years is making this exact noise under the same circumstances.
Same here, similar noise that I just started noticing. Did you figure it out?

Xernive

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Same here, similar noise that I just started noticing. Did you figure it out?
Anyone ever find a answer lol.. Its driving me crazy 😂

crownjewels

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX
Country flag
Anyone ever find a answer lol.. Its driving me crazy 😂
This is exactly the noise my 2016 LX made and then June of 2017, the AC stopped working. Dealer replaced it under warranty.

My current 2019 EX makes the same exact noice when the A/C is on so that's going to be something to look forward to.

Xernive

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
This is exactly the noise my 2016 LX made and then June of 2017, the AC stopped working. Dealer replaced it under warranty.

My current 2019 EX makes the same exact noice when the A/C is on so that's going to be something to look forward to.
I'm going to do some looking around to see if its a compressor or just something flapping around lol but just replaced cabin filter after 25K miles later and it was filthy so that probably didn't help.. 😅

Honda Civic 10th gen Squeaking Noise When AC on 20231223_121040

21sonicivic

First Name
Jesus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 sport civic hatchback
Country flag
I’ve gotten my ac compressor replaced under warranty recently as well and It still squeals when using the ac or heater (21 sport hatch) will update if I take it to dealership regarding whistling noise

Civicturboed

First Name
Yussuf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatch Sport 2019
Country flag
@21sonicivic any updates? i’m thinking about going through the process of doing the warranty but the diagnostic fee is $189… any advice? My AC is creaking but it still blows cold.

Taki_38

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
My AC pump was replaced a few months ago :(
I still have the same noise than
agent_Napalm70 and we can hear the AC pump a little grinding.

It is normal or can it be better ?
Sponsored