D.AucoinFK7

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Car fired a p0087 the day it put a rod through the block. Assumed that it was a result of something else when the engine let go. Replaced engine with a low km unit (47k engine) out of a touring sedan.
Engine started after a long crank and idles. Idle drops after warming up like normal. Car is repeatedly getting a p0087.

injectors, fuel rail, and intake manifold all came with the engine. I did have to use the hpfp off of my old engine. After getting the code on the first start, I replaced the oem in tank pump with a dw300c. Pump primes and car starts, but I still have a longish crank and a p0087 code that returns at idle.
Hondata is showing a crazy low fuel pressure at idle (4.8kPa).
Any ideas before I replace the hpfp?
Sponsored

OP
OP
D.AucoinFK7

D.AucoinFK7

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sounds like youā€™re on the right track, hpfp would be next to replace.
Going to get one from a wreckers Monday hopefully. Donā€™t want to order new until I decide whether Im going to upgrade the fuel system or not.

OP
OP
D.AucoinFK7

D.AucoinFK7

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update: reflashed the car. It ran like shit for a few then fired the code and went into limp mode again. Checked the data logging screen on hondata and it says the fuel pressure is high when the car is off in acc mode, but while running it drops to 78psi while the ecu is commanding 29. Not sure if thereā€™s a sensor problem or if itā€™s the hpfp now.
Honda Civic 10th gen P0087 Low Fuel Rail Pressure updated w/ Pictures C1B2869C-2AC1-4A29-B588-1F0149E0E6F8
Honda Civic 10th gen P0087 Low Fuel Rail Pressure updated w/ Pictures 310C1CF6-14E9-4A60-B8CE-147A435F03C1

OP
OP
D.AucoinFK7

D.AucoinFK7

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You brought over your HPFP from your previous engine that had the issue, so I would try that next. If it isn't that then it could be your PCM/ECU.
I canā€™t see it being a pcm/ecm issue. Just for shits I pulled the hpfp out so see I could find anything physically wrong with it. Didnā€™t seem to be any clear problems. I wanted to rule out the sensor on the rail being the issue, so I put it back together and changed the sensor. Exact same psi, with an immediate drop after starting it. Iā€™ll update tomorrow if I have time to pick up a pump and install it.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Just some generic info on the possible causes for that code:

Fuel Filter issues

A crimp or restriction in the fuel supply line

A bad or failing fuel pump or fuel pump control module

Electrical problem with the low pressure fuel pump

Electrical problem with the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

Electrical problem with the High Pressure Pump Solenoid.

A broken or worn high pressure pump

Camshaft timing or camshaft lobe wear on the pump drive

OP
OP
D.AucoinFK7

D.AucoinFK7

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just some generic info on the possible causes for that code:

Fuel Filter issues

A crimp or restriction in the fuel supply line

A bad or failing fuel pump or fuel pump control module

Electrical problem with the low pressure fuel pump

Electrical problem with the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor

Electrical problem with the High Pressure Pump Solenoid.

A broken or worn high pressure pump

Camshaft timing or camshaft lobe wear on the pump drive
Appreciate all the info! Any ideas on how I could check some of those things?
The in tank pump primes and holds 40ish psi at idle. The lines are all good. I was able to prime the system a few times and the rail pressure in acc mode went over 100psi. The only time thereā€™s an issue is when the car is running. Iā€™m assuming thereā€™s not that much can wear at only 40-50ish km on the engine. I did have a knock sensor get blown apart when the prev engine let go. I spliced the wires back together. Theyā€™re close on the harness, is there any chance a wiring issue there could be causing an issue with the sensor??

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Could it be a wiring issue? Potentially, sure yeah. These trouble codes aren't always easy to pinpoint.

OP
OP
D.AucoinFK7

D.AucoinFK7

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Update. It was not the high pressure pump, unless the second hand one I got has also failed. Car still shows the same info on the data log screen. Going to start poking around the wiring and see if I can find anything.

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic SI Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update. It was not the high pressure pump, unless the second hand one I got has also failed. Car still shows the same info on the data log screen. Going to start poking around the wiring and see if I can find anything.
Did you ever find the issue? I have the EXACT problem with our tuned SI running a new deathcwerks 300. Also already replaced HPFP, Oem injectors and fuel feed line. Weā€™re Losing fuel pressure and stalling at idle after running for a while.

OP
OP
D.AucoinFK7

D.AucoinFK7

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you ever find the issue? I have the EXACT problem with our tuned SI running a new deathcwerks 300. Also already replaced HPFP, Oem injectors and fuel feed line. Weā€™re Losing fuel pressure and stalling at idle after running for a while.
My mistake was a dumb one, new engine came with no high pressure fuel pump. Planned on running the high pressure pump and cam follower from my original engine because they were together since new, changed my mind and wanted to use the follower that was in the new engine and with the cam since new. Pulled the old one and went in for the night, never put one back in šŸ˜‚.

With that being said, while I was trying to diagnose it I did find out that if you pull the plug off the crank position sensor the fuel pressure sensor doesnā€™t give out any data. If you have a way to watch the fuel pressure (hondata, ktuner, scanner etc.) Iā€™d look to see what the car is making for fuel pressure. If it shows the proper psi in accessory mode and then the data freezes after start up Iā€™d look at the crank position sensor.

OP
OP
D.AucoinFK7

D.AucoinFK7

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If your fuel pressure is fine at idle, and then drops off, Iā€™d have to guess at a problem with either the filter or the in tank pump. My car would run and idle on just the in tank. If itā€™s dying after that initial prime, Iā€™d say thereā€™s something choking the system or causing it to lose pressure. Iā€™m no pro by any means, just some suggestions.
Sponsored