My first manual car... '17 Blueberry SI Coupe!!!

Unibrow Tail Lights

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Almost picked up a fully loaded '17 GTI Autobahn... Decided to take this beauty instead. I'm in the process of learning manual and let me tell you it's super frustrating but I know once I get the hang of it that it'll be worth the frustration. I'm having the most trouble going from a stop to first gear smoothly but my friend teaching me said once I learn that everything else is a breeze.

Also, was torn between picking white and blue because they're both such great colors. I decided that there was too many white cars out there and I wanted to stand out a little. :) Also read that no matter how hard you clean the white car there won't be as much reflection compared to cleaning a blue car you'll be more satisfied with the blue being super reflective when clean. Both colors look amazing on the car and you can't go wrong with both anyways.

I've ordered a front and rear red H badge and will be installing as soon as it comes in. Super Excited!!!

Honda Civic 10th gen My first manual car... '17 Blueberry SI Coupe!!! 19749530_1363069390451339_63625627_o

Honda Civic 10th gen My first manual car... '17 Blueberry SI Coupe!!! 19718467_1363069437118001_616893832_o

Last edited:

KnoxTn17Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si sedan
Country flag
Almost picked up a fully loaded '17 GTI Autobahn... Decided to take this beauty instead. I'm in the process of learning manual and let me tell you it's super frustrating but I know once I get the hang of it that it'll be worth the frustration.

Also, was torn between picking white and blue because they're both such great colors. I decided that there was too many white cars out there and I wanted to stand out a little. :) Also read that no matter how hard you clean the white car there won't be as much reflection compared to cleaning a blue car you'll be more satisfied with the blue being super reflective when clean.

19749530_1363069390451339_63625627_o.jpg

19718467_1363069437118001_616893832_o.jpg
Congratulations, good choice of color :thumbsup:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Country flag
Almost picked up a fully loaded '17 GTI Autobahn... Decided to take this beauty instead. I'm in the process of learning manual and let me tell you it's super frustrating but I know once I get the hang of it that it'll be worth the frustration. I'm having the most trouble going from a stop to first gear smoothly but my friend teaching me said once I learn that everything else is a breeze.

Also, was torn between picking white and blue because they're both such great colors. I decided that there was too many white cars out there and I wanted to stand out a little. :) Also read that no matter how hard you clean the white car there won't be as much reflection compared to cleaning a blue car you'll be more satisfied with the blue being super reflective when clean. Both colors look amazing on the car and you can't go wrong with both anyways.

I've ordered a front and rear red H badge and will be installing as soon as it comes in. Super Excited!!!

19749530_1363069390451339_63625627_o.jpg

19718467_1363069437118001_616893832_o.jpg
What was your OTD for the car?

OP
OP
Unibrow Tail Lights

Unibrow Tail Lights

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
What was your OTD for the car?
OTD was 26,510. This was with the High Performance Tires and no accessories. My dealer actually told me he gave me the wrong OTD price but he would still honor it.

JDM_DOHC_SiR

Uncle Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Acura TLX Type-S / 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
OTD was 26,510. This was with the High Performance Tires and no accessories. My dealer actually told me he gave me the wrong OTD price but he would still honor it.
So let me get this straight... you got this deal from Penske Honda ( old Fuller Honda?? ) If so happen to have the name of the sales person and a picture of the invoice of what you paid? Because these guys are complete crooks...:hmm: consider your self lucky... very lucky to get this price there!:thumbsup:

Pepper's Dad

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si 2000 Honda Civic Ex 2007 Lincoln Towncar
Country flag
So let me get this straight... you got this deal from Penske Honda ( old Fuller Honda?? ) If so happen to have the name of the sales person and a picture of the invoice of what you paid? Because these guys are complete crooks...:hmm: consider your self lucky... very lucky to get this price there!:thumbsup:
They are all "crooks"

Pur3MotioN770

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT
Country flag
Congrats. I have a 6MT Sport, and it was my first manual as well. Practically taught myself. You're right, once you learn, it's so much fun, and very engaging. I have no regrets.

Here are a couple tips that'll help you out, in regards to moving from a stop in first gear smoothly.

1. On a flat surface, just practice making the car move with no gas, by letting out the clutch as slowly as possible (I'm talking inches), until the car bites, which is when the RPMs will start to fall, and the car will start slowly rolling. Once the RPMs start dropping, and you start moving, just HOLD the clutch in place, until the RPMs have made their full descent, in which case you can completely let go of the clutch. Once you get used to finding that biting point, move onto the next step.

2. This is similar to the first step. The only difference is, you'll be adding gas FIRST. Adding gas first, will ensure you won't stall. Rev up to about 1500-2000 RPMs, and again, very, slowly release the clutch untill the car bites, and you see the hood of your car slightly raise up. At this point, HOLD the clutch position in place, till the RPM's drop completely. If you feel a slight jolt, after releasing the clutch fully, this mean you waited a little too long to fully release it. So adjust accordingly. As you go through the gears, you're virtually doing the same thing up to 6th gear. The higher the gear though, the quicker you can fully let off the clutch. It's as simple as that.

Hope this helps.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I'm in the process of learning manual and let me tell you it's super frustrating but I know once I get the hang of it that it'll be worth the frustration.

Also, was torn between picking white and blue because they're both such great colors. I decided that there was too many white cars out there and I wanted to stand out a little. :) Also read that no matter how hard you clean the white car there won't be as much reflection compared to cleaning a blue car you'll be more satisfied with the blue being super reflective when clean.
Congratulations, @Unibrow Tail Lights!

My tidbit of advice for learning a manual is to find an open, level parking lot where you can practice slowly without fear of stalling the engine, squealing the tires, bucking the vehicle, or holding up traffic. Driving a manual is one of those skills that has to be learned through experience. No amount of theory instruction alone can teach you how to drive a manual. Once it "clicks", it clicks. A few people simply aren't coordinated enough to drive a manual, but that's rare.

As far as color is concerned, white is one of the easiest colors to keep looking new the longest. It doesn't show dirt or scratches as much as dark colors. Aegean Blue is a pretty dark, rich, shiny blue - it's not quite as bad as black, but it is still very prone to showing scratches and swirl marks, so be careful. Never take it through automatic car washes. Always hand-wash using a thick mitt in a bucket with a Grit Guard. Thoroughly rinse the vehicle before and after washing. Dry using clean microfiber towels that are pre-wet and rung out. Be very careful with the glossy, black front grill - it scratches easily.

Last edited:

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
My tidbit of advice for learning a manual is to find an open, level parking lot where you can practice slowly without fear of stalling the engine, squealing the tires, bucking the vehicle, or holding up traffic. Driving a manual is one of those skills that have to be learned through experience. No amount of theory instruction alone can teach you how to drive a manual. Once it "clicks", it clicks. A few people simply aren't coordinated enough to drive a manual, but that's rare.
This is good advice, and it's exactly what I did. My first manual car was a 2001 Audi A4 1.8tq, which I bought new, never having driven stick at all. Sure, I'd read all about it, and I'd watched others, but never actually tried it myself. Fortunately my wife (then girlfriend) was well-versed in manual shifting...she'd spent years puttering around in her dad's 4-speed '82 Mercedes 240d (with something like 190,000 miles).

So, upon completing the transaction and grabbing the keys, she drove me to a giant 'corporate park'-type lot near the Audi dealership. And I proceeded to spend the next hour or so lurching, bucking, and stalling all over that lot. It was indeed frustrating at first, but it really didn't take long to get the hang of it. I wasn't remotely good at shifting after such little practice, but I became comfortable enough to drive it home from there...I think I only stalled out once on the return trip. After that, it was largely smooth sailing. I've owned only manual transmission cars since.

Totally off-topic, but that A4 was a great car...until the oil pump died, and the engine ate itself. At the time of the incident, one month remained on the 4-year factory warranty, so I didn't have to foot the $9800 (!) repair bill. But let's just say the experience instilled in me a healthy fear of VAG products from then on.

OP
OP
Unibrow Tail Lights

Unibrow Tail Lights

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Congrats. I have a 6MT Sport, and it was my first manual as well. Practically taught myself. You're right, once you learn, it's so much fun, and very engaging. I have no regrets.

Here are a couple tips that'll help you out, in regards to moving from a stop in first gear smoothly.

1. On a flat surface, just practice making the car move with no gas, by letting out the clutch as slowly as possible (I'm talking inches), until the car bites, which is when the RPMs will start to fall, and the car will start slowly rolling. Once the RPMs start dropping, and you start moving, just HOLD the clutch in place, until the RPMs have made their full descent, in which case you can completely let go of the clutch. Once you get used to finding that biting point, move onto the next step.

2. This is similar to the first step. The only difference is, you'll be adding gas FIRST. Adding gas first, will ensure you won't stall. Rev up to about 1500-2000 RPMs, and again, very, slowly release the clutch untill the car bites, and you see the hood of your car slightly raise up. At this point, HOLD the clutch position in place, till the RPM's drop completely. If you feel a slight jolt, after releasing the clutch fully, this mean you waited a little too long to fully release it. So adjust accordingly. As you go through the gears, you're virtually doing the same thing up to 6th gear. The higher the gear though, the quicker you can fully let off the clutch. It's as simple as that.

Hope this helps.
Thanks! This helped a lot I actually followed this technique and kept it in my head while my friend was teaching me at the same time. My friend said the clutch is super light and the throws a short and precise. He loves it. I can't wait to be able to row through the gears on an open road, I bet you're having fun with your 6MT Sport

OP
OP
Unibrow Tail Lights

Unibrow Tail Lights

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Congratulations, @Unibrow Tail Lights!

My tidbit of advice for learning a manual is to find an open, level parking lot where you can practice slowly without fear of stalling the engine, squealing the tires, bucking the vehicle, or holding up traffic. Driving a manual is one of those skills that has to be learned through experience. No amount of theory instruction alone can teach you how to drive a manual. Once it "clicks", it clicks. A few people simply aren't coordinated enough to drive a manual, but that's rare.

As far as color is concerned, white is one of the easiest colors to keep looking new the longest. It doesn't show dirt or scratches as much as dark colors. Aegean Blue is a pretty dark, rich, shiny blue - it's not quite as bad as black, but it is still very prone to showing scratches and swirl marks, so be careful. Never take it through automatic car washes. Always hand-wash using a thick mitt in a bucket with a Grit Guard. Thoroughly rinse the vehicle before and after washing. Dry using clean microfiber towels that are pre-wet and rung out. Be very careful with the glossy, black front grill - it scratches easily.
You're right once it "clicks", it clicks! This happened to me today while I was learning how to drive the beast. I finally realized the bite point and applying gas. It's so fun. I practiced in the parking lot all day then got out into the main roads when I was comfortable. It was a little wonky at first but now I'm feeling vast improvement. I've been driving another car while I gain more experience on the SI. I realized the only way I'm really going to learn how to drive my own car is by... driving it. I think a couple more days then I can transition into my SI easily. I'm lucky enough to have another car to use while I'm learning stick.

I am still thinking about white and if I should have went with it instead. I'm going to baby this car when I wash it and find parking spots that are AWAY from those razor sharp door edges. I've been getting into Auto Detailing lately and have started using a two bucket wash technique with a Grit Guard. ChrisFix has an amazing super car wash video and I have been following that. Thanks for the heads up on the black front grill, I will be extra careful with that piece.

By the way, I always see your name pop up in threads and just wanted to thank you for provided such detailed, informative responses. I used to lurk through the forums when I was in the researching phase and I would always look forward to seeing your replies. Thanks for that!

OP
OP
Unibrow Tail Lights

Unibrow Tail Lights

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Curious, why did you pass up the Autobahn GTI?
I just didn't trust the VW reliability. I read here and there about how reliable they are now and at the same time other horror stories. I didn't want to take a chance or spend extra money on an extended warranty so the obvious safe pick was with one of the most reliable brands in the market, Honda. This is what got me too was what I read in a forum, "Lease a German car, Buy a Honda."

OP
OP
Unibrow Tail Lights

Unibrow Tail Lights

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Where did you order the red badges from?
ISBM Motor Sports. I found them through a thread here in the Cosmetic section. I called and they said that their rear emblem is currently back ordered but will be shipped in hopefully two weeks. I don't mind waiting a little bit for those badges but it would be nice to get them sooner :)
Sponsored