My Civic Touring tried to lock me out of my car

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
So I popped open my trunk to grab something and closed it.

I noticed that my front and rear blinker lights stayed on (not blinking, but on).

It didn't go off after 5 minutes. I tried pressing every button on my key fob repeatedly. I also tried pressing the door handle and door lock button. No response from the car. The blinker lights stayed on.

My last resort. I used the real key to open the door and the alarm went off (horns) and finally the car acted normal again.

Anyone know what gives? This is disheartening.
Sponsored

ktbanh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2016 EX-T Sedan
Hiya, I'm new here as well and recently bought my civic.

I encountered the same exact issue. Went to buy some groceries, placed them in the trunk. A random guy came up to give me flyers. Went and attempted to open car door. It was locked. I tried to press the unlock button on the handle no response. I took out the keys, no response on the remote. Notice my car in the back was orange. The entire car was locked, nothing was responsive. I had to use the physical key and everything went back to normal.

This is on an EX-T two weeks into purchase among other issues i'll post a separate thread on...

dick w

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Sedan Touring, '18 CR-V Touring AWD
Country flag
If either of you think you can duplicate the scenario and re-create the issue, go demonstrate it to the dealer and then can call it in to the Tech Line. Might be a software fault in the body control code. But the dealer will have to see it before there is any hope of getting it solved.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Exact same thing happened to me back in December. Because it hasn't happened since, demonstrating it to the dealer would be next to impossible. Chalking it up to one of those things ...

OP
OP

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
maybe i'll try to replicate it sometime soon (e.g. pop the trunk 10 times in a row)

BaltOsFan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
This happened to me for the second time yesterday, the first time only being a month ago. My key fob was in my pocket, went to put something in my trunk, opened it up put my bag in, closed it, started to go toward the driver's door, nothing worked. The 4 orange/yellow lights were all on, no buttons worked on the fob, the physical key didn't work, but fortunately the alarm wasn't going off. The only difference was that last time after about 45 minutes, the lights went off and my key fob worked. This time, well, it's up to about 14 hours since it happened and still can't get in.

Anyone find a solution or get Honda to admit there's a problem? It seems like this is happening to mostly 2016 models.

BaltOsFan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
The key turns left and right, but isn't catching anything. Like there doesn't feel like there's any resistance when you turn as you might imagine feeling as the teeth catch the tumblers.
I just had a locksmith come and he said that it felt like the lock was sticking somewhere between locked and unlocked. He was there at most 30 seconds. So frustrating when the fix is that quick.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The key turns left and right, but isn't catching anything. Like there doesn't feel like there's any resistance when you turn as you might imagine feeling as the teeth catch the tumblers.
I just had a locksmith come and he said that it felt like the lock was sticking somewhere between locked and unlocked. He was there at most 30 seconds. So frustrating when the fix is that quick.
Interesting, that almost sounds like a different (albeit related) issue. I’ve been locked out 4 or 5 times, but the physical key has worked each time.

BaltOsFan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic
Country flag
Interesting, that almost sounds like a different (albeit related) issue. I’ve been locked out 4 or 5 times, but the physical key has worked each time.
I'm thinking maybe they're related but my lock might be getting caught in a different place than yours. Like yours might not be unlocked as much as mine and therefor the teeth on your key still have something to grab onto, but mine is opened up farther than that when it gets jammed rendering it useless as the key has nothing to grab onto.
Just a thought, I have no clue. All I know is that my physical key has done crap either time.

GermanCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic X Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow that's wild. Is your car doing the same thing as OPs car then?

I noticed that my front and rear blinker lights stayed on (not blinking, but on).

It didn't go off after 5 minutes. I tried pressing every button on my key fob repeatedly. I also tried pressing the door handle and door lock button. No response from the car. The blinker lights stayed on.

My last resort. I used the real key to open the door and the alarm went off (horns) and finally the car acted normal again.

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Wow that's wild. Is your car doing the same thing as OPs car then?
Yes. It’s a known issue on the forum, but ridiculously hard to reproduce. The only time it happens is when I open the trunk and then close it again while the car is locked. So, I don’t do that anymore. Lol.
Sponsored