rikuhj

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
So i left my car in a convention for a three day show. I pulled the battery connection and locked it. Now, the physical key wont open the lock. Is there any solution, am i effed?
Sponsored

logan5

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The physical key in the fob should open the car no matter what. It's mechanical.

OP
OP

rikuhj

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
The physical key in the fob should open the car no matter what. It's mechanical.
I dont know why it wont open though, its a 2021 sport hatch. I tried everything, but nothing. Is it because i took out the positive terminal before the negative? Hmm

KensBlueGenX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 1.5l MT HB Sport
Country flag
You are saying that if you take the 'old fashion' key out of the centre of the fob, insert it into the driver side door handle and turn it, it doesn't unlock the door?

If so, that's really weird because that unlock is strictly via a manual pull rod. Just like in a 1962 Chevrolet.

Regardless, this is a good reminder to all of us to actually check ours too!

OP
OP

rikuhj

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
I might
You are saying that if you take the 'old fashion' key out of the centre of the fob, insert it into the driver side door handle and turn it, it doesn't unlock the door?

If so, that's really weird because that unlock is strictly via a manual pull rod. Just like in a 1962 Chevrolet.

Regardless, this is a good reminder to all of us to actually check ours too!
Yeah it doesnt unlock, im like sol, but i have to call a locksmith for that. Ill double check again later if anything

OP
OP

rikuhj

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Nope,
Try holding the handle pulled out when you turn the key
Nope, doesnt work. I already called for the locksmith so I guess the lock has to be fished

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Sedan NA 2.0 L CVT
Country flag
It's not mechanical, it's electric unfortunately.

I timestamped the video so you can physically see, it's electronic. Here's how you get in the hood of your car if your battery is dead to reconnect the terminal:

Last edited:

Zedaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Had this happen to me recently too and I ended up having to call a locksmith to get me in. Mechanical key wouldn't work on the door (Mine is a 2018 Hatch Sport so it also uses the physical key to start the car as well).

However, I think mine is mechanical and might be broken because even with power restored my key still won't work on the door so I'll have to investigate why.

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Sedan NA 2.0 L CVT
Country flag
Had this happen to me recently too and I ended up having to call a locksmith to get me in. Mechanical key wouldn't work on the door (Mine is a 2018 Hatch Sport so it also uses the physical key to start the car as well).

However, I think mine is mechanical and might be broken because even with power restored my key still won't work on the door so I'll have to investigate why.
Check to see if your door lock fuse has blown.
Honda Civic 10th gen Locked out in my car 1712428090722-9a

Zedaine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Check to see if your door lock fuse has blown.
1712428090722-9a.png
Fixed it the other day. The mechanical plastic rod from the lock cylinder wasn’t put in correctly. Just took it out, cleaned it a bit and put it back in correctly and now my car door locks and unlocks with the key.

OP
OP

rikuhj

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Sport
Country flag
Are you sure it was your car that you tried to unlock?
It was, i mean if it was the other civic type r that i opened then ill be damned thats a huge upgrade

Civic_2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic
Wanted to share my experience with physical key not working (dead battery twice in 2 months, tried to get into car with fob and physical key). Turns out that the driver door lock actuator was disconnected from the lock cylinder. Not sure why that happened (2018 Honda Civic). And the battery was being drained since the anti theft system was remaining on because it was unable to verity that the driver door lock position. This may be a common problem with Hondas since I have read other similar issues with dead batteries or physical key not working.
Sponsored