Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Well, with CAPTS saying that their sedans have the weaker rods and Arnoldo from Asia saying their L15B7 based hatches have the thinner rods as well, I wonder...

Years ago Derek said only the Si's had the better rods. Then Eman said the hatches have the weaker rods and all others use the same rods as the Si. I wish Eman was a member here and could comment or even if we could hear from Derek again. Things actually seem very unclear at this point.

Or is their really no definitive answer and the rod used varies from engine plant to engine plant?

Last edited:

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
And the worldwide confusion from Honda continues.

Maybe they build engines "potluck" style. ;)
Might also be sourcing or pricing related consideration. Only Honda knows. ?

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Well, with CAPTS saying that their sedans have the weaker rods and Arnoldo from Asia saying their L15B7 based hatches have the thinner rods as well, I wonder...

Years ago Derek said only the Si's had the better rods. Then Eman said the hatches have the weaker rods and all others use the same rods as the Si. I wish Eman was a member here and could comment or even if we could hear from Derek again. Things actually seem very unclear at this point.

Or is their really no definitive answer and the rod used varies from engine plant to engine plant?
AFAIK the "stronger" rods applies to those engines with higher power/boost output such as the Si/CRV/Accord.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
AFAIK the "stronger" rods applies to those engines with higher power/boost output such as the Si/CRV/Accord.
The only thing is that in the US, "Eman" is well known (and legit) and has torn apart many 10th gen engines and says the non-Si sedans and coupes use the Si rods as well. And that all hatchbacks have the weaker, thinner rods.

I only started this thread today because I saw a few sites online that said the L15BA motor had the weaker rods, but that that particular engine was only in the Sport and Sport Touring hatches. As it turned out, all the hatches in North America are L15BA. That was my bad and I apologized for posting incorrect info.

But now with you saying the sedans have the weaker rods and Arnoldo saying the L15B7 in his hatch definitely had the weaker rods, I'm thoroughly confused.

Last edited:

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The only thing is that in the US, "Eman" is well known (and legit) and has torn apart many 10th gen engines and says the non-Si sedans and coupes use the Si rods as well. And that all hatchbacks have the weaker, thinner rods.

I only started this thread today because I saw a few sites online that said the L15BA motor had the weaker rods, but that that particular engine was only in the Sport and Sport Touring hatches. As it turned out, all the hatches in North America are L15BA. That was my bad and I apologized for posting incorrect info.

But now with you saying the sedans have the weaker rods and Arnoldo saying the L15B7 in his hatch definitely had the weaker rods, I'm thoroughly confused.
1 of the main reason that i can think of is likely due to different regions with different specs or requirements.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
1 of the main reason that i can think of is likely due to different regions with different specs or requirements.
Maybe that's it. Eman is US based and I'm sure his info is accurate for the Swindon built hatches and North American coupes and sedans. With you and Arnoldo being in a different region of the world, I guess certain specs and some components are different.

Last edited:

Edd

First Name
Edd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic EX sedan
Country flag
FWIW...
Found this on the CR-V forums...
From a large listing of Honda's current engines...

L15B7 VTC Engine in Honda Civic (10th Generation)
  • Found in:
    • 2016–2021 Honda Civic turbo
    • 2017–2021 Honda Civic Si
    • 2019–2021 Honda Vezel (Japan/China)
    • 2020– Honda XR-V (China)
    • L15BA VTC Turbo
      • Similar to the L15B7, slightly thinner connecting rods
    • Found in:
        • 2016– Honda Civic Hatchback (North American/Europe) (Sport and Sport Touring trim only)
https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/2019-crv-same-engine-as-civic.223793/

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yep that's one of those online sites where I found the info on the L15BA that stated it was Sport and Sport Touring trim only. I think it's pretty clear that those motors have weaker rods but according to members here, all Euro and N. American hatches have L15BA engines not just those two models.

Like I said there seems to be a lot of varying info on this subject online. One of the posters on the CRV board summed up the confusion very well ...

"There are more than half a dozen variants of the 1.5T in production. They are all similar, but depending on the intended performance tune and vehicle they will be fitted in... they DO use some different parts internally".

Last edited:

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't think honda intentionally used stronger rods in some of the base engines.Its more of " use whats available " to reduce cost at some point.
It mostly depends on where the engine is made .(what factory)

There's also the L15BB engine that's used in the sedans in Europe but those seem to have the weak rods.However nobody actually confirmed this.

Are all us 10thgens Hatches made in swindon and sedan/coupe in the usa?
European sedans are made in turkey.

The usa needed to make the SI rods ,so they had plenty of those rods .
All other factory's in the world would use the weaker rods because they have no use for the SI rods.

BTW ... According to the online parts catalog the 2021 civic EX-T 4door uses the 5PA rods now...

Last edited:

dt17

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback turbo 2017
Country flag
I can confirm L15B7 hatchback in Asia uses the weaker rod.
Can you check this information without tearing down the engine?

xRiCeBoYx

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can you check this information without tearing down the engine?
I was thinking about this too. Pulling a spark plug and using a boroscope to see what's embossed on the top of the piston would be one way. I'm considering doing that the next time I'm waiting for my oil to drain

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was thinking about this too. Pulling a spark plug and using a boroscope to see what's embossed on the top of the piston would be one way. I'm considering doing that the next time I'm waiting for my oil to drain
Wouldn't the piston be different between models?
Better to check true the oil pan and look for the 5PA casting mark on the big end of the Rod.

CAPTS

First Name
TY
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
10th Gen CivicX CVT->MT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Wouldn't the piston be different between models?
Better to check true the oil pan and look for the 5PA casting mark on the big end of the Rod.
the "better" piston comes with the "better" rods & yes it should be 1 of the easiest way to chk the rods.

dem2757

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7
Country flag
IIRC all NA turbo civics, besides hatchbacks, use the si rod due to supply chain. The engines for si and regular US are made in North America, while the hatchback and other markets engines were manufactured in Thailand. Hence why US models have a stronger rod, where all the other engines use the originally specd rod for the L15BA.

The rod is perfectly fine for factory power levels, only when you turn up the wick do you find the engineered limitations of the standard rod.
Sponsored