K20C1 Camshaft Testing - Unlocking the RPM, sound, and power we all love in a Honda Racing Engine

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
how are the TR2 camshafts on the OEM valve train? Are they harsh on them? Does the OEM valve train hold up well with them? Or it'll vastly accelerate the wear and OEM will need replaced after X miles? Just curious.
The spring can handle the cam. That was the whole point in the design. It isn't that the cam is a ton larger....its a little larger and we open and close the valve faster. Now...if you overspin the motor that is a different thing. It will float just like it will with a stock cam.
Sponsored

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I will say this....the VTEC crossover pop from these TR3 cams warms my Honda heart :cool:

Oh yeah...I guess they preform well too 💪
Hell yeah nice job. I saw you guys had a decent day on track.

Solis#1730

ScarFace#1730
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic hatchback
Country flag
The spring can handle the cam. That was the whole point in the design. It isn't that the cam is a ton larger....its a little larger and we open and close the valve faster. Now...if you overspin the motor that is a different thing. It will float just like it will with a stock cam.
@4piston What RPM would you consider is over spinning the motor on the oem valvetrain?

Last edited:

cvmomo1CTR

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR , 2018 Civic Sport , 06' E46 325ci , 12’ Ducati 848EVO
Country flag
Hey Luke,

Did you ever end up getting a chance to get a picture of that clutch stopper setup you have on the TypeR for the twin disc??

Also wondering did you end up doing the clutch switch delete mod to not have to press the clutch in to start the car?

cvmomo1CTR

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR , 2018 Civic Sport , 06' E46 325ci , 12’ Ducati 848EVO
Country flag
@4piston What RPM would you consider is over spinning the motor on the oem valvetrain?
from personal experience I wouldn’t go past 7200rpm with stock valvetrain.

7800rpm on stock valvetrain and it did not like it with a Stage2 Mhi , long story short the valve floated and cyl2 went bye bye

ctrsg

First Name
CTR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
Is the hondata hpfp a limitation if want to go 8000rpm with tr3 and valve springs etc installed?

seselectronics

CivicX Basic Sponsor
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.seselectronicssolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
Civic type R
Country flag
Can you elaborate on the port injection system? Fuel or meth?

I'm guessing meth since it's running hondata and right below it, I lists 100% DI fuel system. Thanks.
Hello 👋, that car is running my port injection setup , the system use for now the radium por injection plate , that one in the post using ID1050xds injectors , other electronics components and a standalone ECU for control the system . That car has all direct injection stock( no fuel line modification, stock injectors , stock high pressure fuel pump ) tye fuel used is pump E85 , I think was running E77 that day if I remember , no meth injection , no race fuel or additives , just pump gas . I remember that was one of the few customer that has told me to stop at the Dyno because he did not want more power 😂. All these cars running TR3 cams really hasn’t show the full potential , TR3 with the right turbo and this port injection fuel system makes great power at top end .

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Hello 👋, that car is running my port injection setup , the system use for now the radium por injection plate , that one in the post using ID1050xds injectors , other electronics components and a standalone ECU for control the system . That car has all direct injection stock( no fuel line modification, stock injectors , stock high pressure fuel pump ) tye fuel used is pump E85 , I think was running E77 that day if I remember , no meth injection , no race fuel or additives , just pump gas . I remember that was one of the few customer that has told me to stop at the Dyno because he did not want more power 😂. All these cars running TR3 cams really hasn’t show the full potential , TR3 with the right turbo and this port injection fuel system makes great power at top end .
Thanks for the explanation. I've just started modding mine and when I was looking into that port injection mod years ago, Motect or similar standalone ECU was the requirement.

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
I have just finished testing of the TR2 Drop-In camshafts in the FL5 Civic Type R and am doing a similar write-up now. I'm not sure if it is interesting to people here, but I will probably share it here at well.

I also am posting some differences in the engines on our IG. These engines are largely identical, but there are some slight differences....such as the piston skirt coating and a coated top ringland, a change in the chain guides, etc.

OP
OP
4piston

4piston

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic Type R
Country flag
Thanks for the explanation. I've just started modding mine and when I was looking into that port injection mod years ago, Motect or similar standalone ECU was the requirement.
Motec isn't required for TR3, but not everyone has figured out how to effectively tune them on stock ECU. With a ported head and TR3 the engine is breathing much better, and jumping back and forth between tables....the main VE table you do not have access to. I can point you to someone who has a great handle on this and gets through it easily.

9000RPM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 CTR // '14 Cayenne
Country flag
Motec isn't required for TR3, but not everyone has figured out how to effectively tune them on stock ECU. With a ported head and TR3 the engine is breathing much better, and jumping back and forth between tables....the main VE table you do not have access to. I can point you to someone who has a great handle on this and gets through it easily.
I've bookmarked your post and will reach out if I ever get to that stage. Plan is to put on wheel cribs in the winter and work on downpipe replacement, adding gauges and some wiring. Next spring, I'm gonna try for a Motec.

shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 STI, 15 CRV, 16 Civic RS Turbo, 18 Civic Type R
Country flag
Do the TR cams produce more valve train noise? My TR2 cams are louder than stock. The noise is like a diesel engine and follows rpms. Valve lash was checked twice and was spot on.
Sponsored