Got my HKS coilovers today, can’t wait to install them them tomorrow!

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Nice! I have the same ones. Been running them out of the box the way it is with the preload and height. Better than stock suspension and a bit more comfortable out of the box. By default, the drop height is about 1.5 inch overall. That is the lowest I'd personally go. Naturally, when you lower a car, you'll get an increased side effect of bump steer. I recommend getting a zero-bump steer kit to complement this mod. I don't have the zero-bump steer kit installed yet, but I will eventually. Good luck with the HKS coilovers install!

OP
OP
picklepack

picklepack

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport Hatchback (CVT)
Country flag
Nice! I have the same ones. Been running them out of the box the way it is with the preload and height. Better than stock suspension and a bit more comfortable out of the box. By default, the drop height is about 1.5 inch overall. That is the lowest I'd personally go. Naturally, when you lower a car, you'll get an increased side effect of bump steer. I recommend getting a zero-bump steer kit to complement this mod. I don't have the zero-bump steer kit installed yet, but I will eventually. Good luck with the HKS coilovers install!
Oh nice! Thanks for the recommendation for the bump steer, I saw spoon made one so maybe Ill get that?

When you installed the springs for the rear, I saw that one end of the spring is welded to the coil while the other end isn't welded. Which side did you face up toward the height adjuster thing? Does it really matter?

And for the orientation I saw HKS recommends aligning the end of the spring towards the front side of the car for the right/left side and vice versa.Do I align the bottom end of the spring or the top?

And just to make sure I understand this correctly, The order for the rear is:
flat upper rubber plate, height adjuster, spring, lower rubber plate, correct?

Sorry for all of the questions!

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, 2000 Celica GT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Finally got my coilovers today after a few months of saving up! Super excited to install them tomorrow.

IMG_6270.jpeg
awesome!!!

this is on my radar as well.

can't wait to see how yours looks.
definitely post pics

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
whats a good brand bump steer kit?

OP
OP
picklepack

picklepack

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
awesome!!!

this is on my radar as well.

can't wait to see how yours looks.
definitely post pics
I definitely will. So far the kit looks very well put together, but I don't expect anything less from HKS ;)

Honda Civic 10th gen Got my HKS coilovers today, can’t wait to install them them tomorrow! tempImageBZkNM6

Siqc Cafe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Oh nice! Thanks for the recommendation for the bump steer, I saw spoon made one so maybe Ill get that?

When you installed the springs for the rear, I saw that one end of the spring is welded to the coil while the other end isn't welded. Which side did you face up toward the height adjuster thing? Does it really matter?

And for the orientation I saw HKS recommends aligning the end of the spring towards the front side of the car for the right/left side and vice versa.Do I align the bottom end of the spring or the top?

And just to make sure I understand this correctly, The order for the rear is:
flat upper rubber plate, height adjuster, spring, lower rubber plate, correct?

Sorry for all of the questions!
Follow the HKS instruction manual. Otherwise, I don't know. I had an aftermarket car shop help with the install instead. For the zero-bump steer kit, you want the full Spoon kit the bump steer ball joint thing along with the tie rod kit. Spoon kit is meant for the Spoon Springs drop which is about 1.2 inch. The kit is meant to correct the bump steer for that height. If you keep the drop out of the box though about 1.5 inch overall average, you should still be fine. Bump steer is probably more noticeable for people who drop more than 1 inch. What is bump steer? It is a reaction of the jerkiness of the steering wheel when going through bumps. The bumpier the road, the steering wheel will fight you. It gets worse the lower you are which is why the Spoon kit is recommended. There's no other kit not even Whiteline makes one for the FK7 I believe.

OP
OP
picklepack

picklepack

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Follow the HKS instruction manual. Otherwise, I don't know. I had an aftermarket car shop help with the install instead. For the zero-bump steer kit, you want the full Spoon kit the bump steer ball joint thing along with the tie rod kit. Spoon kit is meant for the Spoon Springs drop which is about 1.2 inch. The kit is meant to correct the bump steer for that height. If you keep the drop out of the box though about 1.5 inch overall average, you should still be fine. Bump steer is probably more noticeable for people who drop more than 1 inch. What is bump steer? It is a reaction of the jerkiness of the steering wheel when going through bumps. The bumpier the road, the steering wheel will fight you. It gets worse the lower you are which is why the Spoon kit is recommended. There's no other kit not even Whiteline makes one for the FK7 I believe.
Ok gotcha, HKS instructions don't really mention anything so I'm sure that means it doesn't really matter.

Adding spoon kit to the list!

alxgravel

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic si 2017
Country flag
Did you installed it? I have the low ball joint but seem to throw a bit off with it alone? Does the spoon tie rod can help me to get the line on zero with spoon ball joint & tie rod pair with the whiteline coil they drop like 0.8-1.0 inch.

OP
OP
picklepack

picklepack

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OP, how are you liking the HKS kit? I got the Hipermax S coils for my Si and installing this weekend!
They’re awesome! I finally got around to getting an alignment a couple of weeks ago and they feel amazing. No issues whatsoever.

I currently have them at 17 front 25 rear and I think it’s a good balance between performance and comfort but I am thinking of lowering it slightly just because feeling every imperfection in the road is getting a little annoying. Stock it came at 15,15 and I felt like it made the car a little unbalanced especially in the front.

I never adjusted the height but I think hks nailed it with their preset settings.

OP
OP
picklepack

picklepack

First Name
Kai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did you installed it? I have the low ball joint but seem to throw a bit off with it alone? Does the spoon tie rod can help me to get the line on zero with spoon ball joint & tie rod pair with the whiteline coil they drop like 0.8-1.0 inch.
Not who you were asking but I never installed either of those.

I haven’t experienced any bump steer from what I could tell and the car handles and drives just fine.

I am thinking of getting the adjustable ball joints for up front either from Whiteline or hard race just to get some more neg camber.

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
I apologize for the delay. I will have it installed this coming Saturday. The shop I scheduled for my appointment was really booked for Saturday's. I can only do Saturday so they had me scheduled for 4/20.
Sponsored