FK8 Type R SPECIFIC FENDER VENT

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
Now that everyone's done w/ the FK8 platform and market is dry, I'll start/continue to make parts. ;) I got a few things in mind. First up, what I believe has been missing since 2017, an actual traditional fender vent that we all thought we had at one point. It may be obvious the OEM design does not work well, so I developed a traditional fender vent that fills the empty location behind the fender connecting the OEM vent thru the fender liner. 3D scanned the back of fender as well as the liner to get all the nooks and crannies to make it a seamless transition as well as a clean install. The final part is hidden and fits perfectly in the gaps & contours. I made 2 flavors. A SMALL & LARGE option that covers the entire vent. Smaller is for individuals with parts or hoods designed to use the OEM vent. I only know of Varis hood. Personally, I’m using the large vents.
Some may know me as the "no drill license plate bracket guy". Now, I'm mainly making them for the FL5 community.
Which leads me to the pricing, a challenging decision. Similar to my brackets, I’ll also be printing these vents. I sell my brackets(ABS) for $60 shipped for FL5. The smaller vent is 3x the material as FL5 bracket. This part is quite big and even bigger for the large vent. Edited if anyone saw my previous cost. I've spoke to a few members. I feel like i'm selling myself short, but I'll try for this. I’ll start w/ $160/EACH SET(L&R) for the small and $185/EACH SET for the large respectively. SHIPPED. You get 2 parts, one for each fender. I enjoy working w/ the community, so I can offer printing initial batches out of carbon fiber. Due to cost, it may default to ABS. CF is 3x the cost of ABS. $20 vs 70$+/1kg roll with slower print speeds. However, with enough interest and buyers, I could possibly continue to use CF, although I think it’s overkill for this part. We could also come up w/ better pricing and even better mfg, but that’s a bit farfetched for now. Feel free to provide feedback.
The installation process is easy, no fender removal. Remove 4-5 plastic clips and the 3 screws that holds the liner in place. Cut the hole in the liner, move it to the side and slide my vent in. Done. the hardest part is taking your time to cut out the liner. The liner is quite thick and the many contours could be hard to cut. I used a cheap hot knife. Slices right thru it. Take your time to make a clean cut. I don't like to hack up my car, but I'm sure the liner is pretty beat up for most of us unless you just park your car lol

Check out the photos. More to come.....

LARGE VENT
Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 Type R SPECIFIC FENDER VENT image_67220225.JPG

LARGE PROTOTYPE INSTALLED.
Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 Type R SPECIFIC FENDER VENT IMG_1187

SMALL VENT. DOESN'T COMPLETELY COVER THE TOP PORTION OF OEM VENT
Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 Type R SPECIFIC FENDER VENT image_67176705.JPG

SMALL VENT
Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 Type R SPECIFIC FENDER VENT IMG_1220
Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 Type R SPECIFIC FENDER VENT image_50436097.JPG

SMALL VENT INSTALLED. INSIDE FENDER VIEW.
Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 Type R SPECIFIC FENDER VENT IMG_1219

SMALL VENT INSTALLED. I'm trying Mastic Tape to act as an edge seal. It's really sticky and contours to everything.
Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 Type R SPECIFIC FENDER VENT image_67213825.JPG

Honda Civic 10th gen FK8 Type R SPECIFIC FENDER VENT image_67213825.JPG

Last edited:

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
Wouldn’t that be cutting off any venting from under the hood tho?
Looks like it’s channeling air through the fender but not pulling hot air from under the hood?
Unless it’s an aero type mod.
Just curious as I am not here to judge at all.
I will also say I have the apr ones which have decent venting but with the password jdm or other under hood trims they cut off this area you can normally see with the hood open.

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
Upon further inspection I see the pwjdm inner fender trims channel the air towards the vents so if the top of your duct was open or mesh it could help to pull out that channeled air.
Just not sure if pulling more air from the wheels through the fender may cause negative aero effects.

OP
OP

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Wouldn’t that be cutting off any venting from under the hood tho?
Looks like it’s channeling air through the fender but not pulling hot air from under the hood?
Unless it’s an aero type mod.
Just curious as I am not here to judge at all.
I will also say I have the apr ones which have decent venting but with the password jdm or other under hood trims they cut off this area you can normally see with the hood open.
no worries, you have the right to judge and question. I assume people would ask and they did on FB, but i didnt' want to type out a book again. But here it is again. lol.
The OEM hood and vent system does not work well. There's 3 claims. 1. it doesn't work at all. Car & Driver states this as well as some members here claiming they spoke to honda engineers. Honda themselfs has a trim blocking the hood channel as you mentioned. 2. it works to cool the engine by venting air out. Well, do you believe this? If so, wussup w/ all the cooling issues? 3. its for aerodynamic functions. I believe this portion. But, a fender vent also creates downforce by vent out wheel well pressure. It also helps w/ cooling the brakes and engine (if you had an oil cooler like the HKS that's in front of the wheel, the fender vent helps exit the air that passes the cooler). Based on these 3 claims, I created a big and small vent. The small vent doesn't completely obstruct any OEM air exit elements if you're lead to believe they all work great. I also created the small considering the Varis hood. This hood design uses the OEM vent to exit air. Personally, I'm going big or go home lol. I'm using the big vent. I also have the APR vent(not installed). Those vents are basically a copy of OEM, but in CF material. Marginally bigger holes. I guess you can say it's bigger because they use some cheap mesh thats taped on that has thinner hole outlines vs OEM that has thicker borders for the mesh. Lastly, if anyone uses an aftermarket hood without the scoop, then the OEM function goes out the window.

OP
OP

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Upon further inspection I see the pwjdm inner fender trims channel the air towards the vents so if the top of your duct was open or mesh it could help to pull out that channeled air.
Just not sure if pulling more air from the wheels through the fender may cause negative aero effects.
based on my last response, you can say I PRIORITIZED the flow to the vent in the wheel well area. IMHO, the pwjdm trim doesnt' channel anything. Its just an opening. Better than nothing i guess if you're lead to believe the oem hood scoop works

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
based on my last response, you can say I PRIORITIZED the flow to the vent in the wheel well area. IMHO, the pwjdm trim doesnt' channel anything. Its just an opening. Better than nothing i guess if you're lead to believe the oem hood scoop works
I do believe the pwjdm fender trims do add to direct the airflow rather than a wide open area compared to stock. I also believe there is definitely heat extracted with the use of the scoop coupled with the pwjdm fender trims. I also don’t know if the other fender trims on the market are shaped like the pwjdm trims to channel the air towards the fender.

Clearly there are plenty of excessive heat issues with the fk8. Wondering if the fk2 has similar cooling issues since it’s the same motor. If it does I would think it’s more due to the design of the motor and the venting of any air between the 2 cars has no effect.
Either way just offering up some thoughts and my opinion. I think some testing and data would be needed to see any change.

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EF9 DC2 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The hood has an aluminum channel connected to the hood scoop that directs air right into the fenders. The fender vents ARE FUNCTIONAL despite what the media personalities have told everyone.

OP
OP

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The hood has an aluminum channel connected to the hood scoop that directs air right into the fenders. The fender vents ARE FUNCTIONAL despite what the media personalities have told everyone.
Thanks for the feedback. i'm very well aware of all the so claimed functional parts of this car. I never said it doesn't work at all. After all, the air coming in needs to exit out. I described everything above in earlier response. Adding to that, I'm here to state the oem FK8 vent functionality does NOT WORK WELL. And I'm the first one to challenge that by designing something, utlitizing that space, & converting it back to a traditional vent function like most modern sports cars. ;) Knowingly, why I made a big and small vent. Personally, I have a J's Racing hood which no longer utilizes the stock hood functionality so i'm using the large vent. The smaller vent leaves a space that caters to the FK8 hood channels. I also track the car pretty heavily, so I'm looking for things to get the most out of this car with a stock engine. yes, i know all about seat time lol.
I didn't reinvent the wheel. This type of vent I designed is standard OEM in a lot of sports cars. Hence, the FL5 has it. I just noticed this the other day, but take a look at the GR Corolla fender vent. Looks very similar to my small vent design. I just made it adapt to our oem vent. The next thing someone could say is, well...OEM CFD'ed and wind tunneled their cars. OK, sounds fair. I'll take points off for not having the capability to do that. However, not being arrogant, but do I need to provide numbers? IMHO, these traditional vents are everywhere & should be an established, proven part. Most should know what they are and what they do. If you google or youtube, there's plethora of videos and even data on a universal vent. Take a look at race louvers. All the data including CFD is there from a large to small vent. Given mine isn't exactly the same design. That being said, will you cut your OEM fender up to have best of the best vent w/ wind tunnel/cfd data? Perhaps? Or Probably no, right? Mine just cuts the liner and snaps in.
I understand the masses will have the stock hood. So I'm going to focus on the smaller vent. Trying to finalize the design.

Last edited:

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EF9 DC2 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, what you're saying is that you don't believe that the CFD that Honda ran on the car is sufficient, which you are possibly right about. You believe you have solved an issue. But what issue does this solve? All I'm seeing is air getting passed through a useless channel and foregoing the vents intentionally design.

I like the idea, but it needs more work.

Edit: To add, the OEM fender trim kits that people are discussing, they were intended to be base Civic trim kit. The Type R didn't come with them from factory because air is diverted through the FUNCTIONAL vents that nearly every media person said were fake.

Last edited:

vtecr

First Name
FK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 GT-Spec Daily, EP3 Type-R, EP1 Project, EU7 Beater (+ others I care less about...)
Country flag
I love the creativity in this. It makes me wonder though, does this generate noise at higher speeds?

OP
OP

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I love the creativity in this. It makes me wonder though, does this generate noise at higher speeds?
Thanks! currently testing. I would normally go straight to the track. Unfortunately, I'm quite busy recently. Might not make it to track at all until end of this summer. I probably wouldn't be a good person to ask about NVH as my car is track prepped 24/7. My suspension is full on RV6 bars/bushings, aftermarket coilovers/stiff springs, with 200TW tires. I do daily though and I didn't notice any extra noise? Not a good answer lol.

MarcusgibbS

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8 2000 EM1
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback. i'm very well aware of all the so claimed functional parts of this car. I never said it doesn't work at all. After all, the air coming in needs to exit out. I described everything above in earlier response. Adding to that, I'm here to state the oem FK8 vent functionality does NOT WORK WELL. And I'm the first one to challenge that by designing something, utlitizing that space, & converting it back to a traditional vent function like most modern sports cars. ;) Knowingly, why I made a big and small vent. Personally, I have a J's Racing hood which no longer utilizes the stock hood functionality so i'm using the large vent. The smaller vent leaves a space that caters to the FK8 hood channels. I also track the car pretty heavily, so I'm looking for things to get the most out of this car with a stock engine. yes, i know all about seat time lol.
I didn't reinvent the wheel. This type of vent I designed is standard OEM in a lot of sports cars. Hence, the FL5 has it. I just noticed this the other day, but take a look at the GR Corolla fender vent. Looks very similar to my small vent design. I just made it adapt to our oem vent. The next thing someone could say is, well...OEM CFD'ed and wind tunneled their cars. OK, sounds fair. I'll take points off for not having the capability to do that. However, not being arrogant, but do I need to provide numbers? IMHO, these traditional vents are everywhere & should be an established, proven part. Most should know what they are and what they do. If you google or youtube, there's plethora of videos and even data on a universal vent. Take a look at race louvers. All the data including CFD is there from a large to small vent. Given mine isn't exactly the same design. That being said, will you cut your OEM fender up to have best of the best vent w/ wind tunnel/cfd data? Perhaps? Or Probably no, right? Mine just cuts the liner and snaps in.
I understand the masses will have the stock hood. So I'm going to focus on the smaller vent. Trying to finalize the design.
Just asking questions and providing an opinion. You aren’t required to prove anything I’m just asking out of curiosity. I wasn’t trying to upset you. I do feel that you were quick to just repost what you put on Facebook so I’m not sure how open to feedback you actually are instead of being so defensive to some.
Sponsored