Clutch slip right after tuning for the first time?

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hi y'all, just recently tuned my 2020 for the first time with Phearable and love it. Unfortunately however, car is already slipping in 4th at peak boost even on the lowest boost setting.

Car has 16.2k miles and is daily driven in city traffic mostly, never lugged the engine and always made sure to WOT above 3.5k even when untuned and tried to do my best to take care of it.

Wondering if this is odd or if this is just another unlucky early slippage case. I definitely have some decent wear on my clutch from a lot of stop and go so I can't say I'm necessarily surprised, more just sad I couldn't get more life out of my clutch before upgrading. All the people I know that have been tuned have eventually suffered some sort of slippage but that's after driving tuned for a bit. Just want a little confirmation and want to hear your thoughts, Thanks yall
Sponsored

SiR

First Name
nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si, 2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi y'all, just recently tuned my 2020 for the first time with Phearable and love it. Unfortunately however, car is already slipping in 4th at peak boost even on the lowest boost setting.

Car has 16.2k miles and is daily driven in city traffic mostly, never lugged the engine and always made sure to WOT above 3.5k even when untuned and tried to do my best to take care of it.

Wondering if this is odd or if this is just another unlucky early slippage case. I definitely have some decent wear on my clutch from a lot of stop and go so I can't say I'm necessarily surprised, more just sad I couldn't get more life out of my clutch before upgrading. All the people I know that have been tuned have eventually suffered some sort of slippage but that's after driving tuned for a bit. Just want a little confirmation and want to hear your thoughts, Thanks yall
Well, I had a 10th gen si, and everyone knows the clutch is The weakest part of that car. It's the same clutch used for all the civics with less power. So, i won't be surprised by anything if the car is no longer stock.

Snidely

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 civic si
Country flag
My clutch slipped on my first wot 3rd get pull with tsp map 3. I’ve been driving it conservatively the last month with no issues. I really got to get that clutch installed

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2020 Civic Si Coupe Past: 2018 Civic Si Coupe, 2014 Prius, 2013 Civic LX 5spd
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My clutch slipped on my first wot 3rd get pull with tsp map 3. I’ve been driving it conservatively the last month with no issues. I really got to get that clutch installed
Yeah man I haven’t even touched map 3 yet haha. Tried map 2 first and slipped, map 1 after and I skipped as well. Going to drive conservative for a few months while I get parts ready, at least once we get the clutch we’ll be laying that power down!

OP
OP
suhhh

suhhh

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well, I had a 10th gen si, and everyone knows the clutch is The weakest part of that car. It's the same clutch used for all the civics with less power. So, i won't be surprised by anything if the car is no longer stock.
Yup rated for factory which is unfortunate, wish 10gen came w stronger clutches to save us all some money haha

AdamSI

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si coupe
Country flag
ive ran all tunes on my si no slip. I only use 2nd and 3rd to WOT and only run 12psi in 4TH 5TH and 6th. 4th gear is a 1:1 gear ratio so to me that's a overdriven gear. Im now on MAP stage 1 but using the boost target tables to keep it at 17psi until 4,500rpm then have it set to target 21psi. so the car has more horsepower than torque now and is great for the clutch. hope this helps man

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
Mine slipped an hour after flashing TSP stage 1 for Si. It just accelerated my plans for a clutch swap significantly.

SDAlexander8

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17’ Si FC3, 17’ Accord 2dr V6 6MT, 22’ RL RTL-E
Country flag
ive ran all tunes on my si no slip. I only use 2nd and 3rd to WOT and only run 12psi in 4TH 5TH and 6th. 4th gear is a 1:1 gear ratio so to me that's a overdriven gear. Im now on MAP stage 1 but using the boost target tables to keep it at 17psi until 4,500rpm then have it set to target 21psi. so the car has more horsepower than torque now and is great for the clutch. hope this helps man
I think Honda treats 4th gear as an overdrive gear as well. 4th gear pulls up to 100+ mph always feel like it could be pulling more on the stock tune. I’m certain the stock tune limits boost when WOT in 4th gear. May also be why boost at 80% throttle is higher than WOT.

Of course any aftermarket tune is just going to unlock those limitations and make it pull to redline.

A WOT pull in a 1:1 ratio gear making a mountain of extra boost and torque is going to be torture for the stock clutch. OP only has 16k miles on his 2020 Si. That clutch is still damn near brand new, city traffic or not.

I’m too OCD and too broke to tune this car. It’s fun as is for me. I can’t justify spending more money doing it right on this car than the price I bought it for.
Sponsored