KyangJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
What’s up everyone. I own a 2020 Si coupe and I have been having trouble with shifting into gears(I can shift when car is off and I can also shift the car when it is turned on and on jack stands. But I can’t shift when car is on ground and not turned on). This happened 1 month after installing my stage 2 competition clutch with a light flywheel. I also have an acuity fully shiftable shifter assembly. I am still running the stock clutch line, I just now ordered the prl braided clutch line. I also ordered the Sirimoto v2 CMC and a stock CSC(In-case my oem one right now isn’t good.) I flushed out my whole brake reservoir and added in new DOT 3 synthetic Prestone brake fluid(Yes, I also bled my system.) After bleeding out my csc and flushing out the system, my car was able to shift when the car was on the ground and ignition on. I drove the car for a around for a bit but after a few mins, my car wouldn’t want to shift anymore, same problem. Any suggestions as to why this problem is happening?
Sponsored

OP
OP

KyangJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Edit: I installed a new throwout bearing, inspected my clutch, new cmc, new csc, new transmission fluid and still can't shift into gear.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
how is your clutch adjustment? It might be off enough after the clutch broke in that it needs to be tightened a bit maybe as it's not getting depressed enough to completely disengage. Pretty much the only thing I can see from what you already did.

My ACT clutch friction point was almost at the top when new and settled in around the middle after 500-1000 km. If your clutch was set new at the middle of pedal travel it might be too low now.

Could also be a loose clutch line letting air in when you use it so it works at first but eventually doesn't. Hope it fixes your problem.

OP
OP

KyangJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
how is your clutch adjustment? It might be off enough after the clutch broke in that it needs to be tightened a bit maybe as it's not getting depressed enough to completely disengage. Pretty much the only thing I can see from what you already did.

My ACT clutch friction point was almost at the top when new and settled in around the middle after 500-1000 km. If your clutch was set new at the middle of pedal travel it might be too low now.

Could also be a loose clutch line letting air in when you use it so it works at first but eventually doesn't. Hope it fixes your problem.
I've asked Honda mechanics around. When I took off my transmission, I noticed there were scuff marks on my clutch pressure plate. I later was told that maybe my clutch was shifted out of place slightly. The clutch line was completely replaced with a new Sirimoto Clutch Master Cylinder and a brand new Clutch slave cylinder. Thank you for updating me, I am definitely gonna have to take out my tranny again...

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
I'm talking about the clutch adjustment on your pedal, and the linkage, not the the clutch alignment against the pressure plate. Could also be that though but I'd try adjusting your friction point first before pulling it again.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I've asked Honda mechanics around. When I took off my transmission, I noticed there were scuff marks on my clutch pressure plate. I later was told that maybe my clutch was shifted out of place slightly. The clutch line was completely replaced with a new Sirimoto Clutch Master Cylinder and a brand new Clutch slave cylinder. Thank you for updating me, I am definitely gonna have to take out my tranny again...

I sure hope your clutch didn't casually slip out of place that's pretty terrifying. Once you get inside and see what happened and fix it at least you can still enjoy the rest of the improvements. I'm a firm believer that if installed right the better clutch kits like the act and competition should work without issue using the whole OEM setup, hell mine still does, slave is still there, didn't even bother to put a ss line in, works flawless.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
yeah I'm going on 35k km on my ACT kit with no signs of failure or slippage, loving it.

OP
OP

KyangJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag

How far off is your clutch pedal to your brakes?

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Wanna say it's even without looking at it or pretty close to it. It shouldn't affect that though with the spring in the pedal. I mean where in the clutch pedal travel does your engine start to drop rpm and the car wants to move forward? If it's past halfway to the floor you might need to adjust the linkage to make the engagement point higher. Never adjusted it myself but on other cars it should be adjustable without pulling the trans.

OP
OP

KyangJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Wanna say it's even without looking at it or pretty close to it. It shouldn't affect that though with the spring in the pedal. I mean where in the clutch pedal travel does your engine start to drop rpm and the car wants to move forward? If it's past halfway to the floor you might need to adjust the linkage to make the engagement point higher. Never adjusted it myself but on other cars it should be adjustable without pulling the trans.
I’ve already pulled my trans at this time. Took my clutch out, inspected it and reinstalled it. I’d say when I clutch in, it’s about half way when my rpm starts to move. But considering that I can’t even shift when my clutch is pressed fully, I’ll need to make my clutch pedal higher.

Neddih

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I’ve already pulled my trans at this time. Took my clutch out, inspected it and reinstalled it. I’d say when I clutch in, it’s about half way when my rpm starts to move. But considering that I can’t even shift when my clutch is pressed fully, I’ll need to make my clutch pedal higher.

Hopefully this is your solution, I know my ACT started engagement pretty low but ended up near the middle/top-middle after settling in, so if you do try adjusting the pedal don't worry about having the exact engagement point as others since it can vary slightly. At least after pulling the trans you didnt see anything wrong which is a good thing even though you had to do that

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hade this problem also. Could shift when the car was off but not running. The reason on mine was it was actually overthrowing. I had the cmc adjusted too deep. I figured it out because I could actually shift if I didn't quite floor the clutch. I have a wilwood 5/8 bore CMC. Now I have it adjusted that it works great but my cruise control won't work because of my clutch adjustment.

Edit: I should also add it was working good with my initial adjustment after installing the Wilwood CMC but after some weeks, like 2-6 I forget, this happened. I have spec stage 2+ clutch.

Last edited:
OP
OP

KyangJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I also felt vibrations as soon as I clutch in. Don’t know if that’s normal.

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
I hade this problem also. Could shift when the car was off but not running. The reason on mine was it was actually overthrowing. I had the cmc adjusted too deep. I figured it out because I could actually shift if I didn't quite floor the clutch. I have a wilwood 5/8 bore CMC. Now I have it adjusted that it works great but my cruise control won't work because of my clutch adjustment.

Edit: I should also add it was working good with my initial adjustment after installing the Wilwood CMC but after some weeks, like 2-6 I forget, this happened. I have spec stage 2+ clutch.
You can adjust the clutch travel senson too.

OP
OP

KyangJ

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Update: after putting everything back in, I had 2 broken bolts ;( so I still have to buy those. The car is now able to shift smoothly and I am still able to go forward and backward with no problems. I also have another issue now. My backup camera is not turning on and my reverse lights aren’t working.. any clues?
Sponsored