Are valve cover leaks common on current gen Civics?

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2.0L
I've seen quite a few videos showing valve cover leaking issues on the current gen Civic. Some as early as only 3k miles. This particular one was the 2.0L.
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I've been here since 2015. Does it happen? Sure. Happens on other manufacturer's cars too.

I don't think it's rampant by any means.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Country flag

I read ; resume ;
" .... currently have a 23 civic sport hatch with 8,000 miles on it, my mom has a 23 sport sedan with 9,000 miles on it and my younger brother has a 24 sport hatch with 4,000 miles on it. All of these vehicles have the same K20C2 engine it and all 3 of these vehicles are leaking oil through the valve cover. "

--------------------

I've been following the forum for a long time and I've noticed that it's the sport (and turbo) models that very often have problems.

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just had my 2020 2.0L K20C2 with 40K miles get it's leaky gasket valve cover gasket replaced under warranty, the only reason I knew it was leaking was a Rainman Rays YouTube video from a month or so ago, so I looked at my engine and there it was, leaking in the back where you can't see unless you look for it. love watching that guy work lol

OP
OP

TunaFresh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2.0L
I read ; resume ;
" .... currently have a 23 civic sport hatch with 8,000 miles on it, my mom has a 23 sport sedan with 9,000 miles on it and my younger brother has a 24 sport hatch with 4,000 miles on it. All of these vehicles have the same K20C2 engine it and all 3 of these vehicles are leaking oil through the valve cover. "

--------------------

I've been following the forum for a long time and I've noticed that it's the sport (and turbo) models that very often have problems.

Would it better to get an aftermarket valve cover that isn't plastic? These plastic VC's seem to be the issue.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
2019 Ctr here with 55k no leaks on its k20C1. But next to it in the stable, a 45k 2022 Accord K20C4 has a leaky valve cover gasket.

Right above the turbo, so originally it looked like a possible oil spill from the fill hole directly above during routine maintenance.

A fist full of brake cleaner & rags later proved other wise after a week of driving & re inspection.

Now anyone knows that most valve cover leaks come from hardened or brittle gaskets, from heat exposure, age, or crank case pressure, which in that case possibly could be a culprit of something going on with the PCV.
Most likely on a newer car, I am willing to bet if you check your air filter & see it looks a bit more then just a slight oil dust , you're most getting crank case blow by, which caused your gasket blow out.

Honda Civic 10th gen Are valve cover leaks common on current gen Civics? 20240204_170936

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I read ; resume ;

--------------------

Sport and LX have the same K20C2, trim has nothing to do with it.

A few Type R guys who have had this issue have retorqued the covers and the issues went away. Many of the aftermarket valve covers from J's, Spoon etc also recommend a retorque after a few thousand miles. I'd say it's worth a shot, much easier to find the torque values and retighten than taking it to a dealer for a full replacement.
Sponsored