235/45/R18 fit and speed discrepancy questions.

eob2000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UKDM 2017 Civic Sport Plus Hatch (1.5T 6MT)
Country flag
Hi All,

My Civic has OEM 17inch wheels with 235/45/R17 tires. At some point I am looking at moving to the OEM 18s from the 11th gen. The OEM tire fit on these is 235/40/R18 which gives the same overall diameter as my 17s. However I would like to go for a larger tire to fill out the wheel arches a bit. I live in the british countryside so lowering is basically not an option and having larger tires on the car would give a small but welcome lift

I am considering 235/45/R18 which gives the same sidewall size as my 17s and on paper would throw off the speedo around ~3.5% which a few threads here have mentioned is too much. However I have been doing some testing with a GPS speedometer on my phone and it appears that the speedo reads around ~2% fast to begin with so with the larger tires I would only be looking at a ~1.5% difference albeit with the speedo now reading a bit too slow than a bit too fast. This discrepancy would not be anywhere near enough to bother me (or get me in any trouble).

Is anyone here able to back up my speedo findings or have any experience with this tire size on their civics? Is the fitment ok with OEM springs?

Edit: Does anyone know if Ktuner ever added the ability to correct the speedo in software? It looks like it has been mentioned for years but I am not seeing any evidence of it happening.
Sponsored

Last edited: