2016 Civic 1.5L Turbo Surges at Highway Speeds (45–70 MPH) S.B. #16-028

firstblud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm not quite sure I feel the symptoms mentioned here with the RPM dribbling up and down. Do you all think it's worth pushing to get it installed? I have one of the earlier touring models that first came out.
Sponsored

hunter44102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Civic Hybrid, 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm not quite sure I feel the symptoms mentioned here with the RPM dribbling up and down. Do you all think it's worth pushing to get it installed? I have one of the earlier touring models that first came out.
The issue didn't start until 14k miles on my early Touring. When it did, it was pretty annoying at like 62mph steady or cruise control. You saw tiny little jumps on the RPM and felt them too.

My dealer never asked me to demonstrate the issue. They just did the update. However it took like 2-3 hours so bring a book or charged phone

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd still get it done so it's at least on the record if you ever want to sell.

Mine didn't develop until about 10-15k in. And when it did, it was annoying as hell. Constantly fluttering.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd still get it done so it's at least on the record if you ever want to sell.

Mine didn't develop until about 10-15k in. And when it did, it was annoying as hell. Constantly fluttering.

sngx1275

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic LX, 2016 Civic EXT
Country flag
Mine is an early EXT, started fairly early on (probably 2k miles in?, maybe slightly more, for sure under 7500 though) and persisted, sometimes very badly through about 18k. Then it seemed to have healed up, I've got just under 30k on the car now and rarely happens now.

I tried to get my dealer to fix it once and they did not attempt, they said they tried to replicate it and were unable to, but this was still early on enough that I don't believe they knew what to look for and also apparently misheard me and took me for an idiot (despite me calling ahead and describing it in person (so describing twice)) and thought I said 'lurching' and then told me that my LKAS was on and that was the corrections keeping me in lane. I was thinking, wtf, of course I know it isn't that, I wouldn't have spent extra for the Sense package without knowing what it does.

So I didn't get it fixed at that dealer, and at the time they were the only dealer within over an hour from where I lived. Now i moved to the town where the dealer is, but there is another about 30 minutes away, so I may eventually try and get it fixed there. I'll get it fixed eventually, if for nothing else, just to have it on record if I ever want to sell (like the guy above me said). But mine is mostly healed up so it isn't bothering me anymore.

mattlopez209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
I just took my car in yesterday for maintenance and since i read about this update on here i asked them to apply that as well. I had felt the surging RPM problem a few times before. A few hours later a get a call from the dealership saying that after the update my TCM seemed to be fried and they could not get their computer to read it anymore. I got a loaner and waited for my TCM to be replaced today. Just now i get a call saying that some things are still not working and technical support wants them to replace the body control module as well. And that needs to come in from Connecticut (I'm in California). Has anybody else had issues like this?

Last edited:

Mocha90210

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
I just took my car in yesterday for maintenance and since i read about this update on here i asked them to apply that as well. I had felt the surging RPM problem a few times before. A few hours later a get a call from the dealership saying that after the update my TCM seemed to be fried and they could not get their computer to read it anymore. I got a loaner and waited for my TCM to be replaced today. Just now i get a call saying that some things are still not working and technical support wants them to replace the body control module as well. And that needs to come in from Connecticut (I'm in California). Has anybody else had issues like this?
The BCM’s have been buggy and linked to the issue where the car freeezes up after closing the trunk and the only way to unlock it is to use the actual key, which in turn sets off the alarm. You’re getting it replaced so that’s a good thing. And you have a loaner to boot. All things considered, you’re gonna come out ok.

cdncivic16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring, 2016 Honda Odyssey EX
Would this correct the issue where at highway speeds I can feel the car driving like I don’t have a steady foot. The rpm’s rev up and down - only like 100 up and the back down again but it’s annoying.

sngx1275

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic LX, 2016 Civic EXT
Country flag
Would this correct the issue where at highway speeds I can feel the car driving like I don’t have a steady foot. The rpm’s rev up and down - only like 100 up and the back down again but it’s annoying.
That is pretty much exactly what the problem is. However, as much as I'd like to say mine is fixed, I've never taken mine in even though I was a fairly early replyer on this issue. It doesn't seem to be a constant problem like it was in the past, or maybe I've just gotten used to it and don't notice it anymore (doubtful).

internalaudit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Civic 5 M/T, 2011 I4 Accord Coupe 5 A/T
Any '17 owners experiencing this issue or is this related to first few '16 batches?

IronBorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic CVT Hatchback with Honda Sensing, Ktuner
Any '17 owners experiencing this issue or is this related to first few '16 batches?
I’ve got a 2018 Hatch w/Honda sensing doing this exact same thing but at a less noticeable degree. At 70 with cruise on it will slowly decrease rpm until it drops 1mph and then increase rpm to reach desired speed. It is very hard to spot it if you’re not looking at your speed and mpg meter. I had a family member following me on a trip and they asked why I wasn’t using cruise control lol. So this issue hasn’t been fixed even with the newer 18s it’s just not as pronounced.

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’ve got a 2018 Hatch w/Honda sensing doing this exact same thing but at a less noticeable degree. At 70 with cruise on it will slowly decrease rpm until it drops 1mph and then increase rpm to reach desired speed. It is very hard to spot it if you’re not looking at your speed and mpg meter. I had a family member following me on a trip and they asked why I wasn’t using cruise control lol. So this issue hasn’t been fixed even with the newer 18s it’s just not as pronounced.
Normal for cruise control. It varies your RPM based on load, it will be more pronounced with econ on.

IronBorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Normal for cruise control. It varies your RPM based on load, it will be more pronounced with econ on.
I have never had a cruise control on any vehicle I’ve owned consistently drop 1 mph every few seconds. This should not be normal especially for a Honda product.

Last edited:

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have never had a cruise control on any vehicle I’ve owned ever consistently drop 1 mph every few seconds. This should not be normal especially for a Honda product.
Does it happen on both flat roads and hilly terrain?

IronBorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does it happen on both flat roads and hilly terrain?
Flat yes and on hilly terrain I expect it to drop a little when going uphill but you can notice it between hills.
Sponsored

Last edited: