Where's the petcock to the radiator in a 2016 1.5L Turbo engine?

fuzzydang

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic 1.5T Sedan
Country flag
Hi Everyone,

I have been under my car a lot trying to locate the petcock drain plug for the radiator. I am trying to flush it myself but can't find it. I have seen people have pictures of it, so I know it's there and it's not a sasquatch siting. How do you get to it? Do I have to remove stuff? Do I need to remove the intake diffuser (i don't want to have to do)? Is it easier to get to by removing the air intake box? Please help. I'm a beginner DIY and would like some guidance?

Thank you
Sponsored

Jason Baker

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Behind the crossbar closest to the lower left corner of the radiator as you look from the drivers seat out to the front of the car.
It’s white and looks like a butterfly.
Open the cap on the reservoir for better flow!

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
It’s easier to get to on the non si 1.5t 10th gens. The si one is buried behind the intake resonator under the air box. If you have an ext or sport hatch look underneath towards the left corner. Same for the si but like I said, it’s buried behind the resonator of the intake so you’ll have to remove what seems like an unnecessary amount of parts to gain access. Easier method I’ve learned from old Honda techs I worked with, just remove the lower rad hose from the bottom of the rad. You won’t have to take apart nearly as much of the parts off and you kinda do get more old coolant out that way.

OP
OP

fuzzydang

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It’s easier to get to on the non si 1.5t 10th gens. The si one is buried behind the intake resonator under the air box. If you have an ext or sport hatch look underneath towards the left corner. Same for the si but like I said, it’s buried behind the resonator of the intake so you’ll have to remove what seems like an unnecessary amount of parts to gain access. Easier method I’ve learned from old Honda techs I worked with, just remove the lower rad hose from the bottom of the rad. You won’t have to take apart nearly as much of the parts off and you kinda do get more old coolant out that way.
Thanks a lot... I very much didn't want to remove that intake diffuser and air box. I saw a video of that and it was bananas. I'm kinda concerned with detaching hoses, but it looks like the only way to go on a 1.5t engine I guess. I'm pretty much a beginner but willing to put the effort. Thanks a lot for the information.

OP
OP

fuzzydang

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My bad...it should be intake resonator and not diffuser.

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
Trust me the lower rad hose will be the quickest method with the least amount of parts removed and it removes more coolant than just draining from the petcock. I’ll throw you a big tip for removing the rad hose or any coolant hose for that matter. Pulling or tugging on it after loosening the clamp and moving it down some, will be a pita and you probably won’t have success. Try to twist instead so the surface or the inlet/outlet can break free sorta speak. I’m nice you can twist it left and right some what freely, removing the hose is easy

Oddwayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19’ Si coupe & 99 ej6
Country flag
It’s easy to get to from under the car. Remove the shield under the engine and you’ll see it.
for non si 1.5 cars yes, the si, to do it by the book, it’s annoying cause you have to remove a few more parts to get access to the drain.

OP
OP

fuzzydang

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I'm going to talk newbie talk. Looks like the rad hose will ensure I get a lot of the fluid. The rad hose is underneath the car in the center of the front of the car. I there are two tubes connected at a splitter and I can remove the left or either? Just making sure. Thanks for the help.

JamesFixIt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback EX
Country flag

Just in case anyone is looking to drain via the petcock on the 1.5T; I wasn't able to loosen the petcock from beneath the car, but removing the intake was pretty simple. đź‘Ś
Sponsored