Wheats027

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R - Championship White
Country flag
I know this has been talked about before but no real conclusions seem to have been made.
Type R 16,000 miles. Has a knocking noise between 1500-2000rpm. Does not seem to affect performance in any way. I know others have this. Have we found what this is?

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
No clue what it is, but I would have it towed to a mechanic to diagnose it. That sounds like something that could cause a window mod if it continues to be run.

OP
OP
Wheats027

Wheats027

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No clue what it is, but I would have it towed to a mechanic to diagnose it. That sounds like something that could cause a window mod if it continues to be run.
Right, my issue is that there is no check engine light. I really don't want to pay $180 diagnostic for them to find "Nothing". A ticking sound could be a multitude of things and a dealership would want to tear down the motor to find it, if that's the case.

Considering this seems to actually be a common issue I have seen a couple videos on, I was hoping there would be some info. Absolute worst case is rod knock with a damaged or spun bearing. But if a bearing is damaged they usually go very quick and rod knock is typically much louder and pronounced, almost no mistaking it. The car doesn't really have the noise when still warming up.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
If the clutch pedal is pulsating while driving its usually bent rods. Get a second set of eyes and open the hood to try and pinpoint it.
is there an exhaust leak sounds boomy.

OP
OP
Wheats027

Wheats027

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If the clutch pedal is pulsating while driving its usually bent rods. Get a second set of eyes and open the hood to try and pinpoint it.
is there an exhaust leak sounds boomy.
Definitely no clutch pedal shake. Im gonna have three sets of eyes on it tomorrow and the stethoscope. Its a bone stock car, never twisted a single bolt. 16,000 miles on the car and it does get driven hard, had 1 track day maybe 5,000 miles ago with no mishaps.
I’ll see what we can find.

ShaRm3064

First Name
Sharmilan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda CIvic Type R #3064 Crystal Black Pearl
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My cars has been doing this(same sound and rpm range)since I bought it new in 2017. It got louder as I put more milage on it but it seemed plateau at 50000km. Mines at 130000km now and it drives fine and it seems like the noise is still there.

OP
OP
Wheats027

Wheats027

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My cars has been doing this(same sound and rpm range)since I bought it new in 2017. It got louder as I put more milage on it but it seemed plateau at 50000km. Mines at 130000km now and it drives fine and it seems like the noise is still there.
Interesting!
I saw some responses like this on other threads. With no actual outcomes. I feel determined to find this now. Mine is definitely a new or more recent noise as it was not making this noise for the first few years and up to 13-14k miles or so.

OP
OP
Wheats027

Wheats027

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I actually emailed Derek at IMW since he tunes an FK8 Type R it seems every other day.
He mentioned he has seen this sound before and when the engine was torn down there was a bent rod.
Not enough to cause a change in compression or enough to cause a check engine light.
The problem is I am not sure where this leaves me. Eventhough I still have 1 year left on the factory warranty, the dealership will just say its a "noise" and would need to tear down the engine to possibly find it.
There could be an overrev code in the computer to that could have caused this, and could deny any warranty work.
Kind of a shitty position.
Even though the car runs and drives fine I just don't feel right about it.

SmokeGhost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 civic type r
Country flag
Just enjoy the car or make an excuse to do a full engine build. 🤷🏻

OP
OP
Wheats027

Wheats027

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just enjoy the car or make an excuse to do a full engine build. 🤷🏻
I'm trying. I have actually been driving it more lately. Kind of like a, "If something is actually wrong, go out there and break it" lol. This way I could make a real game plan. Yes, in the moment the only real option I have is to just keep driving the thing.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually emailed Derek at IMW since he tunes an FK8 Type R it seems every other day.
He mentioned he has seen this sound before and when the engine was torn down there was a bent rod.
Not enough to cause a change in compression or enough to cause a check engine light.
The problem is I am not sure where this leaves me. Eventhough I still have 1 year left on the factory warranty, the dealership will just say its a "noise" and would need to tear down the engine to possibly find it.
There could be an overrev code in the computer to that could have caused this, and could deny any warranty work.
Kind of a shitty position.
Even though the car runs and drives fine I just don't feel right about it.
An overrev code doesn't cause a CEL but it can still be found with an OBDII reader if you want to check before taking it to a dealer.

Dgonzalesfk8

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Country flag
Unfortunately, NO.
Still has yet to change or affect the cars performance.
Damn, yea I have the same sound that starts after 1500 rpm but starting to get emissions warning
Sponsored