Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Last year SynthCarbon released real carbon fiber shark fin antenna overlays. At the time they were the only seller I knew of making these. And even though I heard some negatives about the company --- things like them basically just selling AliExpress type Chinese stuff, I placed my order. And mind you for a small piece like this they weren't cheap.

Today I was detailing my car and had a WTF moment. What I thought was dirt or something on the antenna cover turned out to be nothing of the sort. The clearcoat was literally peeling off. I touched it and more flaked off. They claim to sell high quality stuff and mention that they even "ceramic coat" these pieces prior to shipping.

Honda Civic 10th gen SynthCarbon shark fin antenna peeling after only 11 months im

Look, I know this stuff weathers over time but after only 11 months? I've had some carbon fiber on the exterior of my car for 2-3 times as long as this and it never got to the point the clearcoat just peeled off. And I wax it regularly.

I contacted SynthCarbon and they never responded.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Only 11 months.

Last edited:

Ducota

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si 2021 Accord Sport 2.0 2015 FiT Sport
Country flag
sand and re-spray with a quality clear coat. finish with a
ceramic coat.

Steaulo

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7
Country flag
I agree. Hit it with some 320 grit and finish with 400. 2k clearcoat should be better than whatever they used. I've seen some worse-for-wear. You should see the apr wing I'm working on :rofl:
Sponsored