what turbo should I put in my FK7 CVT?

yaom1ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 CVT
Country flag
I have an OEM Si/CRV turbo and an M.H.I. turbo to put on this month, but I am unsure what to use yet. I have an oil cooler and a CVT cooler that I will install at the same time. Si/CRV turbo I can use Hondata Base Map and the M.H.I. turbo would need a $550 custom tune. I could save the M.H.I. turbo for a built motor but I'm not 100% sure that would ever happen. Or I could put the Si/CRV turbo in now and the M.H.I. turbo later.
Hondata dyno shows 260wtq with a Si/CRV turbo on a CVT.
I have PRL Race Intake and Flex Fuel installed and I put in Intercooler + piping and Inlet Pipe when I do the turbo.

Honda Civic 10th gen what turbo should I put in my FK7 CVT? fk7 turbo chart
Sponsored

hattedchimp

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK7 Honda Civic Sport Hatch CVT
Country flag
bumping

I'd also like to know which turbo to upgrade to whenever I get to that point in my build. I still need to get my tuner and CAI and intercooler, and possibly a inlet pipe. Not planning on flex fuel or a dyno tune. Will probably just use a base map that comes with a KTuner

sbace_hamb

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7 EX-T
Country flag
bumping

I'd also like to know which turbo to upgrade to whenever I get to that point in my build. I still need to get my tuner and CAI and intercooler, and possibly a inlet pipe. Not planning on flex fuel or a dyno tune. Will probably just use a base map that comes with a KTuner
You won't really be getting the most out of an upgraded turbo with just a basemap, and actually could end up doing more harm than good. If you upgrade your turbo, you either need the basemap that Hondata built for using the Si turbo, or you will need a custom tune.

OP
OP

yaom1ng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7 CVT
Country flag

hattedchimp

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You won't really be getting the most out of an upgraded turbo with just a basemap, and actually could end up doing more harm than good. If you upgrade your turbo, you either need the basemap that Hondata built for using the Si turbo, or you will need a custom tune.
well in that case I could get that hondata over the KTuner but I'd lose the screen functionality which in reality I don't think I need since im not gonna be racing or doing constant pulls. I just wanted the power there for passing, acceleration, etc.

sbace_hamb

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7 EX-T
Country flag
well in that case I could get that hondata over the KTuner but I'd lose the screen functionality which in reality I don't think I need since im not gonna be racing or doing constant pulls. I just wanted the power there for passing, acceleration, etc.
Yeah I think if you're planning out in advance, that's going to be your most plug-and-play option. Hondata tuner so you have their basemap already, then when you get the Si/CRV turbo you can just drop it in and flash.

hattedchimp

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah I think if you're planning out in advance, that's going to be your most plug-and-play option. Hondata tuner so you have their basemap already, then when you get the Si/CRV turbo you can just drop it in and flash.
sounds good man. Thanks for letting me know and saving me a huge pain. But a quick question, if I don't decide on upgrading the turbo I could just use the KTuner. I've read in a forum here the stock turbo is still decent once tuned but I feel I can always swap a KTuner for a hondata if I want to upgrade to an SI turbo to not spend a big dollar on an aftermarket turbo.

sbace_hamb

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic FK7 EX-T
Country flag
sounds good man. Thanks for letting me know and saving me a huge pain. But a quick question, if I don't decide on upgrading the turbo I could just use the KTuner. I've read in a forum here the stock turbo is still decent once tuned but I feel I can always swap a KTuner for a hondata if I want to upgrade to an SI turbo to not spend a big dollar on an aftermarket turbo.
Yeah man if you're not worried about purchasing two different tuning devices, you could absolutely get the Ktuner first. I personally use the Phearable 1.5R with a Ktuner v1.2 (no screen) and it's been a ton of fun.

hattedchimp

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah man if you're not worried about purchasing two different tuning devices, you could absolutely get the Ktuner first. I personally use the Phearable 1.5R with a Ktuner v1.2 (no screen) and it's been a ton of fun.
the phearable is already on the KTuners? I've read some people buy their tunes but I always thought that was for custom tunes but I don't understand how that works. do you buy them? or are those already pre-installed? I've heard phearable 1.5R, 6, 12, 21psi, or tuned by someone and they give a name . Which I know the psi is just p pounds per square inch. But i've heard of "free" tunes which im assuming is the basemaps. I'm new to all this tuning stuff

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
You can buy your KTuner from Phearable and can choose their regular 1.5 tune as a freebie. For $49 more they'll throw in the 1.5R (the one you want). Phearable's Non-Si tunes are 15/20/24 psi.

Side note: I know you've mentioned you know nothing about tuning and performance modding so take this advice from someone with 40 years in the business.

You mentioned you mostly just want more passing power. You don't need a bigger turbo. You don't even need any bolt ons to start. Just flashing the Phearable 1.5R will have you thinking someone stuck a small V6 in your engine bay. And it's smooth as silk.

Last edited:

hattedchimp

First Name
Ariel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You can buy your KTuner from Phearable and can choose their regular 1.5 tune as a freebie. For $49 more they'll throw in the 1.5R (the one you want). Phearable's Non-Si tunes are 15/20/24 psi.

Side note: I know you've mentioned you know nothing about tuning and performance modding so take this advice from someone with 40 years in the business.

You mentioned you mostly just want more passing power. You don't need a bigger turbo. You don't even need any bolt ons to start. Just flashing the Phearable 1.5R will have you thinking someone stuck a small V6 in your engine bay. And it's smooth as silk.
I'll take your advice. Thank you for it honestly. I've learned a lot on this site about my car and what it can do, and now I think I can get the KTuner first rather than any other bolt-ons. I think I'm just paranoid with the cooling on the turbo since I'm in texas and its around that time where it starts to get a bit warmer.

I'll make sure to add my car to your tuning thread once I get the tune in.

Robot3RK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

Would the Phearable 1.5R work on 91 octane without adding any splash of e85? Is it worth going from standard Phearable 1.5 to the 1.5R version on just 91 octane only?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Would the Phearable 1.5R work on 91 octane without adding any splash of e85? Is it worth going from standard Phearable 1.5 to the 1.5R version on just 91 octane only?
John Vega absolutely says NO to using straight 91 on the 1.5R tune. If you have access to E85 it's well worth the upgrade over the regular 1.5 tune. It's not a huge power bump but the removal of the artificial knock control rise is a big deal.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I think I'm just paranoid with the cooling on the turbo since I'm in texas and its around that time where it starts to get a bit warmer.

I'll make sure to add my car to your tuning thread once I get the tune in.
Make an intercooler your second mod. :cool:
Sponsored