Rear Window Defroster Not Working

denniswilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
My 2018 Civic 4-Door Sedan rear window defroster in not working. The amber light on the defroster button illuminates. I pulled the C-Pillar passenger side molding cover off and tested the hot lead voltage at the defroster grid wire disconnected from the tab and ground at the door latch and also the ground nut. Zero voltage from that wire. So I would guess there is no voltage going to the grid. I would think it should be 12V at that tab wire. What could be wrong? Thank you.

Incidentally....I did have my A/C evaporator replaced at the dealer a few weeks ago.....so I looked under the dash for any loose cables....I couldn't see any.... but then again, I don't know what to look for.
Sponsored

Last edited:

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
It could be the fuse. But it is a special group fuse. I am not entirely sure how to test it. See the photos below.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Window Defroster Not Working 1000007486

Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Window Defroster Not Working 1000007483

OP
OP
denniswilson

denniswilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
Thanks @calonzo . My friend who is an old retired Nissan Technician told me I'm checking for 12v wrong. He said I have to use the multimeter + probe on the hot grid tab, and the - ground probe on the grid ground......not the chassis ground. He thinks the Honda defroster isnt grounded to the chassis.....rather its grounded through the switch, timer, grid and relay. So, he said to test for 12v use the hot and ground tabs on the defroster grid. He said most likely its getting power because the amber light on the button is illuminated and I probably have broken grid lines. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks for your help @calonzo

OP
OP
denniswilson

denniswilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
Ok.... I was wrong....I was testing the wrong wire.....My bad.....I was testing the antenna wire...lol. So I tested the two wires towards the bottom of the grid and I am getting 12.5 volts. The system is working so I guess the defroster grid has damage from when the window tint guy tinted my back window. I might want to get a new window since I use the defroster occasionally in the morning. Safelite wants $500.

OP
OP
denniswilson

denniswilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan LX
Country flag
That stinks. Shouldn't the window tint guy pay for it?
Its a long story @calonzo .....the tint guy urged me to leave the original tint on the back window with the few bubbles. I took a chance and told him to remove the existing tint and install new tint....so its kinda my fault too and took a chance. Anyways....I wanted the rear defroster to work so I replaced the back window at a nice shop for $350. I'm leaving it un-tinted, and I am happy now that the defroster works and I have a clear view out the back. Expensive lesson learned about rear window defrosters and tint.

Now my next project is to "touch-up" the rusted spots on my steel rims. Researched and spoke to the people at Eastwood Paint. They make a rust encapsulator black paint for just such projects painting over rust. UV and heat resistant.

Honda Civic 10th gen Rear Window Defroster Not Working Eastwood

Last edited: