First Name
Willi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Hi guys..

Short story, i can't buy online catless downpipe such as PRL or whatever bwcause i live in California,

I can't find a shop in San Francisco bay area who is willing to install catless downpipe for me (please recommend me if you know any), because they said it's ilegal mods,

I do not have the space to do it my self either.

What if...

I just use the Antilag from my Hondata, blew through that Cat converter, make it (mostly) hollow through. Will that work? And i can just go any shop to install new OEM downpipe when i need to do smogcheck ( 5 year from now or so )

I apologize if this is sounds too stupid..
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Hi guys..

Short story, i can't buy online catless downpipe such as PRL or whatever bwcause i live in California,

I can't find a shop in San Francisco bay area who is willing to install catless downpipe for me (please recommend me if you know any), because they said it's ilegal mods,

What if...

I just use the Antilag from my Hondata, blew through that Cat converter, make it (mostly) hollow through. Will that work? And i can just go any shop to install new OEM downpipe when i need to do smogcheck ( 5 year from now or so )

I think you already know the answer .. STUPID -- ILLEGAL -- and when you get caught EXPENSIVE.

S. 43A(1) amended by Nos 20/1988 ss 12(a), 14(a), 49/2000 s. 3(5).

(1) A person who is the registered owner of a motor vehicle, the owner of an unregistered motor vehicle or the driver of a motor vehicle which is used on a highway and at the time of use—

S. 43A(1)(a) amended by No. 127/1986 s. 102(Sch. 4 item 8.2).

(a) is not equipped with any device or equipment required by the regulations to be fitted to the motor vehicle so as to prevent or minimize pollution; or

(b) is capable of emitting into the atmosphere any matter that does not comply with any prescribed—

(i) emission standard; or

(ii) standard of maximum permissible concentration—

for emissions—

shall be guilty of an offence.

Penalty: 60 penalty units.
Back in 2014/2015 a current penalty unit was:
(even more in 2018/2019)

Penalty units
Penalty units are used to define the amount payable for fines for many offences. For example, the fine for selling a tobacco product to a person aged under 18 is four penalty units.

One penalty unit is currently $147.61 from 1 July 2014 to 30 June 2015.

The rate for penalty units is indexed each financial year so that it is raised in line with inflation. Any change to the value of a penalty unit will happen on 1 July each year.
$147.61 * 60 units = $8,856.60
Honda Civic 10th gen Question : i have this stupid idea. character0229
6.2 Exhaust Systems
The following applies instead of Section 2.7 of VSB 14 Modification Code LA. Modified and alternative exhaust systems are permitted if they satisfy the following requirements:

• the exhaust system must not allow direct entry of exhaust gases into the occupant compartment
  • for vehicles fitted with one or more catalytic converters as original equipment, the catalytic converter(s) must be retained in their original location and all exhaust gas must flow through the converters at all times. Similarly any sensors positioned in the exhaust system as original equipment must be retained in their original locations

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Hi guys..

What if...

Yeah, don’t try that.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
That idea is stupid...

If you really want to go catless, just buy a new/used DP from CL, ebay, etc.

As for the install, you can try renting a stall at a self service location. A smaller shop might do it for cash with no receipt but don't count on it without a referral.

*Please note that being cat-less will make your car f***ing reek.

OP
OP
Sly_Si

Sly_Si

First Name
Willi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
@SCOPESYS i didn't know it would cost me that much if i got caught..

@Two Step Performance i most likely won't do it.. just curious what the outcome would be.

@jakdotdot i never thought of buying used DP from CL or ebay! And i have tried to ask bunch of shop if i can use their stall to work on, none of them would allow me.. everyone too scared of lawsuit nowadays.. my friend told me he used ti rent a stall from local mufler shop, but they won't do it anymore..

And i actually wanted something like a highflow catted downpipe instead..

Welp, thanks guys...

Still waiting if anyone can recommend me some place i can rent a stall to do "fun" stuff to my car..

OP
OP
Sly_Si

Sly_Si

First Name
Willi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
I wonder, what if i use catless DP, and buy a universal catalytic converter, and install it where my resonator used to be? Would that help with the smell?? @jakdotdot what do you think?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
@SCOPESYS i didn't know it would cost me that much if i got caught..
@Sly_Si

I might not have been 100% clear with that Penalty Unit quote.

The Laws and Penalty units I quoted were for Australia, not the USA. (My mistake -- bad google search - but interesting to note how strict they are in Australia)

Although I suspect that at least California law would most likely be similar,, but I will leave that to you to research for yourself, as it is YOU that is trying to do his conversion.

OP
OP
Sly_Si

Sly_Si

First Name
Willi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Yeah, scared the hell out of me already lol.. i always see bunch of cars without cat around the bay area already, i can smell it.. but i thought the only consequence is if i failed smog check.. idk if cops would pull me over if my car stinks like 69 camaro, lol

X_Gen_Si

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic Si
Country flag
Hi guys..

What if...

Simple solution...
MOVE from that shithole. Dont get me wrong "California" is beautiful and all but damn to much Rules on the people.
Lol

Genuine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan
What if you traveled out of state and got it installed? I mean, it's still illegal to drive in California but at least the install is justified lol.

farqt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 si
Country flag
don't do this. it is monumentally stupid.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Good reason to learn how to do this stuff yourself. Removing your cat and hollowing it out is very easy to do.

I second the suggestion of moving. California is like dating a really hot crazy chic. There are some benefits to staying, but eventually it's going to destroy your soul.

Mogadee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Mazdaspeed 3, '17 WOP Si Sedan
Country flag
It is actually illegal is all 50 states to remove the catalytic converter. It was made illegal by the Clean Air Act of 1990 which is enforced by the EPA. California just went 1 step further with CARB, which requires all aftermarket equipment to have undergone testing and met standards they set forth to obtain a CARB exemption #. Fines for removing or otherwise altering the exhaust system can be upwards of 5 figures. I have found some pages where people had their vehicles impounded in CA for having no mufflers, no cats, or a combination of those.

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/vehicleengine-penalty-policy_0.pdf
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/exhsysrepair.pdf

So with that, moving is not an option unless you plan on moving outside the US to somewhere with less strict laws. Or to a state/area with enforcement being lax.

Also, I am not a lawyer, so do as you wish.

RalphWiggum

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si
Country flag
My old turbo 8th gen Si was catless for about 3 years, never got pulled over.
If you get pulled over just put it back to stock, but its up to you if you want to try your luck.

thatlilwhiteone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 civicsi SOLD
Country flag
Simple solution...
MOVE from that shithole. Dont get me wrong "California" is beautiful and all but damn to much Rules on the people.
Lol
No barking from the dog NO SMOG
...... Today was a good day.
Sponsored