Cheap wheels theft

greyclocked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic LX
Country flag
Should I be worried? My Konigs were only $100 each and I am using cheapo gorilla lugs that came with a weird tube thing to remove and install them and there was a "key serial"but I don't think they are what people consider to be wheel locks. Any real need to spend $ on real locks?
Sponsored

NeoDragons

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Sedan EXT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i believe the gorilla style locks be enough to deter most would be thieves. i had those spline style locks before on my 2009 civic. but if somebody really wanted your wheels no wheel lock is going to stop them.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
Wheel locks are like any other locks - they are a deterrent, and will not stop a thief if they really want them.

More $$ locks will be harder to get to, but not impossible.

If you are truly worried, get an aftermarket alarm with paging and add a level sensor. That way when they jack the car to remove the wheel your alarm goes off and you're notified. But that's $$$$$$$.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
not worth it unless you have nicer wheels. since its a 2016 civic, you most likely have a full coverage insurance. it will be covered by that unless you got a high deductible.

UberCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Modern Steel Civic EX-L 2006 Highlander Hybrid 2002 Honda Insight 2000 Audi A6 2.7t
Country flag
Twice I have had service departments and towing companies break off the splines on my wheel locks, and both times they refused to pay for the damage. If you get them remember to remove that lug yourself before service or rescue.

Brandons2697

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX
I have full coverage on my Civic, but I'm getting new rims shortly and they're about $160 per. Should I be looking for wheel locks?

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
^Did you not read the entire thread? It's 5 posts ffs.

Also, this time trying a bit harder not to sound like an ass, but $160 a wheel is in rock bottom in terms of price. Unless you live in an area where cheap rims are commonly traded for livestock, nobody is going to steal your wheels.

OP
OP

greyclocked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic LX
Country flag

Also, this time trying a bit harder not to sound like an ass, but $160 a wheel is in rock bottom in terms of price. Unless you live in an area where cheap rims are commonly traded for livestock, nobody is going to steal your wheels.
right.... my brother in law's pickup wheels were upwards of $600 each. Totally could see a wheel lock for something like that.

inv4zn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Touring
Country flag
right.... my brother in law's pickup wheels were upwards of $600 each. Totally could see a wheel lock for something like that.
Yeah. Truck wheels are harder to steal because you need a bigger jack and physically they're larger.

Anyway, if you were to get baller 3-piece wheels at $3k a pop, then it would be a no brainer to invest in security.

But if you want wheel locks for just peace of mind (I know I did when I bought mine) then find a decent set you like.

If I were to recommend one that's function>form, Gorilla makes these special locking lugnuts where every lock has a rotating sleeve around it, so it's harder for thieves to hammer on an extension and torque it off.

Honda Civic 10th gen Cheap wheels theft gor-61681_w

Make sure they'll clear your wheels, and that the thread pitch and seat type match though.

Dicecube

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag

:lol:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civics have been Canada's best-selling car for years and because of that they are also on the list of most frequently stolen cars. Oportunistic thieves in need of new rubber that fits their ride wouldn't hesitate to leave your car on blocks. I don't know about Florida, but in New Westminster, BC my husband's uncle got into his POS and didn't notice it was on blocks until it didn't move. That was years ago and his wheels wouldn't have been anything special, but I doubt if times have changed. Also, I wouldn't want to lose my no-claims discount over stolen wheels.

LX16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
I had a friend who had 4 different sets of wheel locks on his 4 lugs wheels, no joke. This was back when spinners were cool. Nobody ever stole them, but man, if he would've ever lost one of the 4 keys, he'd have been screwed. Like people have said, they are a decent deterrent, but they can also be gotten around. That's the reason I'm keeping my stock LX wheels, nobody wants those. Plus, I think Honda's wheel designs fit the car best anyway.

OP
OP

greyclocked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic LX
Country flag
I had a friend who had 4 different sets of wheel locks on his 4 lugs wheels, no joke. This was back when spinners were cool. Nobody ever stole them, but man, if he would've ever lost one of the 4 keys, he'd have been screwed. Like people have said, they are a decent deterrent, but they can also be gotten around. That's the reason I'm keeping my stock LX wheels, nobody wants those. Plus, I think Honda's wheel designs fit the car best anyway.
Yea my wife liked the stock lax caps. I just couldn't get over that hubcaps should have gone away in the 90's. If the lax rim design was offered in a alloy it would have easily been the best design of the bunch imo

LX16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic coupe lx
Yea my wife liked the stock lax caps. I just couldn't get over that hubcaps should have gone away in the 90's. If the lax rim design was offered in a alloy it would have easily been the best design of the bunch imo
I guess I look at it different, because if I want to totally change the look of my car, if it has steel wheels and hubcaps, then $50 and 10 minutes would do it. My Coupe has the aluminum wheels, but I am planning on putting the 16" wheels and covers from the 9th gen Coupe on mine. I just think they look a little better. And I'm the only one I gotta please.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My rims are just over $300 each plus taxes. I have the nuts that require an abnormal socket, but honestly, that's what insurance is for. I'm not going to spend lots on wheel locks, since a wheel nut lock can only deter a petty thief looking to make a quick buck, not a smart one looking for the jackpot.

However, since my rims are discontinued.. if they were stolen, I'd be royally pissed that I couldn't replace them with identical ones.
Sponsored