First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Hatchback Si Swap
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Before I begin: I got a little cocky. My engine swap went well, so I decided I'd tackle the cluster next. BOY was that a mistake.

The cluster I purchased from LKQ was a 761 mile Si Sedan cluster with ACC and LKAS (of course), and that was my first mistake. Reprogramming these EEPROMs takes semi-legal and very hard to come by scripts, the Si EEPROM has NO (NONE) similarities in format to the Hatchback EEPROM. So, I had to ask around and get somebody to modify my EEPROM dump and STILL modify that a small amount for it to program and display my actual mileage at the time. Everything worked in the digital gauges besides an ADS light, from G force to Brake / Throttle! Or so I thought. On first start up I noticed something off: The tachometer (RPM) was pegged at 0, despite the engine running. This never has gone away in 2 days of driving. The shift lights won't work either as I confirmed. So now I am relegated to Ktuner RPM gauges. And the awful Adaptive Suspension error! It makes me so angry, there isn't even a stored code since the car doesn't support ADS. I would rate my effort 8/10 so far, tearing apart the dash and microwire soldering 26AWG wires onto a board, figuring out supply voltages to program the EEPROM without turning on the rest of the cluster, tearing apart my gauges, its been a nightmare. I will still document my successes or failures here. Hopefully my extension harness with a CAN BUS data manipulator idea works.
Sponsored

OP
OP
mrburgerUS

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Damn, you got some big brains and balls to attempt to do something like that. I'm glad someone is trying this, It gets people to think outside the box. Much respect and Good luck on your project, keep us posted ??

OP
OP
mrburgerUS

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Update: With some help from Comma.ai's community I was able to reverse engineer the message protocol for internal CAN BUS messages. This is confirmed working on a 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Dataset of over 100,000 messages from 0x158 and 0x17C. It works with a VBA macro, since the data has to be manipulated pretty heavily for the "checksum".

I believe it will work on other messages, just don't take my word for it. Other ECU messages are untested. ALSO: IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND CAN BUS DO NOT USE THIS.

YOU CAN CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE BY MESSING WITH THE CAN BUS.

For 2020-2021, the easiest access to the cluster CAN signal is actually at the back of the radio. F-CAN C is Honda's name for it.

I will update as I receive more details. I also will need a CAN dump from a 2017-2020 Si, but I'll ask around locally first.

Onward and upward, I guess.

Attachments

OP
OP
mrburgerUS

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmmmm.....

In the words of a tiktok girl, I manifested it. I managed to find out how the Si tachometer ticks, and send messages. I will be turning my prototype into a working plug n play product that plugs into the back of the Gauges.

The software and hardware will be open-source after the first run of adapters. I am currently thinking about $250 for a tested module with the harness extensions already made. That will include a (custom designed and validated) PCB with automotive-certified components, as well as a 3D printed case and harness plugs, from Honda's own OEM.

Software-wise, it runs on a simple Arduino-based ATMega chip, and translates the tachometer values to Si-usable values. In addition, the ADS error that pops up every start will be eliminated, all part of the full plug-n-play experience.

Anyways, here's a video of me controlling the RPM through a prototype adapter. Just to prove I'm not full of it.

ManfromRI

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Hmmmm.....

In the words of a tiktok girl, I manifested it. I managed to find out how the Si tachometer ticks, and send messages. I will be turning my prototype into a working plug n play product that plugs into the back of the Gauges.

The software and hardware will be open-source after the first run of adapters. I am currently thinking about $250 for a tested module with the harness extensions already made. That will include a (custom designed and validated) PCB with automotive-certified components, as well as a 3D printed case and harness plugs, from Honda's own OEM.

Software-wise, it runs on a simple Arduino-based ATMega chip, and translates the tachometer values to Si-usable values. In addition, the ADS error that pops up every start will be eliminated, all part of the full plug-n-play experience.

Anyways, here's a video of me controlling the RPM through a prototype adapter. Just to prove I'm not full of it.

Nice man!!! I'm glad you got it sorted.

Maybe next you can tackle the Android Headunit ??

I'd like to figure out a way to copy all the .apks that the Headunit runs and transfer them over to a never updated unit, but I'm illiterate in Linux. I used to root android phones and modified recoveries, and roms. But this is totally different lol.

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Would this plug and play adapter be all you need to swap the cluster?

elvisnaite

First Name
Elvisnaite
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic EX 2.0 2017 (South America Model)
Country flag
Hmmmm.....

Update: With some help from Comma.ai's community I was able to reverse engineer the message protocol for internal CAN BUS messages. This is confirmed working on a 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Dataset of over 100,000 messages from 0x158 and 0x17C. It works with a VBA macro, since the data has to be manipulated pretty heavily for the "checksum".

I believe it will work on other messages, just don't take my word for it. Other ECU messages are untested. ALSO: IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND CAN BUS DO NOT USE THIS.

YOU CAN CAUSE SERIOUS DAMAGE BY MESSING WITH THE CAN BUS.

For 2020-2021, the easiest access to the cluster CAN signal is actually at the back of the radio. F-CAN C is Honda's name for it.

I will update as I receive more details. I also will need a CAN dump from a 2017-2020 Si, but I'll ask around locally first.

Onward and upward, I guess.

congratulations, is there progress with canbus decodification? it possible add info on cluster display? Like oil temp and Battery voltage?

OP
OP
mrburgerUS

mrburgerUS

First Name
Nicholai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
congratulations, is there progress with canbus decodification? it possible add info on cluster display? Like oil temp and Battery voltage?
There are no Oil Temperature sensors on the civic, only an Oil Pressure switch, located on the water pump passage. It does give me an idea for those shiny P3 gauges PRL showcased. Battery Voltage is visible through Hondahack Pro, but I cannot otherwise modify the cluster "widgets" from what I can tell. Somebody smarter can correct me if they want.

elvisnaite

First Name
Elvisnaite
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There are no Oil Temperature sensors on the civic, only an Oil Pressure switch, located on the water pump passage. It does give me an idea for those shiny P3 gauges PRL showcased. Battery Voltage is visible through Hondahack Pro, but I cannot otherwise modify the cluster "widgets" from what I can tell. Somebody smarter can correct me if they want.
thanks for feedback,

one more question, my civic trim don’t have Honda sensing, do you know if case install oem radar milliwave and windshield cam, can canbus gateway to find it and to activate ?

Romeoridgee

Honda Dealer Tech.
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 SPT 17 EX-T 08 LX 21 CRV 12 Acc 14 328I CONV
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You have to change almost everything about the car electronically including modules and harnesses. Even the windshield.

elvisnaite

First Name
Elvisnaite
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You have to change almost everything about the car electronically including modules and harnesses. Even the windshield.
radarmilliwave and camera, is only 12v and canbus, the cam is the module. Harness only to radar and canbus and this is easy.
Sponsored