First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CTR, 2024 Ford Maverick
Country flag
Just LogR
That's all I have too. What sucks is that the oil temp info is not saved as is the IAT and coolant temp. When I go back to review this after a track session I like to make sure things aren't getting out of hand, where I didn't notice. Since I'm pretty new at this I spend more time on my line and speed control and don't check gauges often enough yet.

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
My oil temp gauge isn't reading! Accurately since I swapped to the thermostatic plate for some reason. So I think I may finally bite the bullet for a Unit2Fab oil pan with a dedicated bung.

OP
OP
MediaMaster

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
About to purchase Kuhmo 265/35/18 tires. Should I get them heat cycled and why? It's an extra 15 per tire. The tires will be mainly for track use.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
About to purchase Kuhmo 265/35/18 tires. Should I get them heat cycled and why? It's an extra 15 per tire. The tires will be mainly for track use.
Yes. New tires the rubber compound is 'raw'. By heat treating it, either by the dealer or yourself on the track, the tire is heat and cooled to temper the rubber for best life/duration. You can do it yourself, I forget the steps, but it's about heating and cooling the tires be a specific cycle. Like pre-bedding your brake pads.

I look at it this way, when I get to the track, do I want to spend any of my session time tempering the tires? Or do I want to know that it's already been done and I can just go out and run? For me, $60 is worth the track time I don't have to spend tempering the tires.

OP
OP
MediaMaster

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yes. New tires the rubber compound is 'raw'. By heat treating it, either by the dealer or yourself on the track, the tire is heat and cooled to temper the rubber for best life/duration. You can do it yourself, I forget the steps, but it's about heating and cooling the tires be a specific cycle. Like pre-bedding your brake pads.

I look at it this way, when I get to the track, do I want to spend any of my session time tempering the tires? Or do I want to know that it's already been done and I can just go out and run? For me, $60 is worth the track time I don't have to spend tempering the tires.
Better way to look at it. Thanks

OP
OP
MediaMaster

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OK. Tracking season about to start. HEL oil cooler-check; C&R race radiator-check; C&R intercooler-check; 2nd radiator-check; vented hood-check. Now that should keep me going fast, I'd better get to work on upgrading the brake pads to make sure I can slow when necessary!

OP
OP
MediaMaster

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
OK. Tracking season about to start. HEL oil cooler-check; C&R race radiator-check; C&R intercooler-check; 2nd radiator-check; vented hood-check. Now that should keep me going fast, I'd better get to work on upgrading the brake pads to make sure I can slow when necessary!
New Carbotech XP-12 pads in front. 265/35R-18 KUMHO V730 on new 9.5" wheels. Heat cycled tires and bedded pads.

Ready for Road America - Wednesday.

Lots of new stuff check out first then ready for tons of fun.

OP
OP
MediaMaster

MediaMaster

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
New Carbotech XP-12 pads in front. 265/35R-18 KUMHO V730 on new 9.5" wheels. Heat cycled tires and bedded pads.

Ready for Road America - Wednesday.

Lots of new stuff check out first then ready for tons of fun.
Well the results are coming in. New tires and brakes cut about 3.5 seconds off my lap time at Road America quickly. Kuhmos are so much better than the PS4s. I think there's at least another 3-5 seconds when I get my trail braking down better. Too sloppy today, I even found myself cone driving a couple of times.

Spent way too much time behind a couple of assholes who think just because their car accelerates faster than mine that they are quicker. I was at least 10 seconds faster. Jeeez

No issues with the cooling at all. Of course it was only 70 out. Peak oil temp was 243, coolant was 210, IAT was 118. This was all late in the day. Car pulls hard all day when you keep temps in check.

Was able to stay right with a GT-4 and a M4 for several laps.
Sponsored

Last edited: