Top Gear - Chris Harris: CTR vs LC500 full video

sean465

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Championship White Civic Type R FK8 R-03927
Country flag
maybe I need time to get used to the new cast. Not feeling the impostors. cool video just because i'ts on the R.
After the next series (joeys last one) they have binned poor Rory and we have paddy Mcguiness and Freddie flintoff, one a game show host and one an ex cricketer....top gear is officially dead to me (ok will watch the Chris Harris bits)
Sponsored

S2k_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S2000
Country flag
I've argued it before. Dollar for dollar it takes 60k plus cars to beat the R. Almost every car someone compares too or says out performs the R is always a minimum twice the price.
I can go down to my local Chevy dealer and buy a 2018 LT1 Vette that would spank the Type R for $51k, a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE for $46k that will spank the Type R, or a Mustang GT Performance Pack for $49k that would also spank the Type R on a race track. So, you'd only need to spend as little as $10k more for any of those cars.

However, $10k is $10k, so for the money the Type R is still an excellent bang for the buck but it doesn't take a $90k car to beat it.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I can go down to my local Chevy dealer and buy a 2018 LT1 Vette that would spank the Type R for $51k, a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE for $46k that will spank the Type R, or a Mustang GT Performance Pack for $49k that would also spank the Type R on a race track. So, you'd only need to spend as little as $10k more for any of those cars.

However, $10k is $10k, so for the money the Type R is still an excellent bang for the buck but it doesn't take a $90k car to beat it.
Yeah idk what he's smoking. Type R is great and all but I wouldn't over-hype it. For reference, Camaro SS 1LE has a Streets of Willow laptime of 1:20.67 compared to the CTR's time of 1:25.07. Nearly 5 seconds faster from a muscle car that according to a lot of people "can't handle" :what:. Would also decimate it in a straight line. No hate on the R but these are just facts.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Yeah idk what he's smoking. Type R is great and all but I wouldn't over-hype it. For reference, Camaro SS 1LE has a Streets of Willow laptime of 1:20.67 compared to the CTR's time of 1:25.07. Nearly 5 seconds faster from a muscle car that according to a lot of people "can't handle" :what:. Would also decimate it in a straight line. No hate on the R but these are just facts.
Willow is favorable to cars with high HP, you can carry a lot of speed on this track.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Willow is favorable to cars with high HP, you can carry a lot of speed on this track.
True, but that was just an example. Car and driver places the 1LE's time 9 seconds ahead of the CTR in their lightning lap, and if you just do a google lap times of the camaro and ctr it beats it out with a considerable gap, doesn't matter which track. Tbh though you can't really compare these cars, they're in different leagues altogether. I'm just saying that you don't have to pay double the CTR's cost to get a car that beats it out on the track and in a straight line.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
True, but that was just an example. Car and driver places the 1LE's time 9 seconds ahead of the CTR in their lightning lap, and if you just do a google lap times of the camaro and ctr it beats it out with a considerable gap, doesn't matter which track. Tbh though you can't really compare these cars, they're in different leagues altogether. I'm just saying that you don't have to pay double the CTR's cost to get a car that beats it out on the track and in a straight line.
Honestly when I wrote this I relived some track time I had in my C5 z06. Just sat there staring at the ceiling thinking about the speeds I used to go. Had SLP loud mouths too, damn... scary.

Wasn’t even thinking about the Type-R.

Anyways back to the thread. Ya I didn’t get the type-r for that. For me it is plenty fast, really comfortable in comfort mode, and small. I wanted a smaller tight car.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Honestly when I wrote this I relived some track time I had in my C5 z06. Just sat there staring at the ceiling thinking about the speeds I used to go. Had SLP loud mouths too, damn... scary.

Wasn’t even thinking about the Type-R.

Anyways back to the thread. Ya I didn’t get the type-r for that. For me it is plenty fast, really comfortable in comfort mode, and small. I wanted a smaller tight car.
For sure. If your looking for something small, agile, and precise. No better car on the market.

fiachamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 CTR, DC5 RSX Type S
Country flag
Streets of Willow is not a high HP track. Big Willow is. That said, I was at Streets in December (in my DC5) and saw a bone stock Type R with 19" RE71s drop a 1:23.5 with a passenger. Go down to 18s + Hondata + sway bar, and it could definitely be a 1:20-1:21 car for under $40k

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This was cool! I like Chris Harris personally, he’s a blast to watch.

Also, I’m probably the only one who noticed this, but how are the fog lights on with what appears to be only DRLs? (Around the first corner of the actual race you can see it) My fog lights are tied to the headlights being on, and I’m wondering if other markets don’t have that restriction.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
Streets of Willow is not a high HP track. Big Willow is. That said, I was at Streets in December (in my DC5) and saw a bone stock Type R with 19" RE71s drop a 1:23.5 with a passenger. Go down to 18s + Hondata + sway bar, and it could definitely be a 1:20-1:21 car for under $40k
Damn, 1:20 would be fast...

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
you guys should just follow @Stig_jdm, specifically his IG account. He lives at the track and has done the fk8 plenty of justice. If you want to know what the car is capable of, watch his videos. You might want to stop buying parts and just learn how to drive.

He's my benchmark. :p

Driveitlikeuboughtit

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW CTR
Country flag
you guys should just follow @Stig_jdm, specifically his IG account. He lives at the track and has done the fk8 plenty of justice. If you want to know what the car is capable of, watch his videos. You might want to stop buying parts and just learn how to drive.

He's my benchmark. :p
He's posted here
Sponsored