First Name
Vijay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic 4-Dr EX
Country flag
2017 2.0L, 102k mi.

SeaFoamed the crankcase (4.4oz), in the fuel tank (11.6oz), and soray in the intake manifold, changed to Mobil 1 high mileage, Purolator Boss filter.

Do I need to replace the timing chain? I’ve read that it just needs to be inspected, should be replaced between 80-120k miles, leave it alone it will last the life of the engine.

I heard the K20C2 needs its valves adjusted around 100k, any merit to this?

Transmission fluid change? Last changed at 35k and 80k.

Also suspect my CV joints are gone. Full left or right turn makes a ticking noise when moving. Dealer wants $750 for driver’s and $690 for passenger’s side.

Anything else I should get checked/replaced? I’d also like to know if my injectors are properly spraying.
Sponsored

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Why are you running Seafoam in the crankcase? It's a solvent and will dilute the oil. Some people use it in the crankcase on old, high mileage cars, just before an oil change, to remove sludge. And while it may have some merit in that situation, there is no reason to use it otherwise, and it may cause harm to leave it in the engine for an extended period of time.

The timing chain should last the life of the engine. Where ever you read that 80-120k is normal life of the chain, never listen to that source again.

100k seems reasonable for a valve clearance check.

CVT fluid changes at 50-60k is reasonable.

CV joint clicking while turning needs to be evaluated for what it is. There is no rule of thumb for CV failure, and they typically last for a lot more than 100k miles.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
For your injectors, if they were dirty and not spraying properly, the engine would be either running a bit rough or your fuel economy would be down from normal, maybe only 1 mpg or less sometimes. If you're using fuel system cleaners though you should be ok.

As Nessism said, seafoam in the crankcase is only to run the engine for 10-15 min at idle before an oil change. If you're driving the car normally with that in there, you're washing away all the lubricant from the cylinder walls and other parts of the engine, which will increase wear on your engine. Get that out of there if this is the case. Also, if you're doing normal intervals for your oil change, that's not required.

BBRDLY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic LX Coupe 2L
Why are you running Seafoam in the crankcase? It's a solvent and will dilute the oil. Some people use it in the crankcase on old, high mileage cars, just before an oil change, to remove sludge. And while it may have some merit in that situation, there is no reason to use it otherwise, and it may cause harm to leave it in the engine for an extended period of time.

The timing chain should last the life of the engine. Where ever you read that 80-120k is normal life of the chain, never listen to that source again.

100k seems reasonable for a valve clearance check.

CVT fluid changes at 50-60k is reasonable.

CV joint clicking while turning needs to be evaluated for what it is. There is no rule of thumb for CV failure, and they typically last for a lot more than 100k miles.
That's what I thought about the timing chain but mine jumped it's timing at 119,000 kms, I then looked at the manual and it says that it should've been replaced at 110,000.
This is a 2017 2 door 2L naturally aspirated and my wife and I are the only people driving it so it's not because of abuse.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
That's what I thought about the timing chain but mine jumped it's timing at 119,000 kms, I then looked at the manual and it says that it should've been replaced at 110,000.
This is a 2017 2 door 2L naturally aspirated and my wife and I are the only people driving it so it's not because of abuse.
There is no reference I'm aware of to change the timing chain as part of normal maintenance. Where did you read it should be changed at 110k KM?

BBRDLY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is no reference I'm aware of to change the timing chain as part of normal maintenance. Where did you read it should be changed at 110k KM?
In my 2017 owner manual

BBRDLY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In my 2017 owner manual
It's not so much the chain that wears, it's the Teflon guides that wear down and cause a loose chain, mine jumped 3 teeth thankfully because the front valves need 4 teeth for the piston to hit, also the chain can be moved back and forth by roughly 3/4" to almost an inch.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
I have a 2017 myself, and I do not see any reference to changing the timing chain. Can someone take a screenshot and post it here?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Timing chain stretch is not actually the ‘stretching’ of the chain, it’s an elongation of the timing chain caused by wear in the chains components.
The most common cause of this phenomenon is actually lack of maintenance and regular oil changes.

I would be inspecting the timing chain tensioner & all of the teflon chain guides, looking for any signs of elongation & making my assessment from my findings there.

Nessism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T Civic
Country flag
Agree, chains don't stretch.

With rare exception, timing chains last the life of the engine. I've never heard of timing chain replacement as part of regular maintenance. Back in the day of belt driven cams, the belt must be replaced on regular intervals. But never timing chains.

BBRDLY

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still waiting...
Sorry, I forgot to reply. I will send a photo when I get back home.
You are correct, but it does say to "inspect" timing chain at 110000kms, I believe.
I will tell you more when I'm back after work tonight
Sponsored