govols187

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R, 99 Civic, 2019 Toyota Corolla
Country flag
So they did not even inspect it? Did they charge you to inspect it?
No they didn't charge me. The guy who comes out there when I showed them what was wrong said they don't have the part in stock and will order it. It was $80 for the part and they quoted me 160 to put it in. I said I'll put it in. I've put in all the wrench time on it so far so I figured I'll do this too. And if it doesn't work I'll take it back. But I have noticed that the switch lights up when engaged. And when the car is off it will light up when I pull up on it and the brake and brake system light flashes. When I push down it does nothing. So I think it doesn't work that one direction.
Sponsored

borcth

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
No they didn't charge me. The guy who comes out there when I showed them what was wrong said they don't have the part in stock and will order it. It was $80 for the part and they quoted me 160 to put it in. I said I'll put it in. I've put in all the wrench time on it so far so I figured I'll do this too. And if it doesn't work I'll take it back. But I have noticed that the switch lights up when engaged. And when the car is off it will light up when I pull up on it and the brake and brake system light flashes. When I push down it does nothing. So I think it doesn't work that one direction.
Ahh..very good then. Cross our fingers that is the issue.

AwzomSauze98

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Keep us updated. I got my 2019 last February. I think i had it 2 weeks and went to leave and could not get out of the driveway because i couldn't get the e-brake to disengaged until I realized I could use the brake hold system. I've been driving like that for a year now.

Basically, I would start up the car, put my seatbelt on and hit the brake hold button. Give it gas and it will release itself. Then when i park, I gotta make sure the brake hold system indicator is still on the dash and then unbuckle my seatbelt and i will feel the parking brake engage.

I took it apart cause i thought there was dirt in mine too, just haven't gotten around to ordering the part.

I think there's like a Honda Parts Direct that i saw had the switch for like $50. I need to order it lol

OP
OP
govols187

govols187

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Keep us updated. I got my 2019 last February. I think i had it 2 weeks and went to leave and could not get out of the driveway because i couldn't get the e-brake to disengaged until I realized I could use the brake hold system. I've been driving like that for a year now.

Basically, I would start up the car, put my seatbelt on and hit the brake hold button. Give it gas and it will release itself. Then when i park, I gotta make sure the brake hold system indicator is still on the dash and then unbuckle my seatbelt and i will feel the parking brake engage.

I took it apart cause i thought there was dirt in mine too, just haven't gotten around to ordering the part.

I think there's like a Honda Parts Direct that i saw had the switch for like $50. I need to order it lol
Will do. I'll get it and install it this weekend and hopefully it solves the issue. Did you get the Electronic Parking Brake Error on the dash too?

AwzomSauze98

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Will do. I'll get it and install it this weekend and hopefully it solves the issue. Did you get the Electronic Parking Brake Error on the dash too?
Yep, i just clear it and keep driving. It's annoying but clearly i procrastinate and dont order it

OP
OP
govols187

govols187

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yep, i just clear it and keep driving. It's annoying but clearly i procrastinate and dont order it
Mine won't clear for some reason. I've disconnected the battery for a while and it pops right back up.

SaoPaulovicFK7

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T Sport
I work at a Honda dealer as a tech and parking brake failure on the 10th gen is not at all uncommon. They probably have dealt with the same issue a few times and just suspect it to be the same fault.

OP
OP
govols187

govols187

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I work at a Honda dealer as a tech and parking brake failure on the 10th gen is not at all uncommon. They probably have dealt with the same issue a few times and just suspect it to be the same fault.
I wish they would've stuck with the tried and true hand brake. So you're saying the switch is a very common thing to break?

SaoPaulovicFK7

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5T Sport
I wish they would've stuck with the tried and true hand brake. So you're saying the switch is a very common thing to break?
I would say more like malfunctioning rather then breaking but yeah it gets stuck. Sometimes you can't release it whilst stationary. Im no expert in this as im new in the game but I know more then a few have been replaced under warranty. Suspect faulty switch. Hopefully you get it sorted 👍🏻

OP
OP
govols187

govols187

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It's fixed! It was the switch. Thanks to everyone for their ideas and help!

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Handbrake doesn't work with VSA. They went EPB so they could add the VSA and brake vectoring.

OP
OP
govols187

govols187

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Handbrake doesn't work with VSA. They went EPB so they could add the VSA and brake vectoring.
Yeah not too sure about that one. My wife's Toyota has their version of VSA(VSC)with a hand brake. Also 9th gen civics had VSA with hand brakes.

Last edited:

123sillyboy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's fixed! It was the switch. Thanks to everyone for their ideas and help!
Awesome, glad that it fixed with the switch.
My 2019 also have same e- brake issue, it sounds like 2019 has bad ebrake switch.. do you by chance have the part number?
It costs you usd$80 for just the switch!!

OP
OP
govols187

govols187

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Awesome, glad that it fixed with the switch.
My 2019 also have same e- brake issue, it sounds like 2019 has bad ebrake switch.. do you by chance have the part number?
It costs you usd$80 for just the switch!!
I don't have the part number on hand. But I do know it's different from any aftermarket ones I could find. Starting with 2019 it had different wiring because it added the red light. It was $80usd.
Sponsored